What's new

how to remove soap buildup from razor head?

My AS-D2 head has quite a build up of soap scum (see attached).

I've looked at some of the articles on cleaning razors and they seem quite involved and require a scrubbing brush, etc.

Is there not something that would dissolve the soap? I have tried soaking in hot water and then scrubbing with a toothbrush (unfortunately mine are ultra soft). That gets some of the soap scum off but not all of it.

I started to think of maybe trying to soak it in laundry rinse which is used to help washing machines get soap residue out of clothes. I'm attaching the list of ingredients. Does it look safe?

Attachments

• IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.32.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.32.21 AM.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I use a bathroom soap-scum remover like the one pictured. Using the bathroom cleaner requires a little light scrubbing with a toothbrush in my experience but maybe I'm just impatient.

White vinegar should work as well. You cut white vinegar with water 50/50.
Dow.jpg

The problem is there are mineral deposits mixed in with the soap scum. Something like scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush will remove this and doesn't seem to do any harm to the razor.

As posted above:
Using the bathroom cleaner requires a little light scrubbing with a toothbrush in my experience...

Reactions: bjm
Barkeeper's Friend and a toothbrush. Cleaner than new.
BKF is quite abrasive. I would not use this unless other, gentler methods failed. Want a bit of abrasion use a whitening toothpaste.

To prevent this from happening again, buy yourself a gallon of distilled water. Use the distilled water for lathering and also for rinsing the razor during the shave and after the shave. Voila! Never have to worry about it again.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Most times Dawn and a toothbrush will do the job. A word of caution about pipe cleaners. Some had a internal metal wire that can pop out and scratch what your cleaning.

BKF will etch metal finishes if you are not careful. I would try something else first.

BKF is quite abrasive. I would not use this unless other, gentler methods failed.

I'm calling pics or it didn't happen. OP's razor is stainless steel. If you can etch SS with BKF and a toothbrush, I'd be genuinely interested in such sorcery. I've included a pic of my 6 year-old SS ATT razor that I've used this method on consistently. And just for fun I threw in a brass head as well - brass being considerably softer than SS.

Both cleaned prior to pic with BKF and toothbrush.

bkf-razors.jpg

Will BKF be ok for the chromium finish of the AS-D2? I have use BKF on my pots and it looks like it essentially scrapes off a layer of whatever is being cleaned.

I'm calling pics or it didn't happen. OP's razor is stainless steel. If you can etch SS with BKF and a toothbrush, I'd be genuinely interested in such sorcery. I've included a pic of my 6 year-old SS ATT razor that I've used this method on consistently. And just for fun I threw in a brass head as well - brass being considerably softer than SS.

Both cleaned prior to pic with BKF and toothbrush.

View attachment 1260432
Nice try, NotThatMatt, but the OP razor is a Feather AS-D2. It is not raw stainless steel like your ATT razor. It is coated with an extremely thin layer of chrome. BKF could potentially mar the coating.

Just some clarification, there is no hydrochloric acid in CLR.

CLR MSDS

I've used CLR on plenty of chrome and nickel plated hardware over the years without issue.
My error.[emoji34] I was under that impression from many years ago. It is pretty strong to use on a razor's finish.

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom