What's new

How to turn a chore into a hobby.

Luckily i've never been prone to AD's so i think i'm pretty well done buying stuff now that i have a full shaving kit.

Quoted for posterity. ;)

Thanks for an enjoyable read and as another gent said, this is how many of our stories go. For my part, though, shaving was never a joy. Ever. I suffered irritation and ingrown hairs. I tried countless types of canned good. I shaved in the shower, or immediately after. I finally settled on Mach 3 carts and a combination of Gillette Sensitive Skin mixed with Gillette Edge Sensitive Gel. Still...no bueno.

Then my girlfriend (now The Wife, AKA SWMBO) mentioned that I should try shaving with a brush and soap. By the time she got me some goods for Christmas, I had already acquired two vintage Gillettes from a local antique store for the princely sum of $10 (for the pair!) and fallen in love with this style of shaving.

I now enjoy a few different razors, a couple of go-to blades, a few brushes and a plethora of soaps and aftershaves. Every morning is an adventure, trying to get my best shave and enjoying the experience far more than in days past. Welcome!

I went from a DE when I started shaving back around 1973 at age 15, to injectors to cartridges - for way to many years (over 30), but never succumbed to anything more than a 2 blade. (Sensor Excel and/or Shick Tracer) Initially it was Barbasol I think, then for years Edge gel. Even for a few months after coming back to DE in March 2014. Got my first brush and soap that September and haven't looked back. My razor coming back was a MicroTouchOne. Haven't used it since I picked up three vintage Gillette's the summer of 2016. (Black Handle Super Speed, Flare Tip Super Speed and Slim adjustable) I rotate between them weekly as a general rule. For a long time I was a single pass shaver. Now I never go more than two. On the couple of occasions that I have gone three, I got irritation. I look forward to shaving now. Even when I know I won't be going out in public and don't have to, I shave anyway. I think I have missed only two or three days since December 1st. And they were all in December or January.

I honestly quit shaving my face years ago as I always hated unavoidable razor burn on my chin area and feel fat faced whether that be true or not. Well, I have abnormally thick and hot hair that is virtually untamable, so I've been head shaving for pretty close to 2 decades. Realized early on using an actual razor and "Bic-ing" was cleaner and more efficient than clippers. About 3-4 years ago I started using Shave Secret and Cremo with a cart in the shower. My grandfather passed away about 3 years ago and had a 1969 Knack in his dresser box and I was intrigued to no end. I asked my Pops about it and he told me that HE had been using an EJ DE89 and Feathers for a while but was sick of cutting himself, so he gave me his EJ and surplus of blades along with some really cheap boar brushes and Classic Shaving Lime and Coconut soap. I started with a VDH razor and blade, threw a Feather in shortly after, starting RAD of vintage Gilettes and use the Knack on Grandpa's days and Pops' EJ the same way. I WILL convert him back soon with less sharp blades and his birth year (1953) Super Speed I have set aside for him. Maybe some Tabac and a Plissoft synthetic for the ultimate in easy smooth shaving!

Glad to hear you are enjoying shaving. It’s a great forum with lots of knowledge no doubt. I’ve also learned great tips here. Anyway thanks for posting. Cheers.

Great post. I had moved from carts to electrics about 15 years ago and finally made the move to de shaving about 6-7 months ago and like it much better. Takes me about 12 mins and working on making it shorter.

G

GroomedWoodchuck

Very nice post! I started with an electric when my parent's gave me one at 14. I was always drawn to the brush/old school manner of shaving though. Shaved with carts for 10+ years before actually making the full switch.

I started shaving in the evenings and making it a after work ME time.
I shower and shave with some classic Rock and the phone turned off.

Top Bottom