What's new

How to safely store P.160 and Cella kilo bricks

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thank you Marco!
If I'm not mistaken, P.160 and Cella do not contain preservatives and it can go bad. Also, keeping them in a sealed container or bag will help the scent to remain in the soap.

Excellent point, Luc! And yes, for those who like the fragrance of P.160 and Cella, keeping these soaps sealed in a container or bag will surely help to preserve their natural scent.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco...does the same apply to Valobra? I packed mine into a wooden bowel with a cover, while the cover is not air tight, I have had the Valobra I'm there for a few months with no noticeable ill effects.

Tom, excellent question and thank you for asking. Valobra, Crema di Sapone Purissima does not need an hermetic container. So, you may ask: "Why, since this soap is preservative free, just like P.160 and Cella?" For two main reasons:

1. Valobra gives an expiry date of 36 M on the pack, once opened. Cella and P.160 give an expiry date of only 12 M. Valobra has a clearly superior resistance against air, heat and humidity or, in other words, a much longer shelf life.

2. Valobra comes in a small 150 g brick against the big 1 kilo brick of both P.160 and Cella. It is more than evident that a smaller quantity of soap will last much less and, therefore, it will be much less exposed to the elements.

Would a vacuum sealed food bag work better?

I was planning on getting a brick and cutting it into bowl sized portions, then sealing it in a vacuum bag. So long as I keep it at room temperature and out of sunlight it should last a long long time. Some of our home made cheese is over 5 years old and still going strong.

I was planning on getting a brick and cutting it into bowl sized portions, then sealing it in a vacuum bag. So long as I keep it at room temperature and out of sunlight it should last a long long time. Some of our home made cheese is over 5 years old and still going strong.

That should be fine. Just remember to label them cheese or soap!!!:lol:

David

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

I suppose the right answer is "yes, it would". But this is something that I've never seen doing and that I've never personally tested.

Nice to see I was on the right track, although I did take the storage a step further.
Being a home brewer I of course have a vacuum sealer so I took the box and sealed it up nice and tight. Is it necessary? Probably not, but hey any excuse to play with my toys.

Same here. I took a chunk of my Klar Kabinett and moulded it into my mini pyrex bowl and took the rest and used my vacuum sealer and secured it into a nice airtight bag. Looks like it should be good for quite a while.

I plan on vacuum packing puck sized pieces wrapped in wax paper so it does not stick to the vacuum bag itself too much. I know I do not need to do this but if I have the toys why not divvy it up and pack it up all nice?

Good Idea Gix,I treat it just like Cheese,Wrap it in French cheese paper (AKA wax paper).
Inhibits bacterial growth,store in a cool dark place in some sort of airtight container,(I use ziplocks) done.

This is a tangent, but I left my Omega soap uncovered for a night and most of the menthol seems to have evaporated :blushing: I was just not thinking and in a rush.

This is what I will be doing once men arrives. To me, this is the best method. It's actually taking the extra step. :thumbup1:
I see what it does with food and cheeses.

I plan on vacuum packing puck sized pieces wrapped in wax paper so it does not stick to the vacuum bag itself too much. I know I do not need to do this but if I have the toys why not divvy it up and pack it up all nice?

Me too :thumbup:

On B&B there has certainly been, in the last period, a growing interest on Italian shaving soaps. In particular P.160 and Cella seem to be very appreciated by many new lovers of these great, traditional soft soaps. I am personally receiving a lot of private messages regarding Italian made shaving soaps. And one of the most asked question is: “How to safely store my large kilo brick of P.160 or Cella?” This question surely makes sense, since these preservative free products can go rancid if not properly maintained. Also, a kilo brick, with daily use, will last about two full years. Here are some simple advices to follow:

1. Cut a portion of soap from your kilo brick and mould it into a container with an hermetic lid. The hermetic lid is, in my opinion, very important: remember to close it after each use.

2. Keep your remaining kilo brick sealed in a plastic bag and open that bag exclusively when a new portion of soap is needed to refill your soap container. Do not forget to close again the bag carefully.

3. Keep your kilo brick away from heat, direct sunlight and humidity. Therefore a fresh and dry place is crucial.

4. There is no need to keep your kilo brick in the freezer. Keeping the kilo brick in the freezer is something that many do, and essentially it’s not wrong, but simply not necessary if you follow the advices above.

