What's new

How to tame an unruly shave den (hopefully)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20220508_130559.jpg

Finally finished my Tweed EDP, the Mrs always commented when I wore it, usually suggesting it had an effect akin to CS gas

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know my own proclivities. Left on my own, I'm sure I'd be adding razors, brushes, shaving bowls, etc. So, I took steps to prevent that. We'll see if I'm successful in 6 months or so. My goal is pretty simple. Just keep the two razors I have; limit myself to 4 soaps as a time, my current number; be satisfied with my current shaving bowl which works very well (though I'm tempted by two other ones); maybe allow myself one additional shaving brush.

If I'm able to keep to that strategy for the next 6 months, I think I will have developed a sustainable pattern. We'll see. Reading sites like this one doesn't help but to avoid it would be depriving myself of years of shaving experience gained by the great group assembled here.
Update: I now have three razors because I added the ESC Claymore Evo polished chrome model. I have a total of 9 soaps and creams... B&B approved <eg>... and I'll soon have 6 brushes.

But on a happy note: I still only have the one small Shaving Bowl. <eg>

Mike M

IMG_20220610_223246.jpg

Finished the Palmolive Classic Cream last night, my 6th kill of the year bringing me down to 22 soaps.... again. Having purchased only 3 soaps this year that puts me 3 soaps down overall, that's better than this time last year, I was about 8 soaps up.
Next to 3017 I think I'll go with TFS RasoZero Agrumella a summery lemon/lime scent that'll also give me a chance to get to work on my Kolonya A/S.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've contemplated a similar strategy, but finally decided to save myself a lot of trouble by just putting a sign on the door that said:

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate".

Hope things are going as well as you had hoped!

Mike M

No, not like the original Brut, though it is in a similar vein. It is clean and crisp with a citrus note too it. I'm not It has great staying power and lasted 8hrs on me. My missus liked the sample on the card but after only 2 sprays thought it was too strong on me. As for me, I really love it and wish I'd added it to my collection years ago. The only other scent I'm looking to add at the moment is Burberry London for a winter scent.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
How To Tame An Unruly Shave Den?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Its not Buckingham Palace accouterments, its not even modern amenities! I could spend the money to replace that 40 year old medicine cabinet, but I rather spend it on shaving gear! The point is, you don't need to spend a lot of money to organize your shave den.

Start by removing all your stuff, then give things a proper cleaning, rust permitting of course lol. Then realize that you don't need all of your shaving stuff up front and center, some things that don't get used often, can be stored under the sink cupboard.

Using your keen eye that I know that you have, organize things in a systematic fashion, try to keep items that are the same type, together. Make sure that its easy to get to your razors, you don't want to have to move around a bunch of stuff to get access to them. If there are electrical cords, consider keeping them out of the way by using tacks, to secure them to the walls.

If its at all possible, consider stacking items! Stacking is a great way to gain real estate on your counter. I have a small shave den, not a lot of space for things. But its amazing what you can accomplish, with proper organization, and realizing, that you don't need all the gear out at once. Keep a modest count of your razors always at the ready, as you can see, I have 5 in the open.

NOTE: Several members recommended that I make this post. :)

Like any hobby, folks find enjoyment in different ways. I've gone through periods where acquiring new soaps, razors, etc. was a lot of fun. After 25+ years of wet shaving I now tend to enjoy focusing on finding products I really enjoy, whether it's the scent of a soap, the performance of a soap or cream, or AS, or the performance of a razor or blade, or finding the "perfect" blade for a razor that really works well for me. These days I have a few soaps that I really enjoy, or enjoy the family of products. For those I have the soap, AS, balm, sometimes the EDT, etc. On relaxing mornings I really enjoy taking time to enjoy each product. I tend to enjoy longer, relaxing shave experiences on Mon, Wed and Fri. On most Tues and Thu I tend to often do a quicker, single pass shave and give my face a bit of a break. I don't typically shave on Sundays. I enjoy finding products that work well for those typical Tuesday and Thursday shaves. Something that gives me enough slickness and protection to provide a fairly smooth, quicker shave. Sometimes that means something like Cremo applied by hand on a damp face with a medium aggressive razor with something like a Feather that has been used a couple times, often follwed by an alum block.

Like everything, it's subject to change at any time if I find I enjoy something different. 6 or so razors in rotation works great for me, but I can certainly see the appeal of owning many more than that, or just having one favorite that works well for you. Success is the quality of your journey.

Mike M

One of my children added something to my Kolonya AS this morning to "improve" it leaving it cloudy with a rather unpleasant scent. It was less than a third of a bottle left but I have not kept it.
Now I have 5 AS left, next up is Blue Stratos which I intend to 3017.
I also forgot to mention that a few weeks ago I started my last tin of moisturizer, Nivea for men which I bought at the beginning of 2021 so I have now used my moisturizer mountain up.

lasta

Blade Biter
I was going to congratulate you on your resolve. Then I saw your Personna/Muhle purchase. At your rate, that added 5 years to your journey!

Top Bottom