What's new

How to save an over abundance of Rosemary

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ok . . . maybe I am on a roll . . .

So what do you do . . . if you thought you bought a bit of Rosemary and ended up with a lot of rosemary. I love this stuff.

As I said in some other posts . . . I'm dealing with a restaurant supplier . . . I'm overwhelmed with what is delivered . . . but here is what I'm doing.

Sheet pan and into the freezer. In a day or so I will put them in small bags.

Freezing herbs.jpg

What you are doing is fine. By freezing it that way, you can separate out a few leaves at a time more easily. When you bag them, squeeze out as much air as you can.

You can also dry rosemary in the oven or with a dehydrator. Put rosemary on a piece of parchment paper, in a sheet pan, put in oven on lowest setting with the door cracked open for several hours. Put in tightly sealed glass jar.

Its only a 1/4#. You should see the five pound bag.

My home garden rosemary won't survive after getting covered in snow. The thyme on the other hand is going on 6 years now so before the first forecast snowstorm I pick mine, bundle it in small bundles, tie it and hang it above an air duct. I don't have a dehydrator. The oven in my apartment is a handful so I don't trust it.

On the rare occasion we don't use rosemary in time, we'll put it on a roasting rack above the ovens. The overordered/under-used thyme and parsley go in stock, no problem there.

Dehydrate it. Kept in ziplocks or glass bottles, pretty much last forever. I have dehydrated tomatoes [emoji534] decades old; still fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrs P has a big pot on the balcony, it's the only herb that survives here. She's tried thyme, basil and mint but none make it. 32c daytime temperatures probably don't help.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Lovely rosemary, there. We might be buying and freezing some soon, as well. I doubt our plant will survive the coming freeze, and it's replacement likely will need to grow a while before we can start using it for more than a small sprig.

It sure is nice to grow herbs and not have to worry about either store quality, availability, or leftovers!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My rosemary was one of the few things in the garden that thrived this past season.

What proteins do you folks use it with the most?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I use fresh rosemary with anything. It's no so much what it goes well with but more using the right amount. Take the most care with fish.

I even put a tiny sprig in my coffee for a few minutes if my coffee is kind of old and flat.

strop

Now half as wise
My rosemary was one of the few things in the garden that thrived this past season.

It's not just for proteins! Try roasting potatoes with it, or even macerating some strawberries with a little.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
It's not just for proteins! Try roasting potatoes with it, or even macerating some strawberries with a little.

Roasted root vegetables on a sheet pan, rosemary, black pepper, salt, olive oil. Ok add some onion and garlic . . . Food that is almost free except for the tiny bit of work to cook it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I made a a batch of beef stew with some rosemary on the weekend. It really is good with almost any protein including fish. Also surprisingly nice in dinner rolls.

I cried ...two months after we had to cut down a beeuuutieeeful 10 foot tall and wide rosemary bush when I REALLY realized what I'd lost.

Top Bottom