What's new

How to nick yourself

After a wonderful shave yesterday, I tried just to equal it. I use regular glycerin as a pre shave -- a new idea for me, Proraso Green cream, and a 60's SS with a Dorco blade. I just started using Dorcos -- what an improvement for me over Merkur blades.

Today I included a long brush soak in hot water. I'm maybe 80% through the shave -- several WTG passes, and a few XTG passes on my neck. I'm almost done -- no nicks. Throw that styptic pencil away!

Then I place the razor mid neck for a quick WTG touch up. A cut I can feel. I try again. Same action produces same result. Feels very Sweeney Todd.

Finally, I check the razor: the razor had loosened very slightly, so the blade makes it _own_ shaving angle right into my skin.

I have always assumed without examining a DE razor closely that the blade is just held like the cross bar of a T at a right angle. That's not true -- the thin blade is tented up, yielding a downward cutting edge. That's crucial to a nick-free shave.

My new motto: Always keep your razor locked down.

Absolutely. I've noticed the same effect with some of my razors that don't tighten down as much as others (a couple of my Parkers) -- it can get awfully aggressive. Of course it works with the geometry of the head and the gap between the safety bar, moreso than many vintage Gillettes where the slope from the peak of the razor, through the gap, over the blade and down to the bar is a lot more continuous.

Best of luck with your nicks... hope they weren't too bad!

Absolutely. I've noticed the same effect with some of my razors that don't tighten down as much as others (a couple of my Parkers) -- it can get awfully aggressive. Of course it works with the geometry of the head and the gap between the safety bar, moreso than many vintage Gillettes where the slope from the peak of the razor, through the gap, over the blade and down to the bar is a lot more continuous.

Best of luck with your nicks... hope they weren't too bad!

I like your Avatar, I love a bottle of dog or 3.

I had a similar problem not too long ago. Decided on the 38C with a fresh Feather loaded the previous day, whipped up a hot bowl 'o lather, and proceeded to take off a rather large portion of my chin. The next few strokes left my skin feeling like I'd been attacked by a tiger with dull claws.

A quick check before I completely skinned myself refreshed my memory -- I'd loosened the head to rinse after the previous day's shave, and had neglected to tighten it back down. Now I know why flaying was such a popular torture... :cursing:

Hi. Newbie here...

Recently, while preparing for my first ever Feather blade shave (and what a shave it was) I noticed that it took a considerable amount of time to ensure that the blade was aligned correctly in the razor before giving the razor the final tightening. That is - both parallel to the razors leading edge and also that the same amount of blade was showing on both sides. If I wanted to I could have had the blade at quite a shocking (and no doubt face rearranging) angle and then tightened the whole lot up without realising. I have had this problem with other blades, but never to this extent. Considering that it was a Feather blade (aka the New Feature blade) I was rather shocked!

So, is it just me and my razor (a Merkur Classic - non HD) or does anyone else have this trouble??

It could be the reason for my last shave; Something I still find difficult to talk about without weeping with terror...

DEP

P.S. Thanks to you all for this super site!

Top Bottom