What's new

How to put a replacement knot in a shaving brush ?

Hello,

How to put a shaving knot in a new empty shaving brush handle so that the handle could be used again when the knot eventually wears out ?

My shaving journey has progressed to wanting a rotation of shaving brushes in addition to a rotation of soaps. I originally preferred fully made brushes with wooden handles but recently came across a beautiful 26mm polycarbon (acetate?) brush handle needing filling with a knot. Where to find an assortment of knots, and what glue to use allowing for removing the knot later after eventually wearing out? In general I prefer a rougher feeling knot than most badger knots because of wanting to whip up lather more quickly.

Thanks,

Bass301

I used the same hot melt glue that I got
from 3 rivers archery to attach arrowheads.
It holds fine.

I planned to be able to boil it out if and when the time came,
but the time hasn't come yet, so I don't really know if that part
will work the way I want.

A & B epoxy glue .

Use very small amount so you don't get glue overflow into knot .

The knot can be removed in future by placing shaving brush in saucepan of boiling water etc

You can find many good knots on AliExpress.

Photo : Homemade DSC resin handle with a Omega knot which I made 4 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_153520.jpg
    IMG_20190927_153520.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I hear some people use silicone glue, and the knot can just twisted out if needed. Personally, I have experience with silicone or with steaming out knots, I just drill them out if needed.

There is an entire sub forum below this one on brush making and restoring with lots of tutorials. There are many sources for knots and you can spend as little or as much as you want. What kind of knot do you think you want?

If whipping up lather quickly is your goal, I'd go with a synthetic knot. AP Shave Co has a terrific selection.

To set knots, I use a glue called Marine Goop. Unlike epoxy, it allows me to twist out a knot if need be without damaging the handle or the knot. But at the same time, it is also strong enough to hold a knot permanently.

Top Bottom