What's new

How to travel w safety razor

I know that we can’t travel on planes w safety razors unless the blades are packed in luggage that is checked. But what if you don’t check luggage? What do people do? Take their razor and hope they can buy some good blades at their destination and then throw the rest of the blades out when traveling back home? What are you folks doing who travel? Thanks!

I know some people mail them where they’re going. I just take a Gillette Trac 2 handle and carts when I carry on, no hassle and blades can be found easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I absolutely have to fly, I'll bring along a cartridge razor. However, DE safety razor blades are pretty plentiful in the US. That's usually a Walmart or drug store within an easy drive.

You might ask here if anyone knows of where to get blades where you are travelling to. Mailing blades is also an option. Letting it grow is always an option.

I can check a bag free, so I check a bag. A little annoying for short trips having to wait at the carousel.

I have traveled a lot with a carry on DE. Most of the time, I would buy blades at my destination. Mostly VDH and yes threw them out before heading back. One time I mailed them back. They are not my preferred blade, so they are still not used.
Even though it's not against TSA to carry on a DE razor without the blade, I did have a problem. As I was going threw TSA the scanner showed a DE razor in my carry on. The agent couldn't tell if the blade was in it or not. So there we go off to the side for the search. They dragged all my stuff out until they found it. The agent searching didn't know how to work a TTO. That was until I told him. He was nervous about it. After that, I started taking a three-piece. I would take the razor apart. Put the handle in my Dopp bag. The other two pieces went in my pocket. That way, when I emptied my pockets into the bowl, my razor was easily seen. I never had a problem with that.
In this case, it is probably cheaper to take a cart. At that time, I was all gung ho over only DE.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
When I travel for business only I usually have to sleep alone, get up far too early, shave before coffee, and depend on a "continental breakfast" that always makes me wonder what continent it came from. Not one I've ever visited!

I generally pack an electric weedwhacker and just buzz off every morning. I can do it with my eyes closed and in my jump bag an electric takes up less space than razor, bowl, brush, soap, and aftershave. Could just face-lather, I guess, but I do like playing with the toys.

If I'm taking some time for pleasure as well often I can find a nearby diner with a sassy waitress and good coffee so I can linger over breakfast until my eyeballs are tracking. Long story... Once I've got visuals I can meander back up to my room where a leisurely shave awaits. Since there are approximately as many Shopper's Drug Marts in Canada as there are Col. Sanders in Beijing (every street corner), I'm never far from a tuck of decent blades no matter where I go.

O.H.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You're not wrong about KFC's in Beijing! Big contrast with Mactan Island where I live. 500k people and not a KFC to be found (but 4 McD's). We must be healthier on Mactan

My travels tend to be CONUS and try to avoid checking bags which means no brining blades and having to hope to finds some where I'm going. Generally most commercial chain 'drug stores' have DE and often GEM blades (often private label Personna's), but I've encountered others. I also have a cart as a fallback in case I cannot find blades. My travel non-carts: a mid aggressive DE (RR GC .84 often) handle varies, and/or Irving Barber Co Shavette (can do snapped/half DE's, injector and A/C blades and a small Ever Ready 1914 travel kit. I put all the razors (except the cart) in a pouch in my garment bag or top of my carry-on as inevitable it gets flagged for inspection and I want to get to them quickly to avoid having to spend time unpacking/repacking, further delay. Also have a travel tube for brush and find boar dries faster than badger, I don't care for synthetic knots.

I usually take the razor apart, wrap the head in a napkin and place it into an empty medicine bottle. The handle fits in the bottle as well and it's tight enough with the cap on the bottle to keep it from moving around much. I'd love to buy a nice leather case but this way it doesn't look like a razor and my bag doesn't get checked.

With the blades I have accidentally left them in my travel bag on more than one occasion but I don't do it on purpose. The usually go into the checked bag. If I'm not checking a bag then I mail some blades ahead or pick some up when I get there. Most hotels will put a letter aside for you if you mail it to yourself. You can buy blades at most pharmacies, many dollar stores and Art of Shaving stores.

... and depend on a "continental breakfast" that always makes me wonder what continent it came from. Not one I've ever visited!

Off topic: as told by my Dad - the English refer to that area across the channel as "The Continent". And since the closer place there is France, it refers to the kind of breakfast the French (and by extension, Spaniards and Italians) have - a coffee and toasts or croissants or cornetti and a small glass of orange juice. Or, as an American student told me, a coffee and a cigarette.

On topic: I take a break of my razors, so I buy a disposable razor and a can of shaving foam, before or after arriving at destination. Less of a hassle.

The few times I have flown since 2001 I just packed a Bic or more recently a Gillette Guard.
The Guard is a very good cartridge razor, the handle is somewhat crappy but it gives a good efficient shave.

Although I've never had to do it yet, my plan is to bring my DE in my carry on and hope wherever I'm going has a Target, Walmart, or Bed Bath and Beyond, which all sell Wilkinson Sword blades. This is not the perfect blade, though acceptable, so that's the plan.

When I drive, (my preferred method of travel) I take my Norelco "triple-head" rechargeable and a DE razor. I like getting up early in Tijuana and getting a close shave before going to the "continental breakfast" at the Hotel Aqua Rio.

I carry everything in my rolling luggage. I affectionately call this my 'Jag Bag" because it fits nicely in the trunk of either my 2005 Jaguar S-Type or my 1997 Jaguar XJ6 L.

I take the (3-piece) razor apart and put it in the quart bag with the toothpaste etc. it doesn’t look like a razor so it doesn’t draw attention. I only take a razor I can afford to lose (Timeless Aluminum, scratch and dent). I check the blades, but am prepared to make do with the local drugstore choices. So far so good.

When we fly, it's usually to visit relatives, so I mail a couple of blades in an envelope.
You could do the same thing when traveling by addressing it to yourself, in care of whatever hotel/motel you'd be staying at. Or addressing it 'general delivery' to the local post office.

I will try to keep this short...
I don't fly but once every 6 or 8 years. I will be doing it a lot more now with the age my father is getting. But, Two months ago I flew to CA from CO. I was running a little late as I didn't know how busy the airport was. I got in this huge line as that's where everyone was running so I followed. About 45 minutes later I realized this was the line for TSA. I hadn't checked my bag yet. OOPS! My Bag was a little larger for a carry-on. At the security checkpoint, I tossed my bag on the belt to go thru the xray machine. When it came out it was set aside. I had a DE, Blades, and two Straights in there.

When the guy opened it and got to looking at the pictures of the Xrays he saw containers of spices that were in a sealed box. He wiped the pad on the box to check for explosives and then let me go. When I got to my gate I went up to the girl to tell her my bag was too big and I forgot to check it when she said on the loudspeaker that they were wanting people to check bags as they were full and didn't have extra room. I handed her mine and all was cool.

The only bad thing about this story is I had paid the extra 30 bucks for checking my bag online ahead of time. So I made it through Denver Internation Airport with Straight Razors and DE Blades. I won't be trying this on purpose as I think my luck just ran out.

Top Bottom