What's new

How to secure handle on Ever Ready razor

Hi,
I've recently been getting into vintage GEM-style razors, and my latest acquisition has a problem with the handle coming loose. I was hoping someone has some advice on how to secure it properly- simply push-fitting hasn't worked, and it's rather disconcerting to have it come loose during a shave! It's a shame, as it's my favourite razor of its kind so far.

I've got some epoxy resin, but I'd rather get some advice before committing to something like that.

Attachments

• er1.png
    er1.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 34
  • er2.png
    er2.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 33
It looks like your handle is broken since it's not supposed to come apart like that. You might try some epoxy to keep it together. Personally I wouldn't bother trying to remove the handle since it must be fozen in place.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hi,
I've recently been getting into vintage GEM-style razors, and my latest acquisition has a problem with the handle coming loose. I was hoping someone has some advice on how to secure it properly- simply push-fitting hasn't worked, and it's rather disconcerting to have it come loose during a shave! It's a shame, as it's my favourite razor of its kind so far.

I've got some epoxy resin, but I'd rather get some advice before committing to something like that.
Well I would just clean it up with some sand fine paper a little and if you have some loctite 609 or similar or use JB weld marine epoxy.
(it will never come apart again.)
JB weld can be messy so I like to use a Q-tip with some alcohol that wipes up any excess when parts are squeezed together again.

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate them!
I've just ordered some JB Weld Marine Epoxy, as suggested by Ron R (it looks better-suited to metals than my current epoxy).
I'll give an update when I've attempted the fix.

Good choice. But be sure to sand the surfaces so as to leave some scatches. This will give the JB Weld a place to fill in. smooth surfaces are harder to glue as the glue is just too thin. I'd go as far as to use some 80 or 120-grit paper. Just be careful not to scratch up any place that is not going together as your razor looks nice.

If you don't have any cracks/splits in the hollow handle portion, (unlike most Gillette Old press-fit handles that nearly always split), you could wrap/tape off the parts of the two handle pieces that you don't want the epoxy to touch with painter's tape (I prefer Frog Tape) -- that way it's easier to clean up w/isopropyl alcohol. I don't think that handle needs any weight added, but if you ever do a Gillette handle, a cut off piece of brass bolt or rod that fits inside the handle can be used to reinforce the fix and add weight, but that does not seem to apply in this case. Recommend using a bar clamp (or tape in a pinch) to hold the two pieces together while the epoxy cures -- if they pull apart during the cure process, you'll be forever stuck with any gap that forms between them.

I'm really grateful for this advice. This kind of repair is new to me, so I value all of it. The epoxy arrived earlier today, so I went ahead. I'll write down what I did, in case it helps anyone in future.

First, I cut a little bit of 80-grit lapping film and used that to scratch up both the male and female surfaces. I could see the scratches, and it brightened up the brass nicely. I used a bamboo skewer-thing to help apply pressure on the inner surface of the handle. To finish, I dipped a cotton bud in isopropyl and used it to wipe away the shavings on both surfaces.

Next, I taped-up the chrome surfaces near the join, to keep them clean from any wayward epoxy. My options were limited, so I used some PTFE tape. I think it worked quite well because it conformed to the surfaces very well.

Next was mixing equal parts of the epoxy and carefully applying it to the brass surfaces, both male and female. The bamboo skewer came in handy here again. I pressed the neck/head part to the handle, but when I came to clamp them together, I was a bit concerned about the pressure being concentrated on the tab on the head (and the slight angle of the razor). I unscrewed the head, which allowed me to get a straight clamp. The jaws of the clamp are a firm-ish rubber, and I used wads of tissue paper to provide a bit extra protection. With another cotton bud doused in isopropyl, I went around the seam to mop up any epoxy that had been forced out. Fortunately, there was very little.

So now, it's just a case of waiting for the epoxy to cure. When that's finished, I'll post a photo. After all, if it's really bad, I think I deserve to be shouted at!

Unscrew the top bit before you repair it.
These joints are interference fits in the factory so i would just use locktite thread lock and roughen up the surfaces 1st.

Well, it's done, and I'm quite pleased with the results. Perhaps it could have been tighter, but I didn't want to risk doing any damage given that I lack the press-fit tools for this job.
I'd like to thank everyone for their responses in this thread once again. I learned from each of you, and did my best to put your advice into practice.

I had a nice shave with the razor, and it felt nice and solid. I don't know what it is about the Streamline, but it does seem to give me the best results out of my GEM-style razors. I may need to get my hands on an MMOC sometime... Anyway, I did my best with the photos, but I struggled with the lighting:
ER1.jpg

Repaired ER Streamline with a couple of other GEM-style razors:
ERa2.jpg

Looks good, you'd have to know it was there to be able to tell it had been fixed, which is the goal. Well, the real goal was to make the razor perform as intended without the fear of it coming apart while your shaving and either: cutting you, or coming apart and the head falling and you catch it and cut yourself, or you almost catch it; cutting yourself in the process and the worse case scenario: it comes apart mid shave and the head hits something hard on the was down, damaging it.

