What's new

How To Load A Sedef - Tutorial (with pics)

Hi everyone!

Well I rather unusually got a couple of PMs on here today asking me if I had ever figured out how to load my Sedef shavette-style razor.
I was taking some pictures anyway so I figured I may as well make a picture tutorial. I must also add a thank you to Gunky (... I believe, it was a while ago and please correct me if I'm mistaken) who taught me how to load mine in the first place. I have no idea if this is the best way to do it but it's the only way I know.

However to summarize the tutorial:
Q. How do I load a Sedef?
A. VERY, very carefully!

Now onto the tutorial:
proxy.php

I should note that I find this loading and unloading process quite tricky and also more than a little dangerous.
For that reason I prefer to I use my Dovo shavette instead but my Sedef has emotional sentiment attached to it as it was a gift so I keep it anyway.

I purchased one exacly like tha a while ago.
I found it to be too dangerous to load and unload so it ended up in the garbage.

Reactions: abj
Thanks for the tutorial. I think you had also posted that the barbers you work with run something through the razor to make it easier to load the blade. I did that repeatedly with the thin smooth tip of a nail file and found that it did indeed help.

Yup I sure did!
They ran a thin flat blade along through it or sometimes a pin.
Glad it helped you!

Thanks for the tutorial. I think you had also posted that the barbers you work with run something through the razor to make it easier to load the blade. I did that repeatedly with the thin smooth tip of a nail file and found that it did indeed help.

i currently use sedef shavette and that's my only shavette/str8.
loading the blade has never been a problem as i load the blade by pushing the shavette to the wall:)

Got a Sedef today, and I managed to load a Feather Artist Club blade using a metal nailfile to get the blade exposure even (use anything that can fit underneath the blade and pry it up). Haven't tried shaving with it yet. Anyone else tried Sedefs with non-DE blades?

Got a Sedef today, and I managed to load a Feather Artist Club blade using a metal nailfile to get the blade exposure even (use anything that can fit underneath the blade and pry it up). Haven't tried shaving with it yet. Anyone else tried Sedefs with non-DE blades?

Oh baby, I bet that'll give a nice shave indeed! I love using Feather blades in shavettes.

Yup, just had a fantastic two-pass shave using Schick Proline P blades in a red-handled Sedef (which I gave an aggressive blade exposure) and a white-handled Sedef (mild exposure).

The Sedef has such a long head that I'm still wondering what sort of blade it was originally designed for. Some sort of hair-shaper blade, I suppose.

i currently use sedef shavette and that's my only shavette/str8.
loading the blade has never been a problem as i load the blade by pushing the shavette to the wall:)
It is my favourite shavette and the only one i would use.I love the way you can lay it almost flat when going against the grain,very light.Just a super razor.Easy to remove the end tabs and load after a few goes.

Yup, just had a fantastic two-pass shave using Schick Proline P blades in a red-handled Sedef (which I gave an aggressive blade exposure) and a white-handled Sedef (mild exposure).
Wait wait wait ... are you saying that the color of the Sedef means something? If so, which do you think is the mildest and which is most aggressive?

Warning: ancient thread resurrection.

If you look at the picture in the first post of this thread, the OP recommends cutting the ends of the blade off to make it easier to load. That's how I've been doing it till today, and while the OP's technique worked, it was finicky to load a blade.

Today, I got lazy and tried to load a split blade without cutting off the ends, and it was so much easier than the OP's method. To those of you who are having trouble loading a Sedef, try it with an unmodified half-DE blade.
proxy.php

Top Bottom