How-to: Pre-Shave Prep

Discussion in 'Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In' started by Kyle, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Great article, thanks for sharing!

2. This is a fantastic thread! Thank you so much for your post! I will try this as soon as I have the time to! Some new info here that I had been missing out on. Again, thank you! I hope this is what I needed to bring my shaving to the next level.

3. alex2363

alex2363 Contributor

How was it?

4. Hi.
    Practically speaking, how do you guys do the three minutes with the towel? Do you lean back in a chair like at the barber's, or do you keep it pressed with your hands in front of the mirror?

5. +1: I'm wondering the same thing. Someone please shed some light.

6. Thanks for the advice on pre-shave prep. exactly why I joined.

7. googled this - figures I'd end up here as usual ;)

8. Three minutes with a towel is a lot. Research--much cited in B&B threads--shows that the beard reaches maximum softness with about three minutes of exposure to water, which includes washing and lathering your face. After a shower I--if there's time--do 30-60 seconds with a wash cloth, which I think is more for relaxation and the ritual rather than further beard softening or skin care. When I skip the wash cloth I don't notice any difference in the shave quality. YMMV.

9. Graybeard57

Graybeard57 Steward Contributor

Wow, you have done your homework, sir!

10. These days I just wash my face thoroughly for a couple of minutes. It seems to give the same result as when I did 10 minutes of prep.
    I do wonder if all this elaborate prep is papering-over technical issues with the actual shave. Back in the day not many men would do this kind of thing for their daily shave & for decades Gillette's own advice for a good shave was
    "after washing, lather for at least 2 minutes"
    or alternatively
    "wash your face with warm water & soap. Rinse & leave it wet. Lather up, wait a minute (for tough beards an extra minute) then start shaving."

11. Yes I also face lather & should have mentioned that.

12. It's difficult to compare enthusiast/hobbyist shaving with the workaday shaving of yore. We use different equipment, different supplies, and different techniques for different goals.

That said, I don't do a ton of prep either, only a couple easy quick things...and even when I skip it I can't really tell the difference so I'm not sure why I do it.

13. Great thread, I learned a lot. Bump.

14. Wow! Great thread. As a completely, 100% noob, this was very informative. Thanks!