What's new

How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop

I don’t use the Method as described above but directly inspired by it I’m getting the most fantastic edges of my life!

My normal progression is 1k/3k synthetic -> Coticule -> Thuringian then finish by stropping on 0.25u diamond followed by 0.1u CBN on balsa prepared as outlined in this thread.

So that’s way off the Method but the idea of finishing on pasted balsa as described in the OP has been a total game changer and brought all my straights up to a superb standard.
Thanks again!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I don’t use the Method as described above but directly inspired by it I’m getting the most fantastic edges of my life!

My normal progression is 1k/3k synthetic -> Coticule -> Thuringian then finish by stropping on 0.25u diamond followed by 0.1u CBN on balsa prepared as outlined in this thread.

So that’s way off the Method but the idea of finishing on pasted balsa as described in the OP has been a total game changer and brought all my straights up to a superb standard.
Thanks again!

Right. The ultimate goal is not merely to be a faithful Methodeer. The goal is to get a great edge and enjoy the dual processes of creating it and using it. The Method is just a fast track on-ramp to the honing highway.

I couldn’t agree more, Slash.

Like any obsessed enthuasiast, I have many hones and many edges going at one time. Some off of Slash’s method, some off different natural stones and some off of a synthetic finisher.

But when I encounter an edge previously finished on a natural stone that is in need of a tough up I often find myself reaching for a .1 balsa. Especially if I don’t have the time or inclination to settle in with a slurry stone and the longer natural stone process.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
BALSA STROP: THE MOVIE
Sorry about the anti metric rant. That's why I usually don't do talkies. Got interrupted by a phone call, too.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
BALSA STROP: THE MOVIE
Sorry about the anti metric rant. That's why I usually don't do talkies. Got interrupted by a phone call, too.
Slash you are a damn movie star now. This was even better than shaving with a razor blade between two popsicle sticks - especially the metric rant. There is a measurement you left out - shoe size. The difference between shoe sizes is one barleycorn. Go figure. I’m going to try the vertical stropping tomorrow. By the way, I got a minor in Math 101 in college. Thanks for the flick.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Movie star in overalls! I love it!

Funny and educational. Better than any classroom.

Overalls-If you've not worn them you're missng out (meme).jpg

The riff on metrics and such puts the hurt to every non-scientist using the stupid metric system. I'm a scientist and know why we have it, and all that, but throwing the baby out with the scientific bath water is stupid. Thanks for including it.

Hey, Slash, here's a suggestion: Don't wave the open SR around while you're talking. I was waiting for you to slash your ear. I'm glad I waited in vain.

Great work. Thanks so much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hey, Slash, here's a suggestion: Don't wave the open SR around while you're talking. I was waiting for you to slash your ear. I'm glad I waited in vain.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Punctuation and emphasis. As well as suspense.

Seriously, I have gotten the wild waving of sharp or white hot or high voltage or toxic or venemous objects down to a routine, practiced, and harmless activity.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I probably should have used HHT for a couple of months to let my forearm hair grow a bit before making that video. Treetopping at 1/4" can be tough (and unimpressive) when all of your forearm hair is recently de-tipped and only grown out to 17/64" long.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Punctuation and emphasis. As well as suspense.

Seriously, I have gotten the wild waving of sharp or white hot or high voltage or toxic or venemous objects down to a routine, practiced, and harmless activity.

upload_2018-10-9_12-14-20.png

Somebody told me much the same thing while they slung a shark around on the beach by its tail.

I won't tell you the end of the story, but it did not end well for them.

Of course, alcohol may have been involved!

On a serious note i have a question.jpg

Or two...

Speaking of acrylics...

You alluded to this but didn't say it, and I'm too lazy to read all the threads again, and I'm fixing to buy acrylic. So...
  • Where do you buy it?
  • What sizes of acrylic do you buy for lapping film and sandpaper use? I assume 3/4 inch thick, but that might be wrong, etc? What's ideal?
Here's a link to one eBay vendor you cuts to order, has the 3/4 inch thick size, and will sell you what you want and nothing else. I'm not set up to cut the acrylic precisely. Not saying he's a good vendor, just an option.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
View attachment 918580

Somebody told me much the same thing while they slung a shark around on the beach by its tail.

I won't tell you the end of the story, but it did not end well for them.

Of course, alcohol may have been involved!

View attachment 918584

Or two...

Speaking of acrylics...

You alluded to this but didn't say it, and I'm too lazy to read all the threads again, and I'm fixing to buy acrylic. So...
  • Where do you buy it?
  • What sizes of acrylic do you buy for lapping film and sandpaper use? I assume 3/4 inch thick, but that might be wrong, etc? What's ideal?
Here's a link to one eBay vendor you cuts to order, has the 3/4 inch thick size, and will sell you what you want and nothing else. I'm not set up to cut the acrylic precisely. Not saying he's a good vendor, just an option.

Happy shaves,

Jim

For all honing and stropping tasks, 3/4" thick, 3" x 12" works fine. It doesnt have to be precisely cut. For film honing, edges should be lightly chamfered with sandpaper or a file. www.tapplastics.com is who I use. I also get 1/8" thick colored acrylic from them for making razor scales.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Movie star in overalls! I love it!

Funny and educational. Better than any classroom.

View attachment 918571

The riff on metrics and such puts the hurt to every non-scientist using the stupid metric system. I'm a scientist and know why we have it, and all that, but throwing the baby out with the scientific bath water is stupid. Thanks for including it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I would suggest you do as I do and keep a box of bandaids on my desk where I hone.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
For all honing and stropping tasks, 3/4" thick, 3" x 12" works fine. It doesnt have to be precisely cut. For film honing, edges should be lightly chamfered with sandpaper or a file. www.tapplastics.com is who I use. I also get 1/8" thick colored acrylic from them for making razor scales.

upload_2018-10-9_13-53-2.png

For film lapping and sandpaper, which do you suggest, cast acrylic or extruded acrylic? They have both, but they don't comment on the flatness of either as far as I can tell.

For balsa, does it matter? I would think not.

Sorry to be so ignorant, Slash.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I would suggest you do as I do and keep a box of bandaids on my desk where I hone.

Okay. I will do that. I will keep a box of bandaids on your desk where you hone. Not sure I understand why, though.
View attachment 918594

For film lapping and sandpaper, which do you suggest, cast acrylic or extruded acrylic? They have both, but they don't comment on the flatness of either as far as I can tell.

For balsa, does it matter? I would think not.

Sorry to be so ignorant, Slash.

Happy shaves,

Jim

For balsa it certainly doesn't matter, since you lap the balsa after glueing it to the plate. For film, I am not sure there is enough difference to worry about. I think I am using cast, and it is actual Plexiglass (tm) brand stuff but I won't swear to it. Okay It is definitely cast. TAP doesn't have extruded over 1/4" thick. I know this works and seems to work better than the polished marble tile I was using, and it is lighter and thicker, too.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Okay. I will do that. I will keep a box of bandaids on your desk where you hone. Not sure I understand why, though.

For balsa it certainly doesn't matter, since you lap the balsa after glueing it to the plate. For film, I am not sure there is enough difference to worry about. I think I am using cast, and it is actual Plexiglass (tm) brand stuff but I won't swear to it. Okay It is definitely cast. TAP doesn't have extruded over 1/4" thick. I know this works and seems to work better than the polished marble tile I was using, and it is lighter and thicker, too.
Ok, I wrote that stupidly. My mind was still overwhelmed. BTW I just tried that vertical honing and it actually made difference. I’m wearing my overalls next time too.

Top Bottom