Let's face it (no pun intended), cuts will heal, but they aren't making anymore GEM Streamlines...

Ron R

Well, it's done, and I'm quite pleased with the results. Perhaps it could have been tighter, but I didn't want to risk doing any damage given that I lack the press-fit tools for this job.
I'd like to thank everyone for their responses in this thread once again. I learned from each of you, and did my best to put your advice into practice.

I had a nice shave with the razor, and it felt nice and solid. I don't know what it is about the Streamline, but it does seem to give me the best results out of my GEM-style razors. I may need to get my hands on an MMOC sometime... Anyway, I did my best with the photos, but I struggled with the lighting:View attachment 1489681

Repaired ER Streamline with a couple of other GEM-style razors:
View attachment 1489682
I also have a Ever-ready Streamline and that is a nice upper mid range razor, looks like you repair went well and you will not have worry about it or who ever receives in the future. Talking about the streamline I use a flattened spent aluminum spine to lift the back of the blade upwards a little more because the spines where thicker back then & it seems smoother doing this IMO.
I have a nickel that is glued to a glass jar with JB weld Marine for over 3 years and that stuff is amazing it goes trough all the seasonal changes from -40C to +40C thermal shock + through all ice,snow & rain weather elements and I tried prying the nickel coin off the bottom of the glass jar this spring and it is not budging at all. I did this to see how well it works and have used it to repair some razors and modify some also. I recommend JB weld Marine when this subject comes up because you can use it for other house hold repairs or mechanical needs.
If a person wants to smooth out a Streamline razor a little all I do is place flatten aluminum spline under the the blade to make it tilt downwards like the older blades made back in the 1950's when the 2nd generation for streamline razors where introduced.
(some old archived photo's to help explain shimming idea (click to enlarge.)... Right photo is modern Gem blade compared to older blades that where used by Gem & Ever-ready & Star brands back in the early 1900's .
Eveready spline shimmed for a smoother shave..jpg
Comparing spline thickness 1.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Looks good, you'd have to know it was there to be able to tell it had been fixed, which is the goal. Well, the real goal was to make the razor perform as intended without the fear of it coming apart while your shaving and either: cutting you, or coming apart and the head falling and you catch it and cut yourself, or you almost catch it; cutting yourself in the process and the worse case scenario: it comes apart mid shave and the head hits something hard on the was down, damaging it.

Let's face it (no pun intended), cuts will heal, but they aren't making anymore GEM Streamlines...

Thanks! Always nice to get feedback on my handiwork. Yeah, the danger of dropping was another part of why I wanted to do this repair. Also, there's just something satisfying about getting these products back into working order- hopefully it can have many more decades of slicing hair ahead of it!

I also have a Ever-ready Streamline and that is a nice upper mid range razor, looks like you repair went well and you will not have worry about it or who ever receives in the future. Talking about the streamline I use a flattened spent aluminum spine to lift the back of the blade upwards a little more because the spines where thicker back then & it seems smoother doing this IMO.
I have a nickel that is glued to a glass jar with JB weld Marine for over 3 years and that stuff is amazing it goes trough all the seasonal changes from -40C to +40C thermal shock + through all ice,snow & rain weather elements and I tried prying the nickel coin off the bottom of the glass jar this spring and it is not budging at all. I did this to see how well it works and have used it to repair some razors and modify some also. I recommend JB weld Marine when this subject comes up because you can use it for other house hold repairs or mechanical needs.
If a person wants to smooth out a Streamline razor a little all I do is place flatten aluminum spline under the the blade to make it tilt downwards like the older blades made back in the 1950's when the 2nd generation for streamline razors where introduced.
(some old archived photo's to help explain shimming idea (click to enlarge.)... Right photo is modern Gem blade compared to older blades that where used by Gem & Ever-ready & Star brands back in the early 1900's .

Have some great shaves!

I'm definitely glad I took your advice and bought that JB Weld Marine epoxy now, it sounds really impressive!
I'll give the shimming idea a try, sounds like it might help particularly with the 'rawness' of fresh blades. Do you split the spine in half? You made no mention of splitting it, and that first photo appears to be the full (both sides) spine.

