What's new

How to turn a chore into a hobby.

About three months ago i stood in front of the mirror, shaving cream on my face, and lamented out loud to my girlfriend "i'm so tired of shaving." At that moment, down to the final shave of my last fusion cartridge, i came to the conclusion that what i had once enjoyed had become merely another chore in my day.

Since i started shaving at 15 years old, i'd always enjoyed it. My father had never really taught me how to shave, but the act had always been tied up in my mind with becoming a man. And like any manly task, it seemed worth learning how to do right.

Over years of trial and error, i slowly learned how to give myself a good shave and enjoyed the process the whole way. I tried tons of different disposables and cartridges, figuring out which ones worked best. I also tried all manner of "canned goo" and in college, and finally settled on the right blade and shaving cream combo. A gillette fusion and barbasol aloe became my day to day combo, and for almost 12 years i enjoyed smooth, irritation free shaves twice a week.

I unknowingly picked up things like face mapping and blade buffing (which i didn't know were "things" until i started reading these forums) and generally enjoyed my shaves for over a decade. But somewhere in the last year or so, what i once enjoyed had become rote.

I no longer looked at my time in front of the mirror, razor in hand, as something to be enjoyed. It had become a chore akin to packing a dishwasher or taking out the trash. Just one more impediment between me and doing something i enjoyed.

Part of it was due to the fact that after years of trying, i was still never able to get a true 100% clean (later on this forum i learned the term BBS) shave. It was always about 95%. More than sufficient but never what i thought it could be.

It may have been the plastic surround or the moisturizing strip, but no matter how hard i tried, a true BBS shave never came. The day after i expressed my newfound hatred of shaving to my girlfriend, i found myself in my local Stop and Shop, staring at an 8 pack of gillette fusion cartridges. $35.99. I'd paid it many times before but this time i found myself disgusted at the thought of paying nearly $40 for something i had grown to hate.

As i stood there, i glanced over to my right and saw a smartly packaged vanderhagen razor and 5 blades. $24.99. In retrospect a price gouge, but at the time it seemed a deal too good to pass up. A beautiful looking razor and 5 blades for $11 less than the carts?! I picked it up and happily went home to shave.

After loading up the blade and slapping on some barbasol, i used the same routine i'd practiced for years; 1 pass on the face and 2 on the neck. After i was done, i had become hooked. The skill involved in properly shaving with a DE blade was clearly much higher than with a cart; but i managed not to cut myself of cause any irritation at all. The real revelation was that with a simple change of angle, i could get as close a shave as i dared. A true BBS suddenly seemed possible.

A few internet purchases later, i had a badger brush, shaving soap, a shaving mug and a stand to display all of my cool new s**t. A little later i encorporated some witch hazel and aftershave and i'm now enjoying shaving more than i ever have.

After 3 months of DE shaving i've had some of the best and worst shaves of my life. Each blade and each shave is different from the last, and the enjoyment and variety makes me look forward to something i'd written off as a mere chore.

As my technique has improved (in both shaving and creating lather), i finally feel confident enough to start posting some blade reviews. But i wanted to first write out my story and send a thank you to all the members who (inadvertently) helped me begin my journey into DE shaving.

Reading the posts here has been extremely informative and has only made me more enthusiastic about my newfound "hobby". So cheers to all of you and happy shaving!

Wow, this perfectly described what I felt prior to picking up a DE razor! I have to say it one of the smoothest shaves I got in my 10 years of shaving. Although, unlike what you mentioned, I am still trying to find the right blades...

You enjoyed shaving with cartridges and canned foam much longer than I did. It seemed like a chore to me from the beginning (other than when I first started shaving as a kid). After college I switched to an electric and then finished with a cartridge. :)

I did that until 8 years ago or whenever I started with DE's and straights. Otherwise, my story is similar to yours and I suspect it's similar to everyone on here's story.

Nice post!

Great post. Thanks for sharing your story and glad you found us here at B&B. Welcome aboard. Of course the "about face" (no pun intended) attitude about shaving will have your girlfriend thinking you've gone crazy especially once the acquisition disorders start taking hold.

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I'm headed in the same direction as well, got my first DE and first wet shave yesterday and am certainly headed farther down the rabbit hole as well.

So many of us can relate. It’s a journey. I love the line that since the switch you’ve had some of the best and worst shaves. So true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever play golf? Some days you score below par, other days you are in the rough or the sand trap.

The perfect shave is uncommon, and even if you achieve it, in a few hours the whiskers regrow.

The truly important thing is to enjoy the shave. If you can find joy in the process of reducing your beard, that's a great shave!

