What's new

How to Strop and How to Know if you rolled the edge?

I think 'rolling the edge' is something that happens way less frequently than imagined. I have found that it's actually pretty hard to do, and after forcing it to happen, the 'roll' almost always 'strops out'. In fact, 'killing an edge on glass' can create a similar event that looks more severs, and it can almost always be stropped out too. Whether or not the flexing right behind the apex has any lasting negative effects, I do not know but I am thinking more towards 'not'.
A rolled edge will cause that side of the blade to feel waaaay different on the strop. It'll shave poorly or not at all. You'll know the edge is way off right away.
How do you know if you're stropping properly ?
Well, if your're not stropping incorrectly you're pretty much good to go. As noted above - not too much slack, spine and blade in contact at all times. Pressure is usually present but in minimal quantities. I did see an old time barber using what I'd call an insane amount of pressure it causes me to rethink things sometimes, for sure there is more latitude than the nanny-state 'officials' claim.
Here's the video.

Top Bottom