What's new

How to safely store P.160 and Cella kilo bricks

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
On B&B there has certainly been, in the last period, a growing interest on Italian shaving soaps. In particular P.160 and Cella seem to be very appreciated by many new lovers of these great, traditional soft soaps. I am personally receiving a lot of private messages regarding Italian made shaving soaps. And one of the most asked question is: “How to safely store my large kilo brick of P.160 or Cella?” This question surely makes sense, since these preservative free products can go rancid if not properly maintained. Also, a kilo brick, with daily use, will last about two full years. Here are some simple advices to follow:

1. Cut a portion of soap from your kilo brick and mould it into a container with an hermetic lid. The hermetic lid is, in my opinion, very important: remember to close it after each use.

2. Keep your remaining kilo brick sealed in a plastic bag and open that bag exclusively when a new portion of soap is needed to refill your soap container. Do not forget to close again the bag carefully.

3. Keep your kilo brick away from heat, direct sunlight and humidity. Therefore a fresh and dry place is crucial.

4. There is no need to keep your kilo brick in the freezer. Keeping the kilo brick in the freezer is something that many do, and essentially it’s not wrong, but simply not necessary if you follow the advices above.

I’ve been storing P.160 and Cella in this way during the last 15 years and have never seen a single block of soap (in Italian called “panetto”) going rancid. Furthermore, these recommendations have got the approval of three different Italian Master Barbers I have specifically consulted on this subject. With over thirty years of experience each, these Master Barbers are unquestionably the highest authorities regarding Italian made shaving soaps.

another option for long term storage would be 'mason/ball/etc' type canning jars. stored in a cool dark place I would think the soap would keep for years.

I hope this valuable information also applies to Klar Kabinett Shaving Soap because this sucker is huge.

Nice to see I was on the right track, although I did take the storage a step further.
Being a home brewer I of course have a vacuum sealer so I took the box and sealed it up nice and tight. Is it necessary? Probably not, but hey any excuse to play with my toys.

Thanks, Marco. Very timely post as I was just looking into the Kilo the other day. Very good to hear that it doesn't need to be in the freezer and that an airtight bag in the basement will do. $45 for at least 2 years of (my favorite) shave soap is quite a deal! Done and done.

I need this sort of news. It gets my blood pressure back to normal.I can now rest assure that the 1 Kilo of P160 Morbido will stay safe. Thank you Marco!
I remember that I wrote an e-mail to Speick and asked how much their products last. If I'm not mistaken they told me it will last for quite some years! (if unopened, and kept properly).
Thank you again, Marco. Your contributions with such info are great!

1. Cut a portion of soap from your kilo brick and mould it into a container with an hermetic lid. The hermetic lid is, in my opinion, very important: remember to close it after each use....

Thanks Marco for the great advice, especially since I just received my kilo of Cella in the mail.

A quick question for clarification. Is it Ok to seal the hermetic container while the soap is still moist/damp or must the soap be dry? Thanks again!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks Marco for the great advice, especially since I just received my kilo of Cella in the mail.

A quick question for clarification. Is it Ok to seal the hermetic container while the soap is still moist/damp or must the soap be dry? Thanks again!

Bruce, as soon as you open your pack , cut the quantity of soap you need to refill your container. Mould that portion of soap into your container and close it carefully and immediately. Unlike triple milled soaps, Cella is a soft paste that seems a bit moist/damp as you properly pointed out and, therefore, it doesn't have to be or to look "dry".

Thank-you Marco... I will make sure I head out to my local kitchen suppliers on my lunch break today and pick up a couple containers with hermetic lids...

Thanks for the info Marco, I still have to try Cella but will get around to it and other Italian soaps soon I hope.

Thanks for the great tips. I do think the freezer is best, though. No more worries. Just bought a kilo of the P160 and tomorrow that's where most of it's going.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thank you Marco!

mason jar works for me (simple kinda guy:)I have cella thats fine after being stored for several yrs.

Welcome to B&B!

If I'm not mistaken, P.160 and Cella do not contain preservatives and it can go bad. Also, keeping them in a sealed container or bag will help the scent to remain in the soap.

Marco...does the same apply to Valobra? I packed mine into a wooden bowel with a cover, while the cover is not air tight, I have had the Valobra I'm there for a few months with no noticeable ill effects.

Top Bottom