What's new

How to shave with Schick Injector Type N

I can shave with a Merkur 34c DE razor with near reckless abandon and get great, nick free shaves. Not so much with my Schick Injector Type N. Why is this?

I’ve tried different brands of blades and different soap and creams but I always manage to nick myself much more than I find acceptable. Therefore, I’m thinking it must be my technique so I’ve tried to change angles, pressure, etc but I still look a customer of Sweeney Todd.

I still think it is a problem with my technique but maybe I am not meant to use a long handled razor. I had similar issues with the Merkur 38c Barberpole DE.

The 34c saved me from giving up and going full time to cartridges and electrics.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you.

I find I get the best injector shaves when I ride the cap. Have the cap parallel to and touching the face. Are you using the Chinese Schick Injector blades? I find they are superior.

Keep trying. Positive results will come. Wet shaving comes down to angle, pressure, and skin preparation, assuming you are using a fresh blade that your face likes.

How are you shaving with this razor? If you are shaving with the face of the razor flat against your face and not applying pressure you should not be getting nicks or cuts.

Is the blade sitting properly against the stops? Any signs of damage to the razor? The Schick N is a fairly mild razor.

The common thread appears to be my shave angle. I have not tried riding the cap but I shall give that a go tomorrow and report back.

I do have a supply of Chinese Schicks.

Thanks again!

What! impossible to get bit by an N Injector!! Just Kidding!!

I have 4 N3's and 2 N1's. One of each are still NOS. ;) The chicks are my favorite blade in the N's even over the loved 74's. N Injectors are super mild and I'm surprised you got bit by one. The only razor milder I have tried would be an adjustable set to 1 or 2. Like other have said the angle could be off.. maybe how fast you're trying to shave? Or I wonder if the razor is damaged? I can shave with my eyes closed with a mild Injector. Which is why I love them so... never a bad shave. Blade buffering works great (for me) with mild razors (SE or DE). Keep using it and see if it gets better. I feel odd going back and forth between DE and SE. So I stick with one for at least 1 month before switching (for fun).

I'm with you on long-handled razors - they can be problematic for me too. Try holding the razor with your fingers closer to the head. The farther down the handle you hold it, the easier it is to lose the angle, at least in my experience.

My shave with a Chinese Schick and riding the cap was a much better experience than before. Thank you for the suggestion to ride the cap! I was actually going the wrong way trying different angles before this thread.

Using the injector this morning I got a couple of minor nicks and the shave wasn't as clean as with my 34c, but dang it, this injector now shows some promise!

I have included photos of my razor for your analysis/enjoyment/etc...

DSC_3158.JPG
DSC_3159.JPG
DSC_3161.JPG
DSC_3163.JPG
DSC_3165.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_3163.JPG
    DSC_3163.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
  • DSC_3165.JPG
    DSC_3165.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC_3161.JPG
    DSC_3161.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC_3158.JPG
    DSC_3158.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC_3159.JPG
    DSC_3159.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
Great looking injector. Not surprised you like the Chick blade. Sounds like it's already shaving better. I believe that is actually an M or L injector. Might be slightly more aggressive vs N. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Great looking injector. Not surprised you like the Chick blade. Sounds like it's already shaving better. I believe that is actually an M or L injector. Might be slightly more aggressive vs N. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
I really have no firm idea of which series this razor belongs to. I saw some pictures of different razors and I thought it looked closest to being an “N” and that is why I said it was an N injector. I have no trouble being wrong though, that is how one learns oft times.

How does one know the injector’s letter designation?

I bought this off of eBay so I have no idea of when it was manufactured.

That is definitely an L type. The M is the adjustable, the N is very rectangular. I’m partial to the N type. They can easily be found on some auction sites.

It’s definitely an L. They’re not aggressive, but are very efficient shavers. It’s a beautiful razor in gold like yours.

Stick with it. I get great shaves riding the cap. I love injectors and don't give DE razors a second look. Chicks are stellar blades, but schick twin injector blades are a step up. Many people, including myself, get 50+ shaves out of 1 schick twin injector blade. The twin blades fit in your schick L razor. You can order them off the bay.

I really have no firm idea of which series this razor belongs to. I saw some pictures of different razors and I thought it looked closest to being an “N” and that is why I said it was an N injector. I have no trouble being wrong though, that is how one learns oft times.

How does one know the injector’s letter designation?

I bought this off of eBay so I have no idea of when it was manufactured.

The Schick model type designations are arbitrarily assigned labels given by the creator of this Schick Razor History and Timeline. This is the chart we are referring to when we call a razor a Type E or I or whatever.

If you like the Chinese "Chick" blades then you will love the Japanese Schick Proline B-20 blades. Many think they are the best currently made & I would agree. Only one U.S. vendor sells them, Bullgoose. The more economical choice is to order them from overseas on Rakuten, but they may take several weeks to arrive (usually about three). As well, they do not come in a magazine so you will need an empty one to load blades into.

Schick Pro-line B-20 Injector Blades (Dispensor of 20 Blades)

If you like the Chinese "Chick" blades then you will love the Japanese Schick Proline B-20 blades. Many think they are the best currently made & I would agree. Only one U.S. vendor sells them, Bullgoose. The more economical choice is to order them from overseas on Rakuten, but they may take several weeks to arrive (usually about three). As well, they do not come in a magazine so you will need an empty one to load blades into.

Schick Pro-line B-20 Injector Blades (Dispensor of 20 Blades)
Good to know, thanks!

Top Bottom