What's new

How to use a scuttle to get hot lather

Help with lukewarm lather please?
I have a modern shave scuttle, much like the one in this photo. I'm using hot water from my sink and I let it sit to heat the scuttle while I shower, and then refill with fresh hot water. My lather made in the bowl is always room temperature however. Is this what is actually to be expected or can the lather actually be made hot? Tips would be appreciated!

il_794xN.1857880330_t1gz.jpg

When I used creams I would put a dollop of cream in the bottom of the scuttle and then lather away.

With soaps I load on the puck and then take the loaded brush to the scuttle.

You can scrape a bit of soap off the puck and mash it into the bottom of the scuttle (thumb mashing thins out the soap and makes for faster loading), but I use the scuttle to soak my boar brushes. If you mash too much soap in the scuttle the left over soap pretty much soaks away the next day with the soaking brush.

I can't imagine why you'd need a second bowl.
+1

Help with lukewarm lather please?
I have a modern shave scuttle, much like the one in this photo. I'm using hot water from my sink and I let it sit to heat the scuttle while I shower, and then refill with fresh hot water. My lather made in the bowl is always room temperature however. Is this what is actually to be expected or can the lather actually be made hot? Tips would be appreciated!

View attachment 1241598
Hot water won't do it, you need to pour the boiling water from the kettle. Works great.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have one of these:
2D04F698-E3B7-4A4C-8C15-0911A9480F90.jpeg

Dirty bird scuttles and its great... sorta? wish I had gotten the 1.5, but its not a big deal. Also wish/asked Julie (db potterer) if the water spout could be enlarged a little so I could soak/dip my brush in there, but she said no, as the extra peice would be too brittle etc which I respect her professional opinion. But functionally it is wonderful, the webbing inside the bowl easily whips up lather and the "no creep" rim is as advertised.

I found this works for me, pour about two teaspoons of hot water onto my soap, and let is sit (from the hot water carafe) then get a kettle started with a thermometer. Let the scuttle be stone cold (just as is, I don't mean put in fridge) and when the kettle water hits 55 celsius, take it off the heat, and pour it into the scuttle. The cold of the scuttle will bring it down to around 50 celsius (I checked with the thermometer). Go upstairs, pour some of the soap slurry into the webbing, then start loading brush straight from the puck. once loaded, then continue with later making in the scuttle. Add more water as needed. I find 50 celsius has given me good results, but tbh I havn't tried at higher temperatures/how high I could push it, this was just from searching the forums here and googling around and sorta averaging out the numbers.

But honestly? There is no wrong or right way, I found this works for me and my setup/routine. Oh and I really like your Tanaka scuttle!

I warm my scuttle in the sink full of hot water from the tap while I shower, to preheat it once showed then I empty sink let the hot tap run as mine gets very hot. Then empty the water out of the scuttle then refill with hot water, then build the lather in the scuttle that way it stays hot. But I do soak the brush at the same time as preheating

And these are the best scuttle you can get a Karl Langner scuttle...

20191031_140742 (2).jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I have an old Becker scuttle that I'd fill with water, the put in the microwave for a minute. Worked well for me, though I cannot find where I stowed the scuttle these days. Maybe next winter.

If you happen to have one of those water coolers that does both hot and cold water use the hot water from it if you want hot lather. The water gets hotter than a normal tap but not boiling since I believe we all know boiling water will destroy your lather.

Top Bottom