What's new

How to Soften a Zenith Brush?

Pic attached. Brush on the right.

The brush arrived over a week or so ago, and i’ve had 4 shaves with it so far. It’ synthetic, and the bristles are still pretty stiff even though i soak it in warm water before my shaves and all that.

I don’t use a bowl and almost always face lather. Plus I don’t like to paint the soap on..i prefer the circular method. I have been unable to use the circular motion so far since the bristles are really stiff and don’t fall flat on my face so i have to instead paint the soap on.

Is there a quick way to soften the bristles then? Or do i just have to be patient for them to be softened automatically with use?

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not a synthetic brush. It is a boar brush. Synthetic brushes do not require breaking in. Boar brushes require breaking in. Soak it in water for an hour or so. Give it a very good hand lathering session with your favourite soap. Procedure to giving it a good towel workout and it will start to take a bulb shape. The more you work it the softer it will become. Let it completely dry out between sessions.
Pic attached. Brush on the right.

The brush arrived over a week or so ago, and i’ve had 4 shaves with it so far. It’ synthetic, and the bristles are still pretty stiff even though i soak it in warm water before my shaves and all that.

I don’t use a bowl and almost always face lather. Plus I don’t like to paint the soap on..i prefer the circular method. I have been unable to use the circular motion so far since the bristles are really stiff and don’t fall flat on my face so i have to instead paint the soap on.

Is there a quick way to soften the bristles then? Or do i just have to be patient for them to be softened automatically with use?

proxy.php

E9BCC9F6-6F38-49B6-88C3-B9869B8E6FBB.jpeg

Soaking won't do much for synthetic bristles. They may become a bit less stiff with use, but they will not split like natural hair. So, unfortunately, I would not expect the brush to change very much with time.

If the bristles resist splaying, try starting on the point of the chin, to get the bristles to open up a bit. Then, you may be able to swirl with the brush.

That is not a synthetic brush. It is a boar brush. Synthetic brushes do not require breaking in. Boar brushes require breaking in. Soak it in water for an hour or so. Give it a very good hand lathering session with your favourite soap. Procedure to giving it a good towel workout and it will start to take a bulb shape. The more you work it the softer it will become. Let it completely dry out between sessions.

View attachment 1220080
I have never seen a boar brush hold that shape like the OPs. Even after only 4 shaves. Looks synthetic to me just because of the knot shape.

I have never seen a boar brush hold that shape like the OPs. Even after only 4 shaves. Looks synthetic to me just because of the knot shape.
I have never seen a synthetic without having some type of fan shape or bulb shape. I have however broken in seven boar brushes and they all came looking exactly like op‘s brush. I have had three synthetic brushes they all arrived with bulbs already formed. None of the three required breaking in. All seven of the boars required breaking in.

That looks like the Zenith 80R model. Those can be had with boar bristles or synthetic bristles.

View attachment 1220088

That brush sure looks like the one referenced- an entry level Zenith. @salman, please confirm what it is. I looked at a much expanded view of the OP's picture and some of the bristle tips look like they're splitting. Maybe, it's my old eyes, but I have yet to see that in a synthetic.

I've been playing with some boars lately and one of them I received, a Zenith Euro model, is still pretty stiff after the usual accelerated break in process, soaking, palm lathering, and towel drying. I'm thinking that at least on some of the entry level stuff Zenith is using a very hard boar bristle. Here's a picture of the Zenith after about ten soaks, lathers, and towel drying.

PXL_20210208_182517583.jpg

If the OP's is a boar bristle brush, maybe the OP got one like mine- hard and stiff that will take more time. After the ten goes at break in, my pictured little Zenith is still not ready to be fun to use. I'm thinking it may actually take up to 30 tries before it's really any good, if it gets there at all.

In contrast, the Zenith P2, ~$10, was good to go after a simple shampooing, a soak or two and towel drying. Also, an inexpensive Omega, aluminum colored plastic for Pre de Provence, was also good to go quickly.

We refer to brushes that shed, as shedders. Maybe, these will become known as "stiffies" :001_rolle

Years ago I had a cheap synthetic which was a bit scratchy. I wanted the tips to be softer and figured if I could wear down the tips a little bit that would = softer.

What I did was brush the tips of the bristles across the base of a ceramic baking dish. It has the texture of a medium/fine sharpening stone and my thinking was it would remove a bit of the material and give me my desired 'thinness'. I remember it working to some degree but I purchased a boat shortly after and donated it to a newb who was getting started so never used more than a week or so after. If you don't have a dish like that try it on a smooth slate stone, a sharpening stone, the wall etc and see if works. This will however have no effect on the whole fibre, just the tips and I've never heard of a method to soften the entire fibre either.

Thanks people.

Also, it is a synthetic. I got it off ebay, so unless i was given a fake synthetic..im not sure.

I’ve attached a picture of the ebay page for this brush here:

proxy.php

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
They have this same 80R in both boar and synthetic on Amazon.
I remember reading that some of the Zenith synthetic brushes felt like Omega S brushes, not very soft synthetic bristles like others.

Last edited:
I’m beginning to think that too lol

If it's a boar brush put it in the fridge in water for 3 days covering just the bristles not the handle where the glue is.Then take it out and give it a good scrub on a towel then let it dry.This will split the ends and make it a lot softer.If it's synthetic then i don't think there's much you can do.

If you really wanted to test if the bristle is synthetic or boar try removing a bristle and setting fire to it. Boar bristle will smell like burning hair and have a crumbly ash. Synthetic will smell, well, like plastic burning and have a 'melty' ash... Simples!!

If it's synthetic I don't think there's much you can do to break it in I'm afraid.

If you really wanted to test if the bristle is synthetic or boar try removing a bristle and setting fire to it. Boar bristle will smell like burning hair and have a crumbly ash. Synthetic will smell, well, like plastic burning and have a 'melty' ash... Simples!!

If it's synthetic I don't think there's much you can do to break it in I'm afraid.
+1- OP good luck trying to get it working well.

Top Bottom