What's new

how to remove a knot set with RTV silicon adhesive sealant

I few months ago I put a TGN knot in a cheap Omega plastic handle using clear silicon adhesive sealant. The handle was hollow underneath so I couldn't set the knot as deep as I wanted. Now, I'm planning on moving the knot in another handle. Does anyone know what's the best way to take the knot out besides cutting the plastic around it?

I few months ago I put a TGN knot in a cheap Omega plastic handle using clear silicon adhesive sealant. The handle was hollow underneath so I couldn't set the knot as deep as I wanted. Now, I'm planning on moving the knot in another handle. Does anyone know what's the best way to take the knot out besides cutting the plastic around it?

Because you want to preserve the knot, do not use the steam heat removal method because it will ruin the hairs on the knot. Cutting may be the safest way unless there is a chemical that can overcome the RTV without damaging the hairs.

Good fortune.

The intention using silicone for a seal is it's property to never fully harden or cure. It is supposed to stay somewhat flexible. Thefore I'd try to pull the knot out with some force of course but very slowly. Bind the knot very tight around the base just above the edge of the handle with 10 to 15 rounds of thick twine layered on top of each other. The better you secure the knot this way, the more the pulling force will be distributed over the whole amount of hair. Try to pull for 1 or 2 minutes with a constant force from time to time angeling a little. If the silicone starts to loose at one side, you have a winner. Never tried this myself, so you should consider the price of knot vs handle and sacrifice the cheaper before damaging both. Good luck and let us know if this works out.

Thanks for the suggestions. The handle was quite soft and it was easy to cut through it. I was able to cut off small pieces from it and removed them one by one. The silicon was flexible and I had no problem separating the plastic pieces from the knot cup slowly using a knife. The knot is undamaged. I'll buy a new handle for it.

Top Bottom