What's new

How to spray a small amount of cologne?

This may seem a rather odd question but how do you apply colognes with a spray top? My problem is that I want to use a very small amount but I don’t feel like I have much control with the spray top.

I am very sensitive to scents so for the ones I can stand to wear it has to be a very small amount. When I spray I feel like I’m wasting a majority of the product into the air.

Thanks.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Spray once, pointing away from you, then walk through the mist. That one spray will then be spread over a wider area, than if you pointed it towards you.

I generally spray one or two sprays (depending on the potency of the particular fragrance) in the chest and neck area, and I hold the bottle about a foot away when I spray. Some sprayers are better than others. The best ones will allow you to modulate how much juice comes out with the amount of pressure on the sprayer.

Hope that helps.

I generally spray one or two sprays (depending on the potency of the particular fragrance) in the chest and neck area, and I hold the bottle about a foot away when I spray. Some sprayers are better than others. The best ones will allow you to modulate how much juice comes out with the amount of pressure on the sprayer.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for your thoughts. Different things work for different people. Like I said, I am very sensitive to scents and I’m pretty sure even one spray directly at me would be too much. :)

I wish I could just have a screw-on cap rather than a sprayer then I feel I could better control of the fragrance. A drop from a bottle seems easier for me to control than a mist in air.

I would always have my wife sniff at my neck when I got home. If she detected more than a slight sent. I backed off my application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your thoughts. Different things work for different people. Like I said, I am very sensitive to scents and I’m pretty sure even one spray directly at me would be too much. :)
You could always try the method that @AimlessWanderer mentioned - spray and then walk through the mist. That won't prevent you from wasting juice obviously, but it does allow you to moderate how much of it gets on you.

I would always have my wife sniff at my neck when I got home. If she detected more than a slight sent. I backed off my application.

Indeed, you don’t want to be the guy whose cologne announces your arrival to all living creatures, great and small, to at least three surrounding states long before you actually arrive.

Indeed, you don’t want to be the guy whose cologne announces your arrival to all living creatures, great and small, to at least three surrounding states long before you actually arrive.

+1. Exactly. A skunk doesn’t smell it’s own odor and I didn’t want to be a skunk.

BA22881A-7FCB-42C0-8577-B2BA1935BB17.jpeg

There are pump bottles where you can turn the plunger a quarter inch to one side and receive only a partial sprits. I grabbed one of my wife’s out of the recycle bin from her cosmetics, and have employed it for liquid shave soap. I will ask her if she knows if the company has any spray bottles of the same design. Surely they exist. I’ve seen hacks where youd wrap the plunger with tape or similar so it only goes down so far. To regulate my spraying of cinnamon oil, or bay rum, I just use a two fingered grip on the plunger and hold the bottle thusly, which gives decent control of the amount dispensed....

I wonder whether a perfume atomizer with squeeze bulb would do it. They’re intend for applying small amounts.

I wish I could just have a screw-on cap rather than a sprayer then I feel I could better control of the fragrance. A drop from a bottle seems easier for me to control than a mist in air.

I ordered a box of small green glass bottles for essential oils, aftershaves, oils. They come with the plastic regulator in the neck to allow one drop at a time. Get a small funnel and fill as needed. Actually I think the bottles came with a funnel. These are tiny...you might want a size or two up.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716ZWWWC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

638F2E32-ED77-4B32-81A0-7E6BC2CBD656.jpeg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

I don't see why you should feel obligated to leave it in the original bottle.

View attachment 941874
There are pump bottles where you can turn the plunger a quarter inch to one side and receive only a partial sprits. I grabbed one of my wife’s out of the recycle bin from her cosmetics, and have employed it for liquid shave soap. I will ask her if she knows if the company has any spray bottles of the same design. Surely they exist. I’ve seen hacks where youd wrap the plunger with tape or similar so it only goes down so far. To regulate my spraying of cinnamon oil, or bay rum, I just use a two fingered grip on the plunger and hold the bottle thusly, which gives decent control of the amount dispensed....
The enhanced grip looks like something I might try as well.

Top Bottom