Ron R

You made no mention of splitting it, and that first photo appears to be the full (both sides) spine.
No need for that, once old spent blade spine is out I take and flatten the 2 sides back together and that is all that is needed and keep it flat as possible. It gives the blade a nice tilt for this razor and I found it helps and smooths it out a little. I got the idea from some old timers and they where right on this simple trick to mock a old blade.
I have used a elastic also but the flatted aluminum spine out lasts any elastic and is safer for handling and works fine even it's not perfect, I would not glue it in either like some have on other razors-no need and makes cleaning a pain IMO.
I used my Ever-Ready Streamline with the shim this morning.

ASRazor shave, Tuesday July19th 2022

Razor : Ever-Ready 2nd Generation Streamline -Mfg 1949-53, excellent upper mid range & designed well for it's time line, it is a heavy duty eye candy razor if you like ASR razors IMO with a Gem blade. ER Streamliner will deliver excellent shaves with a mature technique. I like to use a spent spline flattened to raise the back of blade like thicker older blades for this time line.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(6) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice vanilla scent with some light tobacco scent. I like this scent more than the aftershave.
Brush : Yaqi black Marble 24mm Silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter. This brush has a beautiful spray and it is not hard to reach small areas of the face at all, I was surprized!
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Ever-ready Streamline 2nd Gen with a coated Gem blade.(does not get any better for me today for closeness and no issues!)
SOTD July 19 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I think the Streamline is a beautiful razor, but I have yet to have run across one in the wild. Along with the Streamline, there are a few that I haven't seen in the wild to include a Gillette: Goodwill or Raised Flat Bottom, ABC Old Type, any bulldog, New Improved/New Big Fellows or the early Open Comb TTOs or heaven help me, a Toggle... But that won't stop me from looking.

Ron R

I think the Streamline is a beautiful razor, but I have yet to have run across one in the wild. Along with the Streamline, there are a few that I haven't seen in the wild to include a Gillette: Goodwill or Raised Flat Bottom, ABC Old Type, any bulldog, New Improved/New Big Fellows or the early Open Comb TTOs or heaven help me, a Toggle... But that won't stop me from looking.
You can get them a little easier if you buy them from _bay UK that is how I had to find mine, it is more a user grade but came with a stropping attachment with no case. B&B has some go up for sale once in a while and they are like new mostly IMO.
It took me a while to dial it in but know it works great, some folks find them rough with the 1st Generation Streamline from the 1930's has a different base plate where the 2nd Generation has a closed comb concept.
Streamline off of computer (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

If it helps, I bought mine back in May this year on eBay UK, my winning bid was £45. It included a few vintage blades, the stropper with its old leather strip, the razor itself and a damaged case.

No need for that, once old spent blade spine is out I take and flatten the 2 sides back together and that is all that is needed and keep it flat as possible. It gives the blade a nice tilt for this razor and I found it helps and smooths it out a little. I got the idea from some old timers and they where right on this simple trick to mock a old blade.
I have used a elastic also but the flatted aluminum spine out lasts any elastic and is safer for handling and works fine even it's not perfect, I would not glue it in either like some have on other razors-no need and makes cleaning a pain IMO.
I used my Ever-Ready Streamline with the shim this morning.

Have some great shaves!
I did what you said and... it really does make a difference! It feels more easy-going, less aggressive. It's a little fiddly to put the blade in with the shim, but the blades last long enough for it to only be a minor inconvenience. Regardless, I got a really nice shave out of it- comfortable, too.

Ron R

If it helps, I bought mine back in May this year on eBay UK, my winning bid was £45. It included a few vintage blades, the stropper with its old leather strip, the razor itself and a damaged case.

I did what you said and... it really does make a difference! It feels more easy-going, less aggressive. It's a little fiddly to put the blade in with the shim, but the blades last long enough for it to only be a minor inconvenience. Regardless, I got a really nice shave out of it- comfortable, too.
I like to pass along simple solutions if possible to make folks enjoy their shave gear more and if possible it will help someone in the future. I have been training apprentice Machinists and Millwrights for years when working in the pulp mill + oil & gas industries and I have not really changed passing information and knowns along the way.
Glade you are enjoying your razor again and many great shaves ahead.

I fished my Gem Jewel out of the Australian eBay; marketing for these razors seem to have been focused on the UK and the British Commonwealth.

Ron R

I fished my Gem Jewel out of the Australian eBay; marketing for these razors seem to have been focused on the UK and the British Commonwealth.
Wow, those razors because of their rarity, there are usually not many you see on _bay and have only seen a few go up for sale.
It is just easier to buy a Ever-Ready Streamline I found. When Ever-Ready set up their manufacturing plant in England in 1936-53 ASR thought they could have better access marketing strategy to the Commonwealth nations around the world.
The Ever-Ready and Gem Jewel 2nd Generation of Streamline are very similar physically other than the stamped name on the head and the embossed names on their cases.

Top Bottom