What's new

How to use a slant? Tips and Tricks for best results using a Slant?

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, or if it has already been covered. I couldn't find a better place to post it(it seemed to fit better here than in the "razor" forum) and I couldn't find a similar thread.

Could someone give me a run down on how to properly use a slant? This is assuming that the technique is at all different than using a normal DE safety razor, If that's the case then feel free to leave your tips and tricks for the best results using a Slant.

Perhaps something like this should be a Sticky? Or in the Wiki?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Not much difference at all in technique between my slant and HD. The most important difference is the application of rule number one: Pay Attention! The slant is a great razor, and is wielded like any other, but requires a light touch and your complete attention. Good luck!

Not much difference at all in technique between my slant and HD. The most important difference is the application of rule number one: Pay Attention! The slant is a great razor, and is wielded like any other, but requires a light touch and your complete attention. Good luck!

He covered the instructions fully-now read(and reread) until you understand them!:wink:

marty

A light touch, and avoid use of the "Gilette Slide", since the razor is effectively doing that for you, and combining the two will tend to result in racing stripes.

The slant is excellent at removing facial hair. It's also excellent at removing moles, zits, bumps, stray earlobes, etc. It can be key to note the location of these issues prior to the shave so that one can be extra-careful when going over them. On the other hand, if for example you've got a mole you've never liked much, here's your chance to wave goodbye to it.

Otherwise, just go for it. It's a great shave; definitely my favorite razor.

What has helped me a lot is to hold the razor as low as possible. I try to grip it at the knob. If you can control the angle, the result will be a very light touch. Give it a shot!

What has helped me a lot is to hold the razor as low as possible. I try to grip it at the knob. If you can control the angle, the result will be a very light touch. Give it a shot!

Good advice and its how i've come to use mine :smile:.

Welcome to the ever growing legion of Slant-ers. The Slant demands that you pay attention to technique and let the weight of the razor do the work.

A Big +1 to this, and also to the "NO GILLETTE SLIDE."

A few more notes: first, the Slant will cut a narrower swath than you think, so be ready to do a little overlap or touch-up. Second, as noted elsewhere, you will benefit from holding this razor at a shallow angle to start with. Third, don't start with a Feather blade. But when you're ready, the Feather might produce the best shave you've ever had.

It's a great razor. Don't be afraid, but it's not forgiving of mistakes.

I will add things I learned from other posters.

1) Make sure the blade is in correctly. The blade edge should be parallel to the razor head and protrude an even and equal distance on both sides of the head. It should not be parallel to the Slant Bar.

2) Make sure you have done #1 above!

A light touch, and avoid use of the "Gilette Slide", since the razor is effectively doing that for you, and combining the two will tend to result in racing stripes.

The slant is excellent at removing facial hair. It's also excellent at removing moles, zits, bumps, stray earlobes, etc. It can be key to note the location of these issues prior to the shave so that one can be extra-careful when going over them. On the other hand, if for example you've got a mole you've never liked much, here's your chance to wave goodbye to it.

Otherwise, just go for it. It's a great shave; definitely my favorite razor.

I'm a little confused.. What is the "Gillette slide"?

Instead of moving the razor in a straight line, up, down, across, you sort of angle it and move in a diagonal direction. The slant doesn't lend it self to that maneuver since the head is on a diagonal already. As previously stated, light touch. Don't try to get two close in one pass. Two or even three light passes is better. Welcome to the slant club ! :001_smile

To add to Slant-Fan's excellent response, the "slide" term refers to the shot of the silly lathered man with the cocky smile and hot woman behind him in Gillette commercials, as he 'slides" the razor quickly from sideburn to chin.

The woman may well be "the best a man can get," but so's the razor burn!

Welcome, once you go slant, I don't think you will go back. Shave just like you would with a regular razor, you'll see how closer it cuts.

I have the 39c slant 'sledgehammer'. The weighted barberpole handle provides 4 oz of weight so the razor does all the work without need to apply any pressure. Shape of head lends itself to providing right angle without thinking about it. Slanted blade gets trouble areas under jawline and neck without need for multiple passes, J-hooking, etc. Get BBS shave in two passes wihout irritation or nicks. I find it a very safe razor. Have never cut myself with it, even when getting sloppy and being inattentive.

I have the 39c slant 'sledgehammer'. The weighted barberpole handle provides 4 oz of weight so the razor does all the work without need to apply any pressure. Shape of head lends itself to providing right angle without thinking about it. Slanted blade gets trouble areas under jawline and neck without need for multiple passes, J-hooking, etc. Get BBS shave in two passes wihout irritation or nicks. I find it a very safe razor. Have never cut myself with it, even when getting sloppy and being inattentive.

Which directions are your two passes? 2 WTG? or 1 WTG, 1 XTG?
I'm getting a slant soon (hopefully, ordered it on the 11th from Lee's Razors and the order is still pending) and want to make sure I don't cut myself so terribly the first time I use it..

Not to derail the topic but ... I have an order with Lee myself from 8/8 and haven't received anything. I also sent him an email a few days ago with no response. Any idea what's going on?

I'm getting a slant soon (hopefully, ordered it on the 11th from Lee's Razors and the order is still pending) and want to make sure I don't cut myself so terribly the first time I use it..

Not to derail the topic but ... I have an order with Lee myself from 8/8 and haven't received anything. I also sent him an email a few days ago with no response. Any idea what's going on?

Lee just posted that he's been experiencing site difficulties, suggesting that folks call him with orders. You both may do well to call and see what's going on. (But trust me, the slant is worth the wait!)

Lee just posted that he's been experiencing site difficulties, suggesting that folks call him with orders. You both may do well to call and see what's going on. (But trust me, the slant is worth the wait!)

I would, but I live in a completely different country, so the cost of my call would equal an insane amount... Oh well.. Thank you for the answer.
Sorry about derailing this thread..

I'm not sure that's the issue. My order is listed in my 'order placed' area, the payment for the order was debited from my bank account, and I sent him an email with no response. Where did he post?

Top Bottom