I’ve been storing P.160 and Cella in this way during the last 15 years and have never seen a single block of soap (in Italian called “panetto”) going rancid. Furthermore, these recommendations have got the approval of three different Italian Master Barbers I have specifically consulted on this subject. With over thirty years of experience each, these Master Barbers are unquestionably the highest authorities regarding Italian made shaving soaps.

Marco,if there's one thing I love about you it's your enthusiasm. It's very refreshing.
:thumbup1:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I keep the plastic 1 quart takeout soup containers for various uses. Just got a 1k brick of Cella. After I put 6.25 oz in a small tupperware type container, the rest fit very nicely in the quart container with a tight sealing lid with room to spare; the entire brick may have fit.

Last edited:
hmm I may try that , I use my vacuum sealer to keep my cereal fresh , should work for my soaps

On B&B there has certainly been, in the last period, a growing interest on Italian shaving soaps. In particular P.160 and Cella seem to be very appreciated by many new lovers of these great, traditional soft soaps. I am personally receiving a lot of private messages regarding Italian made shaving soaps. And one of the most asked question is: “How to safely store my large kilo brick of P.160 or Cella?” This question surely makes sense, since these preservative free products can go rancid if not properly maintained. Also, a kilo brick, with daily use, will last about two full years. Here are some simple advices to follow:

1. Cut a portion of soap from your kilo brick and mould it into a container with an hermetic lid. The hermetic lid is, in my opinion, very important: remember to close it after each use.

2. Keep your remaining kilo brick sealed in a plastic bag and open that bag exclusively when a new portion of soap is needed to refill your soap container. Do not forget to close again the bag carefully.

3. Keep your kilo brick away from heat, direct sunlight and humidity. Therefore a fresh and dry place is crucial.

4. There is no need to keep your kilo brick in the freezer. Keeping the kilo brick in the freezer is something that many do, and essentially it’s not wrong, but simply not necessary if you follow the advices above.

I’ve been storing P.160 and Cella in this way during the last 15 years and have never seen a single block of soap (in Italian called “panetto”) going rancid. Furthermore, these recommendations have got the approval of three different Italian Master Barbers I have specifically consulted on this subject. With over thirty years of experience each, these Master Barbers are unquestionably the highest authorities regarding Italian made shaving soaps.

I just bought bricks of Cella, P.160 and Vitos. After cutting off about 150 g of each I repackaged the remainder. I must have well over 6 years of soap here (plus all of the others) so some of this is going to be around a long time. Do you think there is any down side to freezing them. I have the freezer space, I just don't want to damage them by freezing. I could also store them in a fridge at about 5 deg C if that would be better. Which would you recommend?

Thanks for your recommendations for Cella. Unfortunately I think I have a lot of other soaps that aren't going to see much use now :001_smile.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I just bought bricks of Cella, P.160 and Vitos. After cutting off about 150 g of each I repackaged the remainder. I must have well over 6 years of soap here (plus all of the others) so some of this is going to be around a long time. Do you think there is any down side to freezing them. I have the freezer space, I just don't want to damage them by freezing. I could also store them in a fridge at about 5 deg C if that would be better. Which would you recommend?

Thanks for your recommendations for Cella. Unfortunately I think I have a lot of other soaps that aren't going to see much use now :001_smile.

Freezing soft soaps for a very long time shouldn't damage them, but I have no direct experience on this. I would, once again, suggest sealing your soft soaps in hermetic containers, away from heat, direct sunlight and humidity. This way of storing is very simple, effective and 100% sure.

Just sprung for a small container of cella to experiment with, if it works then the kilo brick will be next

Freezing soft soaps for a very long time shouldn't damage them, but I have no direct experience on this. I would, once again, suggest sealing your soft soaps in hermetic containers, away from heat, direct sunlight and humidity. This way of storing is very simple, effective and 100% sure.

Marco

Have you had soft soaps that have been stored for 5 or 6 years? I keep reading about people with Cella or other Italian soaps that have apparently turned brown, and I don't want that to happen to my stash. (I like this stuff too much!)

Thanks

I have been using P.160 for several years and have never had a brick go bad on me. The worst that has happened is that the soap will start to dry out and harden. Now watch, I will go up to the bathroom and check my soap and find it is spoiled.:lol::lol:

Top Bottom