What's new

How to remove gold plating of Gillette NEW

Hi gents,

I have some Gillette NEWs that do not look really nice as the plating is particularly gone. I know that Gillette NEWs are "gold washed" rather than gold plated and that there is a layer of some other stuff to make this "plating" more durable. In the past I had NEWs without a gold plating at all. They looked really nice and I like to see how patina gives a razors some kind of soul.

So, is there a way to remove the gold layer safely, without polishing? Some kind of chemicals? Or hear whatever?

Thanks,

Sami

If you want the plating gone, just polish it off.
I did that with a new that was in bad shape, took no time at all. Within months the copper gets a nice red patina, I still will put a shine to it with a jewelers cloth time to time.

R

romsitsa

Without polishing the brass will be dull, so you can't skip this step, but it also won't harm brass.
If the gold has a nickel undercoat, is can be chemically removed.
If not, you can polish it away in seconds. If it's more orange than gold, then the lacquer is still present, some owen degreaser will strip it off.
If it's a higher end New Deluxe, it will take more time as these have a proper gold plating (usually).

Without polishing the brass will be dull, so you can't skip this step, but it also won't harm brass.
If the gold has a nickel undercoat, is can be chemically removed.
If not, you can polish it away in seconds. If it's more orange than gold, then the lacquer is still present, some owen degreaser will strip it off.
If it's a higher end New Deluxe, it will take more time as these have a proper gold plating (usually).
I'm sure that there is no nickel under the gold. Polishing is fine but I'm not sure if I can remove the gold on the handle because of the knurling on the handle.

I was able to remove the lacquer by hot water... But it took awhile.

Thanks for your answer!

R

romsitsa

I'm sure that there is no nickel under the gold. Polishing is fine but I'm not sure if I can remove the gold on the handle because of the knurling on the handle.

I was able to remove the lacquer by hot water... But it took awhile.

Thanks for your answer!

Use a Dremel with a polishing wheel (cloth) and some mild polishing compound, it will get rid of every bit of gold.

If you want the plating gone, just polish it off.
I did that with a new that was in bad shape, took no time at all. Within months the copper gets a nice red patina, I still will put a shine to it with a jewelers cloth time to time.
My only concern is the knurling on the handle. Not to polish it away and still to remove the gold within the knurling.

If I understand you correctly the knurling is not a problem at all?

Top Bottom