What's new

How-to: Pre-Shave Prep

Kyle,

What's your post-shave routine if you aren't showering before. Specifically, where do you insert your shower? Before or after the aftershave, etc.?

Good question. My routine typically follows this order:
  • Shave
  • Brush Teeth
  • Shower
  • Aftershave
  • Deodorant
  • Cologne

I'm assuming that you would put an alum block after the shave, but before the shower. And then after the shower is any combination of a normal aftershave routine. Right?

I don't care for the alum block and don't include it in my routine. Perhaps one of our other members could chime in on this one.

I'm assuming that you would put an alum block after the shave, but before the shower. And then after the shower is any combination of a normal aftershave routine. Right?

I used to use an alum block all over my face after every shave, I have since stopped. I do keep one around to stop a bleeding nick, but I find when used all over the skin after every shave all it does is increase redness and blotchiness. IMO Buy one, but only use it when and where you need it.

Excellent research Kyle, many thanks from this new member. I'll definitely be giving this a try (might have to get some new shave only towels if I want to stay married though).

David

Kyle... would a hot towel IN the shower work? I know that our gender isn't supposed to be able to multitask, but we've proved them wrong before.

OK, it's an older thread and I'm late in the game but I found your post highly informative, especially about hair's internal structure (one thing they don't talk much about in highschool biology).

My beard hair is tough as nails, especially on the neck (I only wish my skin were that tough sometimes). Being as you say alkalis like sodium hydroxide weaken hair, wouldn't it stand to reason a alkaline, mildly caustic soap like Ivory would soften the outer layer of the hairs? Of course depilliatories like Nair et al. really do a number on hair, but they are also very aggressively caustic and are usually too much to use on the face, which is a very sensitive bit of skin real estate. What is needed is a solution that is mildly caustic. I'm no expert but how do the various shaving soaps rank in terms of their pH?

I'll have to try the steaming hot towl routine though. Probably it'd be good to just plop down in front of the TV with a towel around my neck and sit for a few minutes at least before I shave. I'm not a daily showerer (I do clean up every day, just I don't shower every day- wash the armpits and other secluded areas in a birdy bath keeps body odors away until I shower) so I have been settling for splashing hot water on my face and neck prior to shaving for about a minute or so, and it is not cutting it.

This is the way my barber taught me and it is excellent. After the shower(go ahead and wash the face with ph nuetral soap) get mom's good hand towel wet and stick it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, the towel needs to be thoroughly wet but not dripping, while waiting on the towel, work up a good lather. When the towel is done wrap it over your face, this opens the pores of the skin so that the soap will get in there and lube the face and it does the same for the beard. When the towel cools warm it up again and repeat the process. After the second towel, lather the third time and go about the business of shaving.
This will enable you to shave smooooothly, without irritation, removing beard stubble and dead skin cells and even softening the skin of the face for those of the species that appreciate such things. This is pretty much the same thing thats been discussed, the primary difference being that I simply asked my barber instead of doing a doctoral thesis.

I just discovered this and think I'm probably in dire need of it! I tried using ahot towel before but I noticed that they cool off so quickly. Does anyone here actually use the barbershop towels for steaming? Do they hold the heat a lot longer? Is there a special method for keeping the towel on your face and neck other than laying down flat? I ditched the towel thing because I couldn't get it to stay on my face and cover my entire beard...

Another question for Kyle - you mention an olive oil soap for your face - is there a specific brand for that soap? My skin is oily by nature so is it bad to use an olive oil soap like that?

On the towel thing. I just fill the sink with a little really hot water. Dunk towel, squeeze carefully, apply towel for 20-30 seconds. Repeat.

I just discovered this and think I'm probably in dire need of it! I tried using ahot towel before but I noticed that they cool off so quickly. Does anyone here actually use the barbershop towels for steaming? Do they hold the heat a lot longer? Is there a special method for keeping the towel on your face and neck other than laying down flat? I ditched the towel thing because I couldn't get it to stay on my face and cover my entire beard...

Another question for Kyle - you mention an olive oil soap for your face - is there a specific brand for that soap? My skin is oily by nature so is it bad to use an olive oil soap like that?

The best towels for retaining heat will be densely woven (usually cost a bit more due to the higher quality). As far as application goes, I simply hold it on my face.

The best two olive oil soaps that I've used are Savon de Marseilles and the liquid Dr. Bronner's soaps. I can't imagine either of them being bad for an oily complexion.

Well I was just in the grocery store and bought some KMF Olive oil and Aloe soap, it's big and it's green.. With all the great reviews of other KMF products, I imagine this soap should be good too..

Well I was just in the grocery store and bought some KMF Olive oil and Aloe soap, it's big and it's green.. With all the great reviews of other KMF products, I imagine this soap should be good too..

It's not bad at all. I found it to be a bit more drying than the others I mentioned, but it is still a quality product.

Excellent post!!! Lots of good information. I've heard of the routine where you lather w/brushand fingers and apply a hot towel and then re-lather. My godfather was a barber and he used to do this for his customers. I've used that method with good results but i have never actually used a pre-shave cream or oil. Thanks for the info.

I haven't been able to shave much over the past several months, I was in a car accident that ripped up my face so I couldn't shave and had to grow a beard, after that my DE decided to break so I finally got in a good shave tonight and I used Kyle's PreShave prep, it was great; the quality of my shave was outstanding. I know this technique takes a few extra minutes, but they are well worth it. :thumbup1:

Indeed this is a great way to do things... For time's sake I usually just jump in the shower with some Proraso, cream, or conditioner on, but when I have the extra time I always use this method.

I'm actually on a quest now to find the "Ultimate Face Towel" for doing this... So far I just haven't been able to come up with anything that holds the heat the way I want it for the amount of time I want it, as well as enough weight to keep it planted well on my face, and of course allow me to breath...

I THINK I've come up with a solution, just have to get about doing it... There's a type of hand towel that I found that's pretty close... I'm thinking I'm going to try taking three of these puppies and sewing them together along with a hole toward the top in the center to allow my nose to poke through for easier breathing...

The three layers should trap the moisture/heat better, as well as the extra weight which should feel better...

With a drop of EO added to the water, I might just not ever want to take it off... :w00t:

This is by far the best pre shave routine I have tried. Although I am a beginner and my technique still requires improvement, the initial lather and removal with hot cloth gets me a much closer shave than simply applying a warm rag.

Top Bottom