What's new

How to polish a transparent handle ?

How can I polish a transparent brush handle ? Can I use BRASSO ?
Is it possible at all ?
I'd like to get rid of scratches and keep the transparency, but I'm afraid, that if I use BRASSO or fine Mesh, the handle will be dull.
Please help.

Plastic polish. May have to find it at an auto parts place. Micro mesh pads, up to 12k grit, wet sanded, can restore it too, but if it is just hazy & dull the polish should pop it right back out. I use it after micro mesh on acrylic pens/handles/etc. that I turn on the lathe.
$IMG_0470.jpg

what material is it made from? Acrylic? Lucite? another plastic? Glass?

Each material has its individual characteristics and maintenance requirements.
If you use the wrong chemical or abrasive, you could do some serious damage.

Even using the right method, there is only so much that can be done for scratches,
depending on how deep they are.

Post up some pics.

Plastic polish. May have to find it at an auto parts place. Micro mesh pads, up to 12k grit, wet sanded, can restore it too, but if it is just hazy & dull the polish should pop it right back out. I use it after micro mesh on acrylic pens/handles/etc. that I turn on the lathe.
Very nice. Looks like brand new :thumbup:

what material is it made from? Acrylic? Lucite? another plastic? Glass?

Each material has its individual characteristics and maintenance requirements.
If you use the wrong chemical or abrasive, you could do some serious damage.

Even using the right method, there is only so much that can be done for scratches,
depending on how deep they are.

Post up some pics.
I don't know, what it exactly is made of, but it looks like this:

proxy.php

View attachment 559595

+1 on everything bberg100 says. If/when sanding, all of the work removing deep(ish) scratches is done with your most coarse grit, each finer grit above that is for removing the sanding lines created by the previous abrasive.

But I would also suggest using a plastic polish first because you might find the end result is good enough!

Found these:

proxy.php

Description:
Bar none, this is the best plastic polish on the market. Whether it’s your turn signal lenses, center caps, brake lights, convertible top window or the clear plastic gauge cluster cover, Mothers® Plastic Polish will clean, shine and protect the clear stuff with crystal clarity. This is a true polish — you can buff out hairline scratches, smudges, flaws and little nicks, as well as clean away yellowing and stains from your plastic convertible window. Mothers® Plastic Polish doesn’t stop there — it protects your plastics from the sun, smog, water stains and airborne contaminants with a tough layer of polymers.

proxy.php

Description:

• Removes yellowing, matte areas and light scratches and, thus, provides clear headlight lenses; Improves the optics and, thus value retention of the vehicle;headlight; All-inclusive kit contains everything required for application.
  • Superior effect due to PDT (Plastic Deformation Technology).
  • Provides a durable protective layer.
  • Increases the safety during driving due to perfect light and, thus, improves vision and ___being seen".
  • Increases the resistance to scratches and yellowing.

It should work, specially the Mothers, or ... ?

You've gotten some good advice. I'd just add to to use products designed for polishing plastics or acrylics. Some chemicals can cause Lucite to craze (little cracks) which cause more work in the long run. I think Brasso contains ammonia which I wouldn't use on Lucite.
Good luck.

Top Bottom