What's new

How to make great lather from a soap ~ Tutorial

I've never been much of soap shaver, always gravitating towards creams. Over 95% of my shaves have been with a cream. The main reason for this, is I've never been able to get a decent lather from a soap, it was watery thin and never gave my any decent protection or glide. I secretly thought those who preferred soap over cream were insane. :biggrin: After more time, I'd found some relief lathering on my face, which gave me richer, more cream-like lather.

Then the other night, I pulled out my tub of QED Wild Rose and followed these instructions exactly. Wow, I was amazed! Some of the thickest richest lather, I've ever used. The lather was simply jumping out of my lather bowl, now take into consideration my lather bowl is 5 inches deep and 8 inches wide, that takes some serious lather! :biggrin:

Guys, please if you are having problems with soap lather, Please, Please, Please try this method, it will change the quality of your shaves and can redefine your opinions on soap, I guarantee it!

This is indeed a sweet tutorial, very informative and great pics.

What kind of brush was being used for this, anyone know?

This is indeed a sweet tutorial, very informative and great pics.

What kind of brush was being used for this, anyone know?

I'm not sure about the pictures, but I used a C&E best and a Shavemac badger (nothing fancy) while testing. Both worked fine.

That a Rooney-mac or a Mac-a-Rooney, a small Rooney with a Shavemac hair style in silvertip.

Its a nice brush.:001_wub:

This method is not reliant on a specific brush type,any brush you can "load" will work.

:confused: Which one/s confused you?

All of them.

No, sorry, imprecise in my original wording - probably should have posted "I couldn't tell you what was used in the pictures". Then again I'm not much of a brush maven so if I can't see the label then I'm out of luck.

That a Rooney-mac or a Mac-a-Rooney, a small Rooney with a Shavemac hair style in silvertip.

Its a nice brush.:001_wub:

This method is not reliant on a specific brush type,any brush you can "load" will work.

Thanks for letting me know. I’m not sure why, but when I see pictures of brushes, I always like to know what kind they are. I’m a brush voyeur. :biggrin:

C

copilots

How much water is needed to make that much amount of lather? I'm get a lather, but i don't have it globbing out of the bowl. So am i not using enough water? Thanks

How much water is needed to make that much amount of lather? I'm get a lather, but i don't have it globbing out of the bowl. So am i not using enough water? Thanks

How much water really depends on so many variables, the soap, the brush, water quality, etc that it's just impossible to answer that question... However... As water is added to the mix, the lather will volumize more and more... More water = more volume = more lather.... BUT, as I'm sure your aware, it's easy to get too much water and once you do, you lose a lot of the slickness of the lather... In fact, too much water can actually make it almost "sticky".

How much water really depends on so many variables, the soap, the brush, water quality, etc that it's just impossible to answer that question... However... As water is added to the mix, the lather will volumize more and more... More water = more volume = more lather.... BUT, as I'm sure your aware, it's easy to get too much water and once you do, you lose a lot of the slickness of the lather... In fact, too much water can actually make it almost "sticky".

Quite right! almost invariably the issue is not loading the brush enough, adding water a few drips at a time will get you to some great lather.

Practice making lather when you are not shaving to get the feel for it.

I tried this for the past few days, and I've gone from a skeptic to a believer. I'm still working on getting enough great lather for all 4 passes without having to go back to the soap bowl, but I'm really close.

Still I have a nagging question: Doesn't this method seem awfully hard on the brush? It seems that the bristles take sort of a beating while they are being squished around over the relatively dry soap. Do you think this method will significantly reduce the life of a brush?

Brian
Congratulations on your success with soaps, Using your brush will not harm it.
Let it dry thoroughly between uses, and it will last for decades.

Having a second brush to rotate with will extend the life even further.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I tried this for the past few days, and I've gone from a skeptic to a believer. I'm still working on getting enough great lather for all 4 passes without having to go back to the soap bowl, but I'm really close.

Still I have a nagging question: Doesn't this method seem awfully hard on the brush? It seems that the bristles take sort of a beating while they are being squished around over the relatively dry soap. Do you think this method will significantly reduce the life of a brush?

The instructions say 'light to medium pressure' so that should not be a problem. And after all, badger bristles tend to be pretty tough ... just like the ornery critters they're shorn from! :w00t:

Once again the members here have delivered some excellent information. Like many who posted on this thread, I've struggled with soaps to the point that I had been relying on creams almost exclusively. This technique worked superbly for me and has instantly brought soaps back in to my rotation.

Great instructions, wonderful pictures, and an easy to follow recipe for success.

Great work gentlemen!

Thank you - I have had trouble getting consistency with Soap as I would with cream. I will attempt this method and see where it takes me. I have three mama bear soaps coming - I am ready to rock.

Top Bottom