What's new

How to untangle a horse brush?

Hi all,
the patient in question is a barber style white hair horse brush from Vie-Long. And it is tangled in the middle of the knot. (Is there such a word like untangle? I'm not a native English speaker. I searched for it. Untangle, disentangle, unsnarl. You get the point.)

I have read many things today on B&B forums about how to prevent tangling. Ideas covered basicaly everything. Use painting movements instead of circular ones. Or don't use a horse brush. OK, fair enough, these might prevent tangling.
But my brush is already tangled. I tried to use a comb, both when dry or wet, but I can't in fact push the comb deep enough to reach the inside, or even if I can, I can't move it. Maybe if I reach one single hair. But that does not help.

Before I get to the point not to use my horse hair brush, does anyone have some experience how to successfully untangle? (Or unhorse for that matter.)

cheers
Andras

I've had no experience horsing around with a horsehair brush, but conditioner works to help unsnarl human hair. Have you tried it with your brush?

As far as English not being your native language, until you told us, the only tip-off was your lack of misspelled words.

It sounds as if you left it for far too long, you should generally comb it out after each shave or at least every week. Try cleaning the brush with some vinegar and water and gently keep on combing it out. I don't think there are any other options.

I have a patience of a ... horse.
Thanks all for the advices, I try to have it disentangled. (<--- I learned a new word, already feeling better.)

The way I untangle my horses tail is washing, then product, then lots of brushing. Not sure if the same applies for a horse hair brush though.

I finally made a picture, this is how the wet brush looks like. It's not just it is tangled, but when wet, it behaves as if the middle would totally disappear. I like how brushing with this horse brush feels, I like the looks, which is certainly a very important part of this hobby for me, but I suspect that this is not that great brush. :)
Does this shape tell anything about the brush, or what should be done with it?

20170427_074359.jpg

That appears to have been worked pretty hard, i have a Vie-Long horse and it looks the same as the very first time using it, it's a different brush model than what you have, I never really grind any brush into my soaps to cause splaying.

IMG_1908.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1964.JPG

OK, now I envy you because of that Captain's Choice sandalwood set, and due to export regulations, I can't even order them to Europe.

This is how the brush looks when it's dry. So that hole in the middle, and the way how it got tangled is mostly visible when wet. And actually all my other brushes tolerate well how I use them, no matter if it is circular motions or painting, pushing hard on the soap on my face or not, so maybe the horse is not for me. It's a pity as I love this handle, this is my best looking brush otherwise.
20170428_074032.jpg 20170428_074039.jpg

Last edited:
The two main disadvantages of (Vie-Long) horse hair brushes that I found:
(1) Hair loss
(2) Tangled hair

To reduce the smell, I had washed the first two brushes intensively with shampoo after they had arrived.

One took it well, the other one developed after a few shaves the tangled hair problem that you mentioned. I tried to solve it by combing the brush after use, but ultimately the brush did not meet my expectations and I had to toss it and replace it with a third Viel-Long horse hair brush.

The other two brushes worked well for a while, but then started shedding hairs and never stopped.
This appears to be a known problem and when the third one also started shedding hairs, I concluded that (Vie-Long) horse hair brushes were not for me.

I have several other brushes that neither shed hairs nor where the hairs get entangled, and see no reason to continue with a type of brush that is clearly inferior to my other brushes.

I was curious how horse hair brushes work and enjoyed their feel for a while, but ultimately there are much better brushes out there.
Vie-Long seems to have cornered the market for horse-hair brushes and as there seem to be few alternatives for this type of brush, I cannot state whether this is a unique Vie-Long problem or a general problem associated with horse-hair brushes.

B.

Sam experience here Brutus. I had to soak it in shampooed water for 3 days to lose that strong horse smell. I still had the urge after the first use to run with the stud on the beach, letting steam out of my nose.
I fell in love with this handle, not the horse hair itself. I have two boars on the way, a Semogue 620 and an Omega 11126, I guess I will put this stallion aside. :(

Last edited:
I think the easiest way to untangle is to put it in the trash can. I have never understood why people like a brush that can tangle up as one of its qualities.

If tangling was its only quality I would've already thrown it away. But I love that handle, and basically that was the only barber style long handle brush I found. I will yet have to check of vie-long has a synthetic or a badger in the same style to let it go easier. Any recommendation for a similar handled quality brush?

If tangling was its only quality I would've already thrown it away. But I love that handle, and basically that was the only barber style long handle brush I found. I will yet have to check of vie-long has a synthetic or a badger in the same style to let it go easier. Any recommendation for a similar handled quality brush?

Why not keep the handle and put a new knot in it? Although I've never done it myself, many others here have and could advise you on the project.

It's a pity as I love this handle

The Omega 10098 boar has a similar handle.

I am in the opposite situation; I have the Vie-Long 12601 horse and love love love the knot but hate the handle. There are definitely more horses in my future. I tend to splay very lightly and haven't had a problem with either tangling or shedding.

Vie-Long seems to have cornered the market for horse-hair brushes and as there seem to be few alternatives for this type of brush, I cannot state whether this is a unique Vie-Long problem or a general problem associated with horse-hair brushes.

giftsandcare.com has a horsehair brush section; there's another brand (Epsilon) that has horsehair brushes. I haven't tried either the Epsilon brushes or giftsandcare, however.

These brushes are also available in badger.
Here you go: The Biggest Variety of Barber Brushes - Gifts&Care

Epsilon brushes are made specifically for this company by Vie-Long.

I have been ordering from this source in Spain before and found them fast, reliable and fairly inexpensive (as they will also ship to my address free of VAT).

Hope this helps...

B.

I soaked my vie-longs like I did my boars, while I showered, and had problems until I read a post here on B&B about not soaking the horse hair brush. Now I wet it, shake it out, and lather up, like I do my synthetics. Haven't had a problem with tangling.

the Vie-Long 13061M I posted with the sandalwood set has never shed one hair and never smelled from day one, maybe lucky but it's a great brush.

Top Bottom