What's new

How to remove "white buildup"?

I'm curious for the best ways people have found for removing white build-up I've found on razors, grooves in brush handles, etc. It looks most like some old dried up shaving soap leftovers or so, perhaps from imperfect rinsing after use of the years. I've tried rinsing under high pressure, hot water and, when not near a blade, scratching a bit with my fingers without much luck.
Thanks!

I'm curious for the best ways people have found for removing white build-up I've found on razors, grooves in brush handles, etc. It looks most like some old dried up shaving soap leftovers or so, perhaps from imperfect rinsing after use of the years. I've tried rinsing under high pressure, hot water and, when not near a blade, scratching a bit with my fingers without much luck.
Thanks!

I am going to assume that you have washed something before, just wash whatever it is, and use an old toothbrush where necessary.

Thanks both for the tip on old toothbrush!

TobyC, I get how ridiculous it sounds, but generally when I wash stuff I'm not worried about a potentially delicate finish coming off as i am here

TobyC, I get how ridiculous it sounds, but generally when I wash stuff I'm not worried about a potentially delicate finish coming off as i am here

Mild soap, water, soft toothbrush, you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

What are you cleaning? The only razors I would be careful of are the old Gold washed OT. Everything else is pretty tough!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It's basically soap scum. Scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush will do the job.

Once a month I take out the hardware from my meagre den and give them the toothbrush scrub with some dish soap. Recent purchases of vintage razors would get the whole nine yards treatment. Scrubbing Bubbles, toothbrush, Barbicide, alcohol soak, gently patting down with microfibre cloth...
Nope, not too anal about new vintage purchases, eh?
These days, now that the RAD has been tamped down mercilessly, a toothbrush and dish soap keeps that scummy buildup off the tools.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I found this stuff is awesome. I do my razors once a week and they look like new after just a few seconds with an old toothbrush.

5313-bar-keepers-friend-135818.jpg

Wet the razor, sprinkle some on and a very quick scrub, then under running water and they gleam like new.

The only razors I would be careful of are the old Gold washed OT. Everything else is pretty tough!

Careful on gold however as stated above. If you have any cuts on your hands, it'll sting a bit!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
What are you cleaning? The only razors I would be careful of are the old Gold washed OT. Everything else is pretty tough!
I have an old gold tech that I've only used one week. I used a tooth brush and a q-tip on the under plate to get wax residue left from the blade. I noticed gold on the q-tip when doing that. How do you clean a vintage gold razor? I don't believe the soft toothbrush took off any gold, but I'm not sure maybe I just didn't notice. I sure would love to keep it in regular rotation.

I have an old gold tech that I've only used one week. I used a tooth brush and a q-tip on the under plate to get wax off from the blade. How do you clean a vintage gold razor? I don't believe the soft toothbrush took off any gold, but I'm not sure maybe I just didn't notice. I sure would love to keep it in regular rotation.
I'm no expert for sure. For my gold OT I just use hot soap water and a soft cloth.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have an old gold tech that I've only used one week. I used a tooth brush and a q-tip on the under plate to get wax residue left from the blade. I noticed gold on the q-tip when doing that. How do you clean a vintage gold razor? I don't believe the soft toothbrush took off any gold, but I'm not sure maybe I just didn't notice. I sure would love to keep it in regular rotation.

My NOS Gillette NEW LC gold plated, got nothing but a hot water soak with Dawn and a very gentle drying. I understand that gold "plating" to be more a "wash" and very thin.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My NOS Gillette NEW LC gold plated, got nothing but a hot water soak with Dawn and a very gentle drying. I understand that gold "plating" to be more a "wash" and very thin.
Thanks, I will do that, on another note the after picture of your tech looks great. I just might give it a shot on my non-gold razors.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks, I will do that, on another note the after picture of your tech looks great. I just might give it a shot on my non-gold razors.

As long as you dont want to retain any patina. It will clean patina right off brass, and very quickly.

Edit:

This is my NEW SC as it came to me, and after I was finished with it. There were some deeper scratches I had to buff out on a wheel, but as long as you dont have any damage like that, BKF will get you to very near the same place.

IMG_1354.jpg IMG_1356.jpg

And after.

IMG_1419.JPG

With my LC which has, pretty much, an as new finish.

IMG_1452.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom