What's new

How To Tell The Difference Between Cotton and Flax Line Fire Hose

I have a friend who has an old fire hose which appears to be in pretty good condition. It is stamped as "Linen EX", so I know that it is linen, but how do you tell the difference between cotton/canvas linen and flax linen? I don't want to go through the bother of making a cotton linen strop because I have a Kanayama branded one that fits that ticket that came with my 80000. It is very good, but I just gotta have a flax linen strop to round out the stable, so to speak. Any help in identifying flax vs cotton would be appreciated.

The hose I was able to source has Linen EX and 1964 stamped on it, it is very stiff and has a rough texture. The hose will be un-lined, mine has (down the center) on the stamped side an orange - red line bracketed by blue lines woven in.
When you look closely the fibers they have a light golden color and they have a sheen, quite different from the matt cream white color of cotton. This is what raw unwoven flax looks like, light golden w/a slight sheen.
It's quite a tedious process to properly clean dry and work in this material to get a good strop out of, some think it's worth it though.

Thanks, FrankC. I have seen un-dyed linen fabric and it is as you state, however with these old hoses, with the layers of grime that is on them, it's just tough to tell. I was hoping that there is some other way to tell other than color.

Top Bottom