What's new

How to use an open comb razor

Hello there I had purchased a Gillette new long comb and deluxe. However my first shave with the long comb wasnt as close as I wanted and didn't feel quite the same. maybe because the handle is very light? So if you have any tips and tricks I'd be grateful. My usual razors are the razor rock mission and mentó one with a heavy handle and the other a bit less heavy, merkur variant, and the weishi tto razor.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Hello there I had purchased a Gillette new long comb and deluxe. However my first shave with the long comb wasnt as close as I wanted and didn't feel quite the same. maybe because the handle is very light? So if you have any tips and tricks I'd be grateful. My usual razors are the razor rock mission and mentó one with a heavy handle and the other a bit less heavy, merkur variant, and the weishi tto razor.

Could be you're treading too lightly I suppose, easy to swap handles and see if it's a balance /weight issue that's necessitating an adjustment in technique. Personally I weight the Common Bar Handle with tungsten putty as the poor balance annoys me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I used modern handles on all my vintage heads, which is now just an Old Type surviving. The rest have gone. I kept the Old Type because it was the most efficient - the New ones I had were pretty (one was gold) but too mild. I'm not motivated to be a vintage collector if the shaves aren't the best I can find in DEs.

I pulled out the Old Type head for my last shave and had a surprisingly close and efficient shave - very similar to my Fatip OC head. So I'd recommend an Old Type if you want vintage Gillette - cheap enough and there are look-alikes like Souplex and Rotbart which can be good too. I had both and the Souplex was decently efficient.

I've been through loads and loads of handle choices - miscellaneous brass, Bulldog in SS, titanium handles, Wolfman Guerrilla handle. The best for me were titanium at around 50g and the Guerrilla at 61g. I'm generally shooting for a total weight of 80-90g, and I like fat handles. So in the end I made myself some aluminium handles with brass inserts which are 89x16mm and 61g. Total weight 86g. For me this is perfect with an Old Type head but as usual YMMV and you'll get to your preferred handle by trial and error.

Old Type+Alu 01.jpg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
If you think that it is the handle,use the RazoRock handle that you already have.
Could be your technique . Different Razors
need to be used a few times just to figure out what works best for you.

If you think that it is the handle,use the RazoRock handle that you already have.

+2! It always takes me awhile to dial in any new hardware.

I suggest using each set-up a few times before making changes.

It’s important that you user an angle where the comb does not leave tracks in the lather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used modern handles on all my vintage heads, which is now just an Old Type surviving. The rest have gone. I kept the Old Type because it was the most efficient - the New ones I had were pretty (one was gold) but too mild. I'm not motivated to be a vintage collector if the shaves aren't the best I can find in DEs.

I pulled out the Old Type head for my last shave and had a surprisingly close and efficient shave - very similar to my Fatip OC head. So I'd recommend an Old Type if you want vintage Gillette - cheap enough and there are look-alikes like Souplex and Rotbart which can be good too. I had both and the Souplex was decently efficient.

I've been through loads and loads of handle choices - miscellaneous brass, Bulldog in SS, titanium handles, Wolfman Guerrilla handle. The best for me were titanium at around 50g and the Guerrilla at 61g. I'm generally shooting for a total weight of 80-90g, and I like fat handles. So in the end I made myself some aluminium handles with brass inserts which are 89x16mm and 61g. Total weight 86g. For me this is perfect with an Old Type head but as usual YMMV and you'll get to your preferred handle by trial and error.

View attachment 998689
Hi thanks for being informative is there just one variant of the Gillette old type or is there different ones like with the new styles for example long comb, shortcomb, and deluxe (of course color and handle variations not counting)?

It’s important that you user an angle where the comb does not leave tracks in the lather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh thanks I was actually thinking it was the opposite so a more acute angle is preferred?

Thanks I'll give it one more shot and switch handles.

Last edited:
I tried again this time with a more acute angle and making sure the combo didnt cause streaks in the lather and I got a closer shave then before, I'll give switching the handle for next time but thank you to all that helped!

Start by riding the cap and then angle downward until you see tracks of shaving cream on your face. Between those 2 points will be your sweet spot. Do a couple of test runs on your cheeks. As indicated before, if you see tracks, you’ve gone too far.

Turn off the faucet so there's pin drop silence.

Then start with the edge of the cap (not teeth) about a mm from your skin. Then
make contact and slowly scrape some lather off. Listen carefully for the sound of hairs being cut.
If you're hearing it, carry on, otherwise adjust angle till you do. Once you over a week or so,
the right angle will be set in your muscle memory.

The NEW LC is very comfortable...you won't injure yourself unless you try real hard.

NLC's are very sensitive to angle. If you don't get it right, they can skip.
Practice the angle on your cheeks beforehand.

Top Bottom