What's new

How to start up a NOS Heljestrand

Steve, I have the Shapton Glass 1k HR, 4k HR, and 8k HC.

If I want to finish very high, I'll go to Nani 12k then diamond balsa, or Nani 12k then black ark.

If I want a jnat or coti fingerprint on it, I stop at the 8K HC.

I think if I was going to buy my Shaptons all over again, I'd just get the 2k HR and 6k HC. Now I know the 2k HR is fast enough for bevels.

I asked @Doc226, after he honed this razor, about how hard this swedish steel is. He said don't worry, it's not Adamantium.

Ha. These kids and their "Adamantium". In my day we talked about Mithril.

and I'll add this if you haven't shaved with it yet, or don't have experience with small wedgy type blades, that 24 is a rigid little bugger so be careful with your angles. I got sloppy with mine and rolled the toe into my face pretty easily. smaller blades require more finesse with the angles than larger blades I've found.

Hello all
I am the lucky owner of 2 mint 31,s
Both have 2 separate marvelous edges honed by an expert,

Been honing since Christmas and obtaining marvelous edges but now that I own 2 mint, Swedish gems, and that they were honed with tape if and when they require refresh , my deliema is to to go for it, and used tape , or send request one of you experts
Just FYI, one has a Vermont Green slate finish and the other one jnat finish
The Vermont Grn finish actually sharper but both marvelous
Hope not highjacking thread but seems good place to ask
Of corse gonna ride out current edges as long as possible but like you guys opinions

I own Shapton Glass 2k and 6k hc, and certainly with current marvelous edges I’m sure never need to go lower than 6- or 8 k, but since these are special gems , strongly considering letting a more professional touch up if and when needed
Thoughts

proxy.php

Hello all
I am the lucky owner of 2 mint 31,s
Both have 2 separate marvelous edges honed by an expert,

I’ve got a 30, 31, and 32 that look like yours. There’s no need for them to be honed on tape. If you do the work without tape, you should be able to quickly enough with your 8k, then progress to your finisher. Just have a really good look at your edges to know you’re back on one bevel, to the edge.

without tape, you’ll be removing metal above, and down to the edge, creating a shallower angle. as the blade was designed to use. And will then maintain that by equally wearing the edge and spine together. assuming you’ll be using them, and they aren’t safe queen investment pieces.

Alfredo asked me if I wanted him to use tape or not. I chose no tape.

It has a great edge and shaves well. It's a nimble little wedge of a blade.

I’ve got a 30, 31, and 32 that look like yours. There’s no need for them to be honed on tape. If you do the work without tape, you should be able to quickly enough with your 8k, then progress to your finisher. Just have a really good look at your edges to know you’re back on one bevel, to the edge.

without tape, you’ll be removing metal above, and down to the edge, creating a shallower angle. as the blade was designed to use. And will then maintain that by equally wearing the edge and spine together. assuming you’ll be using them, and they aren’t safe queen investment pieces.

Thanks, as I never to date have used tape, seems simple but few are advising use tape including vendor
Boy wish I had your 32[emoji3]
Tape no tape, that’s the question
Need to think [emoji189] on this more as your answer seems more logical, especially since I learned to date good honing / touch ups , without tape

I know this would be a good candidate for the Method system but I’m hardheaded and have resisted the method to date

These are mint razors, don’t want to ruin them but I also love honing and thus far have achieved amazing results obtaining edges on my other razors in the last four months
So lucky to own these gems [emoji184]

Thanks

Top Bottom