What's new

How to make the most of my first DE shave?

Hi everyone, I am wondering what I can do to get through my first DE shave with as little problems as possible! I know since it's my first it will definitely not be perfect, I am just wondering if you guys have a few tips for my first time.

I have a 1950s Gillette Super Speed razor, Astra blades, Stirling badger brush, Stirling shave soap, Stirling post shave balm, and alum.

Thanks!!

Welcome.

I suggest you do one or two passes with the grain (WTG), or in the direction of beard stubble growth, and then a little touch up to get anything major you might have missed. That's all. Keep it to a minimum. Don't chase BBS, don't even chase DFS. Just seek a comfortable, irritation and nick free shave.

Then repeat tomorrow.

Yeah, dont try against the grain until you find angle.
I prefer to take a bath and soak the beard well, that helps alot.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

You are starting out with good hardware and software so concentrate on technique. Go slow and don't use any pressure on the razor.

IMO the main thing is to recognize that DE is a skill that takes awhile to develop.

Read through the WiKi for some great tips!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Take your time and enjoy the process. Don’t be despondent if you leave some stubble the first time around. Remember it is gradual beard reduction over a couple of passes. You could watch some YouTube videos to give you some tips.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
You are starting out with good hardware and software so concentrate on technique. Go slow and don't use any pressure on the razor.

☝ +1 The hardest thing for me to learn and I mean really learn, was the above. NO PRESSURE ON THE RAZOR. I didn't fully understand what that meant for a really long time...and I suppose I didn't truly understand it until I became proficient with a straight razor.

I assume you are coming from the experience of using modern disposables? That being the case it is important to consider that this has in all liklihood, left you with some habits that will need to be broken. No pressure being one, but blade angle is another culprit. Once you figure out those two you'll be well on your way to some really excellent shaves!

I suggest you do one or two passes with the grain (WTG), or in the direction of beard stubble growth, and then a little touch up to get anything major you might have missed. That's all. Keep it to a minimum. Don't chase BBS, don't even chase DFS. Just seek a comfortable, irritation and nick free shave.

Then repeat tomorrow.

I think this is the most important thing. You will get into the excitement of the shave, think to yourself.... Just one more pass to clean things up.... One more pass, I am getting the hang of this..... One more pass, this time I know the right angle..... This happened to me, a 10 pass 1st shave :scared:.

I knew better, but I really wanted a DFS minimum. My face burned for a day or so. Weepers galore. I learned and set a strict 2 pass max and that served me well.

Little steps will get you to where you want to go, just takes a wee bit longer, but it makes the journey so much better!

hAve A greAt one!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Here's my standard advice, in the first four posts of this thread...

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Have you done that first shave yet?

It's not about being perfect on the first try. You need to establish a baseline to improve. Just grab your razor and start shaving.

It’s a learning process, so don’t expect a perfect shave at first. Read a lot, including the Wanderers Guide link above. Don’t apply pressure. And most importantly, enjoy!

Please tell us how you’re doing. We were all new at shaving a one time.

Hi everyone thanks for the good advice! I have shaved about 3 times now, and it went well. 2 or 3 passes each time. No cuts or nicks. Not as close a shave as I would have liked, but based on what you all have said I just need to develop the right technique. Also I am very shocked I had no cuts or nicks. Are Super Speed razors generally pretty mild?

Hi everyone thanks for the good advice! I have shaved about 3 times now, and it went well. 2 or 3 passes each time. No cuts or nicks.

Outstanding Job! The shaves will get closer and smooth as you get more practice. Slow and steady will get it done.

Have a Great One Everyone!

Yes, Super Speeds are known as mild razors. Learn how to stretch your skin to straighten a path for the razor.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Don't change too many things at once or you risk introducing too many variables. If you've never lathered a shaving soap before, it would be a bad time to start learning all the while you are also new to shaving with a double edge razor. Introduce one thing at a time until you are reasonably proficient.

Hi everyone thanks for the good advice! I have shaved about 3 times now, and it went well. 2 or 3 passes each time. No cuts or nicks. Not as close a shave as I would have liked, but based on what you all have said I just need to develop the right technique. Also I am very shocked I had no cuts or nicks. Are Super Speed razors generally pretty mild?

Are you only doing WTG passes, or the "standard" trio (WTG - XTG - ATG)?

With WTG, you will mow some growth down, but it really takes all three passes to get a really close shave.

If you map the hair on your face (just run your fingers over it and see which way the hairs feel more prickly on diffrent parts of the face and throat) you will see that it grows in different directions. What may work for your chin will not be as close of a shave for your throat. All three passes and some cleanup are required to get a BBS quality shave. Also, it helps to develop a consistent routine, even a ritual. When you shave the same way for weeks, you start noticing the pattern of what parts of your face need different angle or more attention. I always do WTG, then XTG, then ATG, always starting on the left side, face then throat, and finishing on the right side. For me, the efficiency of the shave is like 10% WTG - 30% XTG - 60% ATG.

You have a perfect kit to grow into, I love Astra blades, and your Super Speed is - I believe - the inspiration for Baili TTO, which is perfectly capable of producing a BBS grade shave with little effort. Just keep on shaving, you'll get progressively better.

I have tried doing all three passes, though there are still places where I can't seem to shave it close enough, e. g. a small section of my sideburns. And for sure I have noticed how it grows in all different directions, especially along my jawline!

Top Bottom