What's new

How to make your favorite Gin Martini

3 or 4 to 1. Dolan white vermouth. I am probably not that particular about the gin. Kirkland London Dry works. Bombay Sapphire. Beefeaters, but not Tanqueray, which I specifically like for G&Ts. Onion instead of olive or lemon peel. I know that makes it a Gibson. Stirred not shaken. Nick and Nora glass pre-chilled. Icy cold and drunk quickly.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm pretty much 3 or 4 to 1, myself. I really don't measure, so I cannot be precise. Perhaps I ought to, just so that I can tell others how I like it.

Dolin Blanc vermouth. I'll go with the Dry, if I must, but the Blanc is my thing.

The gin usually is either Beefeater or Hendrick's, depending on my mood.

Stirred, always stirred, and stirred until your fingers nearly freeze to the shaker--not just a token sloshing.

Typically three olives for a garnish. When I'm at home, however, it's almost always one jalapeno-stuffed olive. If I'm at a place that has crappy olives, I'll take a twist (or just pass in the first place).

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Dolin Blanc is actually sweet, right?

It is, strictly speaking, but it is not as sweet as the Rouge or other sweet vermouths. I quite like how it blends with gin. My favorite was the Noilly Prat Original Dry, but I cannot find that any longer. The Dolin Blanc has served decently as a substitute.

3 measures of vodka stirred in a shaker rinsed with NP OD vermouth (tip measure of the vermouth into empty shaker, swirl and tip out. Then add ice and booze)

Works with gin too...or so I’m told.

And garnish with 3 stuffed olives.

I am less particular about the Vermouth but usually use Noilly Pratt. I prefer Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray Gin with a ration of 6 to 1. I place the ingredients in a tall glass pitcher that has some ice in it. I stir the ingredients with a glass rod and put the Martini in a chilled Martini glass. An olive garnish - and enjoy.

I prefer a Churchill Martini. Pour yourself a glass of gin (has to be Plymouth) and then look at a bottle of vermouth from across the room while sipping the gin. :)

I prefer Gordon's gin for a martini. I don't like a lot of botanicals in that drink. Fine for a gin & tonic, but not a martini. I use Martini & Rossi Dry, about 3 to 1. I make it at home in a rocks glass, stirred. 3 Olives. Has to be martini olives. Those are soaked in vermouth, and it makes a difference. I also like to add a tsp of the olive juice.

<I also like to add a tsp of the olive juice.>

Ahh! The "dirty" martini. I used to add some olive juice, but have decided I do not like that addition. I suppose another question would whether one strings their olives or onions along a toothpick or spear. No preference here.

Top Bottom