What's new

How to tell Gillette Wilkinson swords apart (Indian and Chinese)

I recently got a shipment of sample blades. And I ordered two blades each of the Gillette Wilkinson sword from India and China.

Looking them over the only difference I can find is that one has a 3 in the upper right corner, while the other has a 4 in the lower right corner. The text that reads "stainless" on the blade is bold and smudged on blade 3. While its thin and refined on blade 4.

Saw an old post from 2018 about the Chinese ones having a 3, but figured I'd ask, since the same thread stated that the Indian ones had a 1.

GWS1.jpg
GWS2.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I have.
Right is the Chinese Wilkinson which was made for Indian market and no longer sold in India.

I assume current Chinese Wilkies for other market would be same or similar.

Noticeable difference is that the blade wrapper of Chinese Wilkinson is printed in blue ink and Indian is printed in black ink.

20210609_094422.jpg

20210609_094311.jpg
20210609_094227.jpg

Seems like it is a safe bet that my "3" is the Chinese one. While the "4" is the Indian one. Since the wrappers to each of the blades has similar colors to what you stated.

The numbers also checks out, so thats probably another confirmation. As well as the bold text on the Chinese one on the lower half of the blade. Interesting that yours has an "M" on the upper left. While mine has a "P".

Going to be fun to find out if there is any difference or not between them during use.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Ummm, it says where they are made right there on the tucks (along with the price and packing date (month and year), which are required by India law).

FYI, I have an old tuck of the Chinese version dated 06/13. They are very sharp.

The more relevant question is/was how to tell what version you will get if you order them online. Are they still making them in China?

My understanding is P&G owns the Wilkinson name in India only, hence the Gillette-Wilkinson moniker. Are they selling these blades elsewhere in Asia, outside of India? It sounds like a trademark violation. But perhaps their trademark territory is larger?

The (Chinese) Gillette-Wilkinson blades were available online in China, which was no surprise. They seemed to be NOS surplus production.

The puzzle is that China is entirely capable of producing very sharp blades; after all, they produce enormous quantities of synthetic diamonds. So, why are so many of their domestic blades (not all) so breathtakingly bad?

BTW, the OLD Gillette-Wilkinson blades made in India up to about 10-12 years ago were entirely different. They weren't quite as sharp, but they lasted one or two weeks, easily.

While I haven't done a systematic comparison, my impression is the India blades have been improved in recent years to approximate the quality of the Chinese blades, which for awhile were sharper. I'm not so sure about durability, but I think the India blades may be better in that regard, as well as smoother. Someone else is probably more current on these matters, perhaps in another tread.

Where the G-W blades excelled, in my experience, was with the cheap black plastic handled three-piece razors that were about all you could find in the hinterlands of India years ago. They are cheap: 25 rupees/35 cents a tuck. But I think they used to be cheaper.

They are good, inexpensive blades, as are the Laser Ultras. But I now have better blades in about the same price range.

For Fen, and others, who want to test and compare the G_W India and China blades, why not also try them in a really cheap stick razor, as well as good razors?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fen
Interesting that yours has an "M" on the upper left. While mine has a "P".

Thanks for the help!
Those letters are year codes. The 3 and 4 are quarter codes. Gillette India and Shanghai never stopped putting the date codes on the blades. P-4 is 2020 4th quarter (November on the package), M-3 is 2017 3rd quarter (September on the package).

Here are photos of Chinese Wilkinson blades made in January 2017. So, the codes are M-1.

IMG_20210609_222925---.jpg

IMG_20210609_222945---.jpg

I personally find both blades quite different, and prefer the Chinese production.

Seems like it is a safe bet that my "3" is the Chinese one. While the "4" is the Indian one. Since the wrappers to each of the blades has similar colors to what you stated.

The numbers also checks out, so thats probably another confirmation. As well as the bold text on the Chinese one on the lower half of the blade. Interesting that yours has an "M" on the upper left. While mine has a "P".

Going to be fun to find out if there is any difference or not between them during use.

Thanks for the help!
OK, I'm confused now. Mine have the India box an O and 3 on blade.
16232682856794432964923945485775.jpg

Ummm, it says where they are made right there on the tucks (along with the price and packing date (month and year), which are required by India law).

FYI, I have an old tuck of the Chinese version dated 06/13. They are very sharp.

The more relevant question is/was how to tell what version you will get if you order them online. Are they still making them in China?

My understanding is P&G owns the Wilkinson name in India only, hence the Gillette-Wilkinson moniker. Are they selling these blades elsewhere in Asia, outside of India? It sounds like a trademark violation. But perhaps their trademark territory is larger?

The (Chinese) Gillette-Wilkinson blades were available online in China, which was no surprise. They seemed to be NOS surplus production.

The puzzle is that China is entirely capable of producing very sharp blades; after all, they produce enormous quantities of synthetic diamonds. So, why are so many of their domestic blades (not all) so breathtakingly bad?

BTW, the OLD Gillette-Wilkinson blades made in India up to about 10-12 years ago were entirely different. They weren't quite as sharp, but they lasted one or two weeks, easily.

While I haven't done a systematic comparison, my impression is the India blades have been improved in recent years to approximate the quality of the Chinese blades, which for awhile were sharper. I'm not so sure about durability, but I think the India blades may be better in that regard, as well as smoother. Someone else is probably more current on these matters, perhaps in another tread.

Where the G-W blades excelled, in my experience, was with the cheap black plastic handled three-piece razors that were about all you could find in the hinterlands of India years ago. They are cheap: 25 rupees/35 cents a tuck. But I think they used to be cheaper.

They are good, inexpensive blades, as are the Laser Ultras. But I now have better blades in about the same price range.

For Fen, and others, who want to test and compare the G_W India and China blades, why not also try them in a really cheap stick razor, as well as good razors?

I just ordered 2 of each blade. Which means that the tuck itself didn't come with the shipment from my blade trial shop of choice. Which is why I had to ask which was which. :)

The stick razor thing sounds like an interesting test for sure. But I dont have any need for them at the moment. So it's probably not something I'm going to test for a while. Got a few trial blades to entertain myself with after all. 😁 Plan to test them up against the Wilkinson Sword Classic from Germany among others.

Those letters are year codes. The 3 and 4 are quarter codes. Gillette India and Shanghai never stopped putting the date codes on the blades. P-4 is 2020 4th quarter (November on the package), M-3 is 2017 3rd quarter (September on the package).

Here are photos of Chinese Wilkinson blades made in January 2017. So, the codes are M-1.

View attachment 1279293

View attachment 1279291

I personally find both blades quite different, and prefer the Chinese production.

Ah, I see. So the safest bet is the wrapper itself, when you dont have the tucks.

Last edited:

View attachment 1279293

View attachment 1279291

Makes sense. Guess I was fiddling with camera when you posted

Trademark territory also includes Brazil, where Wilkinson Sword are manufactured and sold:

1623338196402.png

1623338426255.png

Trademark territory also includes Brazil, where Wilkinson Sword are manufactured and sold:

View attachment 1279642

View attachment 1279651
Thank you ever so much! That photo shows P4 (last quarter of 2020). At least we know they still are manufacturing them in Brazil. Doesn't change the fact that they are unobtanium. But... alas you can't have everything. I have accumulated so many different Gillette blades in the last 2 decades I can't complain.

After having tried both for one shave I must say that the chinese one so far is the better blade for me. The indian one felt a bit harsher by comparison. Only a slight difference, but thats my experience so far.

Both are pretty good at getting stuff done I'd say.

Top Bottom