What's new

How to prevent a Gillette Slim to become a gunky/rusty/oxidized/"Grünspan"ed...?

Hi,

how can I prevent a Gillette Slim to become one of those razors, which need to get a heavy restoration?
How can I prevent "Grünspan" (german for this greenish/blueish stuff of copper II acectat ( Cu(CH3COO)2 ) crawling
up from the inside to the outside and destroying the razor slowly but surely?

(I mean...beside the obvious: Keep it dry... ;) )

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Most of them have been in safe operation for 60 years, and I don’t think it requires too much thought.

Many people, including me, only occasionally clean with warm water + soap + toothbrush and inject a little mineral oil; some people even think that mineral oil is not necessary.

Gillette slim is as powerful as 007.

Hi Ers4!

:)

That are good news...!
I asked, because copper and therefore bronze also became "Grünspan"-ish by being exposed to air simply...think of
roofs made from copper (churches...).

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Hi Ers4!

:)

That are good news...!
I asked, because copper and therefore bronze also became "Grünspan"-ish by being exposed to air simply...think of
roofs made from copper (churches...).
Unless it loses a lot of coating, slim usually has a good appearance.

Moreover, the razor is an item used every day, and there is no long-term erosion by acid rain, so there will be no large amount of green oxidation.
Even if the green oxide appears, the initial adhesion is not high and it is easy to be removed; in addition, the green oxide has been confirmed by the Japanese medical community to be harmless to the human body, and it is even used as a traditional medicinal material in China.

lasta

Blade Biter
I've had one for 11 years. At least 7/8 it was my daily driver. Some edge plating loss when I got it, but haven't gotten worse since then. Never had any issues with things crawling out of it.

I've gotten an ultrasonic cleaner 2 years ago. Run every razor through maybe twice a year.

To my information copper II acetate is quite toxic, while copper oxide is not (it is an environmental poison, though).

I saw quite a few videos like "full restauration a Gillette adjustable" (example...no true title) and was a little
concerned how bad Gillette bronze based razors may become over time.

...my first Gillette Slim is still on the way to me...so I have NULL experience in this kind of topic...

But I am acting really professional in haveing concerns or fear about something and especially
in case when it is not needed... ;)

But I am quite confident now that is ok to act not so "professionally" when it comes to "My name is Slim...Gillette Slim" -
the agent with the license to shave.

And in this context it is quite a nice touch, that often time people prefer to use russian made blades with this (and other DE) razors - despite what cliches were used by the old Bond movies.... :)

Most of them have been in safe operation for 60 years, and I don’t think it requires too much thought.

Many people, including me, only occasionally clean with warm water + soap + toothbrush and inject a little mineral oil; some people even think that mineral oil is not necessary.

+1! Not to worry! Dawn detergent and warm water soaks from time to time. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The last Slim was made over 50 years ago. You can find them all day long in very good shape. So if you have one that is not currently “Grünspan” just think that it’s been used for the last 50+ years and is perfectly fine. I‘d bet if you never clean it a single time it will outlast you and be fine.

If you are worried scrub it with dish soap and a toothbrush every now and then.

These are calming news for me!
Thanks a lot, gentleman!
Additional good news:
According to the DHL parcel tracking, the delivery of the Gillette Slim I ordered from a seller at "Ebay.Kleinanzeigen.de"is announced for tommorow. :)
The most convincing argument to not to worry is from you shavethegray: The Slim I ordered is a J2 - born 1964 second quarter of that year...so it is a 64er, too... ;) :)

This forum is simply GREAT!

:thumbup1: We're gonna see pictures after arrival, right? :wink2:
Currently I am not at home and have no camera available here. Later, when I am back home...if you insist, I will do...normally I am not feeling that comfortable displaing things I own for the purpose to show them (hopefully this sentence make any sense at all...no native speaker....sigh).
If I reach for technical advice to fix things...that another thing.
Hopefully I won't need to fix anything. The seller wrote 'in excellent condition'...

Currently I am not at home and have no camera available here. Later, when I am back home...if you insist, I will do...normally I am not feeling that comfortable displaing things I own for the purpose to show them (hopefully this sentence make any sense at all...no native speaker....sigh).
If I reach for technical advice to fix things...that another thing.
Hopefully I won't need to fix anything. The seller wrote 'in excellent condition'...
Why do you feel uncomfortable when it comes to posting a photo of your razor ?

One of the reasons one joins such a forum is to share information, experience, photos etc

Last edited:
Since 27.12. the parcel with the Gillette Slim razor is stuck (probably got lost) at the DHL sorting center in Frankfurt. DHL parcle tracking does not change since then - no progress, no movement of the parcel. :crying:

The seller already contacted me.