What's new

How to properly load tobacco in a pipe?

That was my problem. I was expecting draw like a cigar, with drying issues. I'm starting to lean more towards a combination of codger can scoop and gravity. I'll give a couple good scoops and then tap the sides and bottom a little, just to settle it. Then gravity fill, tapping after each pinch. Works good enough for me.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
That was my problem. I was expecting draw like a cigar, with drying issues. I'm starting to lean more towards a combination of codger can scoop and gravity. I'll give a couple good scoops and then tap the sides and bottom a little, just to settle it. Then gravity fill, tapping after each pinch. Works good enough for me.
That is my method (it does require a codger cut of course). I give it a bit of a push at the top, char it to heat and wilt the tobacco a bit then use a tamper to get the draw to my liking. Nothing worsens a smoke like a too tightly packed bowl.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
That is my method (it does require a codger cut of course). I give it a bit of a push at the top, char it to heat and wilt the tobacco a bit then use a tamper to get the draw to my liking. Nothing worsens a smoke like a too tightly packed bowl.

With SWR and Half & Half, I've found some success with a technique I used on ribbon-cut tobaccos in the past. Mr. Jansen of the long-gone tobacco shop on Chartres Street showed me. You take a pinch of the tobacco, probably more than you intend to smoke, and *twist* it gently into the bowl. Some will fall out; that's fine. Now press it down just a little with a finger so that the remaining mass won't fall out, but don't wedge it in tightly. Light, puff a bit, tamp, and relight.

I've been trying the gravity fill method to start, then adding more followed by a little pressure with a thumb, just a little. This works well with the codger blends. With EGR, which is ribbon cut, I twist a portion into the bowl as I mentioned in post 26, but again I don't press it down; that comes after I add a bit more. My smokes are lasting about the same amount of time as before -- but I need to relight less.

Top Bottom