What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

If you guys are worried about moisture in the can, you can always poke some small holes on the top around the slot... it will let evaporation happen easier, and the blades won't come out the small holes. (should keep from any smell as any liquids will evaporate easier)

Another great idea! Perhaps we should put a design team together and start making these things for profit.....:biggrin:

Ok I know......*walks away*

I've been using a Fisherman's Friend tin which is exactly the same as an Altoid tin. Almost 2 years and that tin is not full yet. This is temporary though, until I get a real blade safe or make one from a small soup can so that I can dispose of it properly.

I use an empty Altoid box. Fairly small,when ready to discard, I seal with tape.

That's what I did too. Mine, was the Altoids mints one. (the larger of the two) The other one is smaller, and narrower. My Altoids tin lasted two years. (Thanks _JP_ for the suggestion.)

Now, I'm using a can of soup that I just started. I printed a "label", made out of copy paper for it on my inkjet. Just know, if a wet finger comes in contact with the ink on the paper, it (the printed image) may smudge. I wasn't happy about it, when it did. YMMV, as always.

We seem to eat a lot of tuna, and we have a can opener that cuts the crimp seal (no sharp edges). The can can be washed and dried. I cut the slot in the lid with an old bunged up wood chisel, and then super glue (CA) the lid back on the can. It still has the tuna label (rather tasteless . . . don't you think?).:biggrin:

I took your advice, but with a bit of a twist. I made the blade bank as described, but covered it with chia-pet seeds. Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll have a Chia-Blade Bank:clap:! I'll post pics if it works!

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the tip I made one last week but it cost me a whopping 68c

I guess do to inflation but it came out great :biggrin:

What a great idea, cheap, holds 4 times the blades that those $1.00 blade banks will and hey, you can express your artistic side as well. Good Job indeed!

J

Jarmo P

I have a really attractive box that is also intended with figures, that contained originally Underberg digestive bottles, like this one in the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Underberg_12x20ml.jpg

Mine is the 2000 World Exhibition model version. I made a slot on top lid to drop DE blades inside.
It is also for life for 2 reason. 1. it is quite big, about half litre, 2. the lid can be opened and the blades recycled if it for somehow would get filled in a few decades. I am 50 years old now.

Jarmo

I love to make things, and I love to do it as inexpensively as possible, whenever I can. I followed your example and made my own blade bank. Someone else above suggested painting it to resemble a barber pole, so I did that also. I also made one additional modification to my blade bank through necessity. One of my razors in the rotation is a Gillette Trac II that is a family heirloom because it was owned and used by my late brother. With grandkids into everything in the house, I didn't want to be throwing the used cartridges in the trash, so I (very gently - too much down force on the drill would have destroyed the top of my blade bank) drilled a hole sized just a tiny bit larger than a Trac II cartridge in the top of the bank, just next to the slot I had cut, and it works perfectly. Now I dispose of my single edge and double edge blades, and my Trac II cartridges in one simple step. I love this thing. Thank you for this cool idea! Have a great day!

This is a totally great idea! I've been looking for something like this for a couple weeks. I lucked out when I fisrt started all this madness. My apartment building was so old there was a blade safe built into the medicine cabinet! This will be perfect for the my new place.

Nice, I use an old Altoid tin that I duct-taped shut and cut a blade slot in the side with a dremel. It keeps the blades away from the wife & kids and the idea is to loosen the duct tape and dump it in something secure in the outside trash when full (then reuse it). So it's small & reusable, not presentable in the least, and doesn't protect anyone going through trash with their hands at the landfill.

I do too now, but for quite some time these slots disappeared (like the Feather blade magazines). Now those slots have come back in the Feather magazines, so I very recently stopped using the bank.

True, but the blades I have had do. My first order of Feathers did not have the disposal slot in the magazine, but now they do. Other members have discussed how their favorite blades have recently (?) added the slot. I have been very satisfied with Feathers, so I use no other blades. Now I am using a str8 more and more, but I will always have DE shaving as a backup.

Top Bottom