Thanks for the replies! Macfrommichigan the golf analogy is pretty spot on. I played on my high school team and was pretty obsessed with it for a number of years. Definitely has it's extremes. And the AD's for some in golf can be some of the worst of any sport so i see a lot of similarity there too hahaha. Luckily i've never been prone to AD's so i think i'm pretty well done buying stuff now that i have a full shaving kit. Unfortunately since i bought my razor on a whim i'm "stuck" with it and a puck of henry cavendish shop that smells fantastic but doesn't produce the best lather. Luckily i found tryablade before i was done with the 5 blades my razor came with and order 30 different blades (2 of each so 60 total) to try out. The variety in performance of different blades is what unbelievable. I'm looking forward to posting some reviews shortly. I bought all the "staples" like feather, astra sp and lab blues, but also some i've not yet seen reviewed here or elsewhere. I'm hoping to post up one a month (it takes me about 3 weeks to run through 2 blades) so hopefully i can start contributing to the forum shortly despite my admittedly novice skills.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I was lucky, and discovered DE razors while still in my teens. I did veer off into cartridges occasionally, but always went "home" to DE. It can indeed be a hobby, in many different ways. I'm not a collector, but have some ye olde stuff to restore. In time, I will make new scales for my one straight razor and rehone it, restore the mechanisms, hones and strops in a Rolls Razor and similar Darwin, make a new strop and rehone the blades on a Wilkinson Sword Empire, and make a new handle for the birth year razor that I ordered this morning. The hobby is whatever you want it to be. It can be collecting, and trying different products, or it can be restoration, or simply learning new skills.

Whatever path you choose, I hope it's a long and happy journey that proves to be rewarding and fulfilling. Welcome aboard.

Ever play golf? Some days you score below par, other days you are in the rough or the sand trap.

The perfect shave is uncommon, and even if you achieve it, in a few hours the whiskers regrow.

The truly important thing is to enjoy the shave. If you can find joy in the process of reducing your beard, that's a great shave!
And just to add don't chase the baby it will come to you when it's ready. Your face will thank you.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Excellent post! As stated, many here share a similar story. It was the summer of '15 for me. I tried the mail order stuff/clubs, and found online some info regarding traditional DE shaving. That led me here and soon I was spending more than ever! I found what I like and am now working enjoying the "chore" without buying more stuff.

Welcome and again, great story!

It's pretty remarkable how just a few changes to a mundane task has made it so much more enjoyable. I can't think of another instance where i went from really disliking something to actually looking forward to it.

I used to shave only twice a week, but i've added an extra day because i'm enjoying it that much. I'm even trying to get my dad and brothers to switch to DE hahaha.

Right on! Two words made it all worthwhile. Enjoying it! If not for here, I would have thought that DE blades were only to be found behind old medicine cabinets. Not to mention the soaps and the razors and so on and so on. When I finally had the right tools in hand, bore chore went to more more and a nice start to enjoy a day. I always shave everyday. Became cart brainwashed in college then went bust like many of us with cart payments. Dug out my old razor from a box of stuff and have not looked back. I look forward to my face getting 22 minutes so I can deal with the world. Years prior it was rake and run. No enjoyment. Now, it is. Fantastic posts here gents. Spot on!

Last edited:
Got Dad converted with a 34C and a handful of blades. He loves it. Not a bank breaker I told him. Nostalgia aside, he said DE shaves the best. He enjoys using the razor. He said shaving with the others is not like shaving with a DE. Even my girls like it. Razor does not get gunked because it can be rinsed. They enjoy it now. Along with my Proraso red

Great post! I’m 54 and have been DE/SE/Injector shaving for about three years. I started with carts, single blade / twin blade cheapies, the cheaper the better and just used water or bar soap. The lubricating strip was a big advance to me! I then used a couple of electrics. You were thoughtful in your cart days and tried to get a good shave. I didn’t even think about what I was doing.

My transition to DEs was abrupt. I had gradually taken a general interest in taking better care of myself, but reached the tipping point when I was in a mall one day and saw an AOS store and walked in. I saw everything and immediately thought: this is the adult, manly, mature way to shave. I bought a starter set-up (at over $200!): Merkur 34C, Merkur blades, Sandalwood pre-shave, shaving cream and post shave balm(?). I was hooked and plunged in, finding B&B soon after and soon thereafter moved on to the R41 and then a Mergress and etc., etc. and ETCETERA!

It's interesting to see all the different ways people got into DE shaving. The one (almost) constant is that noone goes back to cart or electric shaving. To me it's like driving a manual transmission. There are very few that learn and don't prefer it; even if it is antiquated and at times can make things more complicated.

Received a classy looking razor (Muhle R89) as part of a gift order and decided to explore how to use it.

Never went back to carts.

Top Bottom