What's new

How to refresh a suit between cleanings?

What I usually do is to leave it outside in the shade for a few hours to give it a fresh smell and then use a garment steamer.

Buy one bottle of cheap vodka, none of that flavored stuff. Put vodka into a spray bottle and spritz the garment lightly and allow it to air dry. The stink goes bye-bye and does not leave any booze scent behind. Nor does it smell of Febreeze which can leave it's own scent. It's an old theater trick that has been working well for a very long time. Steam the suit if needed once the suit is dry.

~Clem

Buy one bottle of cheap vodka, none of that flavored stuff. Put vodka into a spray bottle and spritz the garment lightly and allow it to air dry. The stink goes bye-bye and does not leave any booze scent behind. Nor does it smell of Febreeze which can leave it's own scent. It's an old theater trick that has been working well for a very long time. Steam the suit if needed once the suit is dry.

~Clem

Very clever, Clem. Amazing what you can do with vodka - from cleaning glasses to freshening up garments.

Now this might be a taboo, but I just toss the suit into the dryer for a minute or two. Hey, I have to tell the truth. Good, bad or ugly, that is what I do.

Hang it up in the bathroom while you take a steamy shower. That usually gets the wrinkles out. Then I'll let it hang out in the open (no garment bag or closet) to thoroughly dry.

For the past year I've worn suits almost every day. In my opinion the best defense is a good offense. I don't wear the jacket in my car, and when possible I take it off when sitting down. I also remove the suit the second I get home. I pay attention to detail when it comes to my dress, and using this approach one can look presentable for months.

As other posters have stated, hanging the suit in the shower or using a steamer can help. Also, be very careful when hanging the pants. Line up the creases and stagger where you fold them over.

Top Bottom