What's new

How to use an antique shave scuttle

Same, still mystified. So.. you pour hot water in the bottom to soak your brush.. but I thought you shouldn't soak your brush in hot water? Or just soak the bristles? How do you balance the handle heavy brush so that it stays bristle in?
The older scuttles stand the brush nearly upright so it doesn't fall over. I know some people say not to soak in hot water, but I have for even my high end brushes. Now, I don't soak in boiling water, just hot tap. I also don't bathe in boiling water, just hot tap.

Excellent Thread!
Thank You Mr. Canada for starting the post and the comments from everyone else.
When I first started this DE/wet shaving endeavor (about 3 months ago), I bought a modern Qshave scuttle and it works very good as a lathering bowl. Last month at an antique store, I saw an old scuttle similar to the photo posted by Mr. John Rose. At the time I assumed the upper dish was used to mix the lather but it seemed too small for that purpose so I passed on the deal. I am going to return to the store and purchase it if it is still available just for a display piece.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Excellent Thread!
Thank You Mr. Canada for starting the post and the comments from everyone else.
When I first started this DE/wet shaving endeavor (about 3 months ago), I bought a modern Qshave scuttle and it works very good as a lathering bowl. Last month at an antique store, I saw an old scuttle similar to the photo posted by Mr. John Rose. At the time I assumed the upper dish was used to mix the lather but it seemed too small for that purpose so I passed on the deal. I am going to return to the store and purchase it if it is still available just for a display piece.

Do show when you return! And I agree, they do have a certain charm to them, tempted, but I know I'll get little use out of it at this point in time.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh I understand all that, but won't it lather and spill over and down the side of the scuttle? Like how do you keep it clean/near/tidy? I suppose.. its a fine dance between picking up enough soap, but not working it to the point of lather. Also I suppose you could just hand pick up squishy puck, rince the whole thing and replace puck to dry. Interesting. Very interesting.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh I've also seen scuttles ("scuttles"?) like this:

050F5311-EFBB-4172-950F-F7BB9F65362C.jpeg

25B058B4-32E4-449B-9D11-5EAF4339D9C2.jpeg

Which seems kinda neat. I guess the base which holds the soap is on a bit of an incline, and the soap water slides into the other side which I assume is where you would pour your hot water.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Huh upon watching a youtube "geofatboy" video, they sell a "boker" version of this, and what he does is cut a peice of col conk soap into the well, microwave it, so the soap melts, and picks up soap, then lathers on the ribbed end. Interesting.

Huh upon watching a youtube "geofatboy" video, they sell a "boker" version of this, and what he does is cut a peice of col conk soap into the well, microwave it, so the soap melts, and picks up soap, then lathers on the ribbed end. Interesting.
We can all use these things how we want... But I doubt that's how it was originally intended.

(Sent from mobile)

Top Bottom