What's new

How to stop buying razors?

Just start with straight razors, and hone your own blades. You now only need to collect stones, strops etc.:)
You only need one straight razor.
I do collect Straights also. I started with those cheap dollar ones to learn the stones with. Love Straight shaving time to time.

Reactions: JPO
There is no problem yet. Two razors, there are still many more to buy.

If there are no exciting new razors around you can try, in any order:

1.) Flashlights
2.) Knives
3.) Cognac (or Whiskey, but I only liked Bourbon so far)
4.) Trailrunning or running
There are way more sneakers than razors. I just started my collection.
Yes the flashlight collection?? Yes i have some pretty powerful flashlights.

Now, that's speaking truth to power. Shaving is cheap compared to watches, knives, firearms, photography, and quite a few other interests. If I spent a grand over, say, the past 20 years on shaving, I'd be surprised. I can spend that on one firearm in the blink of an eye!
I agree my firearms collection is ridiculously expensive, But between firearms, flashlights , motorcycles and razors I am more focused on razors ATM. Absolutely love this hobby!

Reactions: JPO

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Okay so this week I bought a Rex Ambassador and a Rocnel Sailer 2022 edition. I received the Rex but waiting on the Sailor to arrive in Canada. I honestly need to stop! Lol help!!

STOP looking! Unless you dropped your wallet in the hole!:lol: Been there done that!
Rabbit hole (3).jpeg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I have the following aftershaves in my current rotation --

Pinaud Clubman Original

Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Pinaud Clubman Whiskey Woods

Pinaud Clubman Cognac Neat

Pinaud Clubman Tequlia Tease

Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Pinaud Clubman Gent's Gin

Pinaud Citrus Musk

Pinaud Lime Sec

Master Topaz

Master Blue

Master Smokey Oud

Skin Bracer Original

Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue

Brut Splash On

Brut Aftershave

Lustray Spice

Lustray Blue Spice

Lustray Bay Rum

Lustray Coachman

Jeris Musk

Lustray Draggon Noir...not sure what to make of this one. I seldom reach for it.

Osage Rub

Old Spice Classic

*Had Pinaud Lilac Vegetal and dumped it. Not chosen*

*Had Aqua Velva Musk. Can't remember if I dumped it or gave it away as it gave my girlfriend a headache*

*Had Gillette Series Cool Wave and gave it away as I didn't like the scent*

I guess I should stop buying aftershaves for a while, eh? Limited space.

:001_smile

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Put all paychecks in the hands of your wife, and be honest with her about how much you've spent on many razors.

Although that's the situation I'm trying to avoid.

Send 'em west to BC and I'll dispose of them for you.

I had almost 100 at some point and down to less than 20. I wanted to focus and use the ones I love and not keep searching for the next best thing, as what I have suits me. I enjoyed the journey and experimenting.

Perhaps give high end badgers a peek, if you need to stop buying razors.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I don't know, once you get less than three, you've got a problem...
FIFY
I agree my firearms collection is ridiculously expensive, But between firearms, flashlights , motorcycles and razors I am more focused on razors ATM. Absolutely love this hobby!
I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned racecars. Now that is a good way to turn a large fortune into a small one.

~doug~

My main hobby is photography... my least expensive lens was $600 and it was a refurb. Just saying....
I know, I spend $ 20k last year changing camera and lenses from Nikon to Canon... All in all both can do the same damn thing. Take pictures. Then I caught myself taking more pictures with my Samsung phone than with expensive stuff, just because it is in my pocket everytime.

A razor and some soaps are nothing compared to this.

And is the same thing. Yon don't want to spend, STOP looking forums, reviews, shops and Youtube about it. The expensive thing do exactly the same that the inexpensive one. Maybe not as fancy as. But do.

I can get a excellent shave both from Nivea cream and Martin de Candre soap. End result is no different.

Remember, You don't lose 60 pounds going to McDonalds everyday.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know, I spend $ 20k last year changing camera and lenses from Nikon to Canon... All in all both can do the same damn thing. Take pictures. Then I caught myself taking more pictures with my Samsung phone than with expensive stuff, just because it is in my pocket everytime.

A razor and some soaps are nothing compared to this.

And is the same thing. Yon don't want to spend, STOP looking forums, reviews, shops and Youtube about it. The expensive thing do exactly the same that the inexpensive one. Maybe not as fancy as. But do.

I can get a excellent shave both from Nivea cream and Martin de Candre soap. End result is no different.

Remember, You don't lose 60 pounds going to McDonalds everyday.
I plan to switch from a DSLR to Canon's mirrorless offerings, but I'm waiting until they release the R5 II in the next couple years.

I have a very nice IDX2 and assorted lenses.... great gear, but as you know, changing to another system is painful. Just to get started will cost me $7 or 8k ... the camera and one lens. I won't convert all my lenses at once. And that's if I sell off my 1DX2 and my 100-400 ver. 2.

Reactions: edw

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I know, I spend $ 20k last year changing camera and lenses from Nikon to Canon

I plan to switch from a DSLR to Canon's mirrorless offerings, but I'm waiting until they release the R5 II in the next couple years.
You guys are about where I am with my 'stang that has been in storage for 23 years now when I look at all the spare parts. Two complete engines, transmissions, and rear-ends, just for starts. With any luck, I will finally get it back up and race ready in the next 6 months.

As far as cameras go, you guys have me totally outclassed. I picked up a Nikon D610 a few years ago because it can use the old lenses from my EM. I am however looking into replacing the old Seikanon 75-200 with an AF-S Nikkor 24-120...

~doug~

Just bought more plastic drawers to put shaving stuff, because what already is there in the house isn't enough.

Everything I write below is predicated on any contemplated purchase not creating a financial hardship and sufficient disposable income.

My late wife was very wise and had a two question test.
  1. Do you need it? If so buy it, if not go to question 2.
  2. Will it make you happy? If so buy it, if not forget about it.
After her death, I forgot this sage advice and bought some things I don’t need. I am now following this advice again and always smile and laugh a little when the outcome is “Forget about it”.

She is still watching out for me..

Top Bottom