What's new

How-to: Pre-Shave Prep

Kyle! My Man!! First you write your godsend to the newbies "What works for me"(now a sticky), and now this! As someone else said, I am speechless. It is obvious you spent a lot of time reserching this, and your writing-skills are nothing short of impressive!! If only I could write like this when I was in college! I am definitely gonna try out your method(like someone said: YOU own it now!). Thanks again for your dedication and your willingness to help others! One question: Why isn't this as sticky?:confused1 Thanks again Kyle! YOU ROCK! :cornut:

Kyle, Have you thought about giving up football and coaching shaving? :biggrin:

Brilliant work as always. Very impressive. Wonderful job, buddy. Your posts are always such a joy and a work of art fused with precise science. Outstanding.

Thank you Kyle, I know that my practice will change as a result of your article.

Personally, we have a stash of face cloths under the sink. I use a new one each day for my shave and then toss it in a little bin by the sink. They all get laundered by SWMBO. :001_wub: She suggests, I agree, that a damp towel is a great location for bugs to live, breed, etc. so I use a clean cloth each day.

The nicest cloths we have were from our wedding list (John Lewis £3 each, mixture of cotton, silk, and bamboo -- really soft) and are a little bigger than my beard area so are perfect for the purpose.

Great read, I'm about to go give it a shot.

One question though....After applying lather and before towel: While massaging the lather in should I use some Proroso pre on my fingers or just skip the pre altogether. I ask because I really enjoy the stuff:biggrin:

Kyle, Have you thought about giving up football and coaching shaving? :biggrin:

Brilliant work as always. Very impressive. Wonderful job, buddy. Your posts are always such a joy and a work of art fused with precise science. Outstanding.

Honestly, I believe that it is the teaching I do as a coach that has helped to improve my communication skills. In order for an athlete to perform well, there can be no confusion as to the technique you desire them to use.

To all of you gents, I again thank you for your very kind words. I am very pleased that this information is proving to be helpful.

Great read, I'm about to go give it a shot.

One question though....After applying lather and before towel: While massaging the lather in should I use some Proroso pre on my fingers or just skip the pre altogether. I ask because I really enjoy the stuff:biggrin:

When I use the pre, I apply it first and then proceed with lather, massage, and towel.

Kyle,

Would it be better to do this first "PreLather" with a stiff brush or maybe a boar to maximize the scrubbing potentional?

PS Kyle - I hope you realize I was kidding about your quitting coaching, it's just you're so good at shave instuction you could do it as well. And just so you know some of the good coaches I've had have been among my best teachers.

Kyle,

Would it be better to do this first "PreLather" with a stiff brush or maybe a boar to maximize the scrubbing potentional?

PS Kyle - I hope you realize I was kidding about your quitting coaching, it's just you're so good at shave instuction you could do it as well. And just so you know some of the good coaches I've had have been among my best teachers.

No worries, I recognized the intent of your comment, although if we have another couple seasons like this last one, I very well may be looking for a new job.:ohmy:

As far as your question goes, I don't know. I prefer and use a stiffer brush (PJ3) most of the time but haven't realized much difference in the pre-shave results when substituting with a softer brush.

Gentlemen,

First post, long time lurker. I've been wetshaving (can of goo, Mach 3) since I was 16 (24 now). I've never been able to get an irritation-free shave unless I grew my beard for about a week. If I push it, maybe I could shave twice a week.

I've been using a double-edge razor for about two months on and off now (Murkur HD). I've still been struggling with my neck during that time, having to, again, shave once or twice a week at most.

It's so frustrating to try and organise your week around when you can shave. It's actually come to that for me! That's so sad in a way. I have to look very unprofessional during the week for work and shave during the weekends.

Two days into Kyle's pre-shave advice, and I've had a virtually irritation-free shave. Fancy shaving two days in a row? It's unheard of for me! I've been using Proraso, a Personna blade, and Proraso pre/post.

Kyle, I can't tell you how happy I am (big grin on my face). Thank you for research.

Mark

Kyle,

Wow. Great info. Thanks.

What exactly do you do for those three minutes or so that you keep the hot towel on your face? Do you find a chair and lean back?

I suppose I can stand there in front of the mirror with one hand holding up the towel and admire my eyebrows, but it doesn't sound like the most interesting part of the shave.

Kyle,

Wow. Great info. Thanks.

What exactly do you do for those three minutes or so that you keep the hot towel on your face? Do you find a chair and lean back?

I suppose I can stand there in front of the mirror with one hand holding up the towel and admire my eyebrows, but it doesn't sound like the most interesting part of the shave.

I listen to the radio and decide what aftershave treatment and cologne I will finish the shave with, or sometimes I just relax and enjoy the fact that I get to pamper myself for another whole 3 minutes.:wink:

Kyle,

I just tried for technique for the first time in full and boy was I impressed! Wow! You've outdone yourself! Again!

I do have a question though, does this preshave prep affect a prepass application, ie Coral Skin Food, in any way, either positively or negatively?

I've not experimented with skin food so I can't help you there. I have done this with Proraso pre and while I'm not wholly convinced that the Proraso made a difference (besides the nice tingle), it certainly didn't hurt. I've also experimented with a couple of different pre-shave oils and actually found them to have negative effects (beard wasn't as softened and razor and brush got gunky). If you try the skin food, let me know how it goes.

No worries, I recognized the intent of your comment, although if we have another couple seasons like this last one, I very well may be looking for a new job.:ohmy:

Well, surely there's a Barber College somewhere that could use a new professor!

I just finished my first shave using this method, and I will definitely be doing this again.

My beard was definitely softer and easier to cut. Not dramatically, but I could tell the difference. I used a washcloth, not a towel, to cover my face, and it cooled off quickly. I re-wet it 3 or 4 times during the time I had it covering my face. I'm guessing a regular hand towel will hold the heat better.

My neck is a work-in-progress, but I was able to shave closer than usual, without really trying. There is some minor irritation on the neck, but that's normal for me, unfortunately, and usually when I shave this close on the neck, there's even more irritation.

I have one question about this method. How is rubbing the lather into you skin and then removing it with the wet towel different from washing your face in the shower. I mean, doesn't that get rid of the natural oils, etc mentioned in the step by step instruction as provided by Kyle in the original post?

Ian

Top Bottom