What's new

How to learn about colognes?

I'm pretty new to this group. I've have pretty sensitive skin and I'm looking for a way to learn about what colognes are out there for people like me. I don't want to spend a lot of money and learn by trial and error. Any good links to resourses/guides?

Scents are incredibly personal. Your best bet is to get samples to try. Most of the vendors will send you stuff if asked, plus you can hunt around here and basenotes.net to try stuff out.

I am in the same boat as you trying to learn about colognes. I have never been a cologne guy but I'm doing my best to figure out what I like and don't like.

I've read all the reviews here and have been following the threads in the cologne forum. Then I went to a Nordstroms that carries a lot of the scents so I could sample them. It's going to take time for me to find out what I like and why, plus it's going to take time for me to remember what is what. There certainly is a variety of scents out there.

No rush though and it has been a fun learning experience. Just another enjoyable aspect of shaving and the morning routine.

Jim and Scotto are right. I ordered a Penhaligon's sampler a while back and found that the things I smelled were completely different from what a lot of other people smelled. Best to try stuff on your skin to see how you react. =)

I would highly recommend trying samples first. Someone's treasure is someone elses junk. You can also follow the lead from some of our more refined gents like Ron, Scotto, Rik, HLSheppard, etc. They have fine noses for great smelling products.

Austin said:
I would highly recommend trying samples first. Someone's treasure is someone elses junk. You can also follow the lead from some of our more refined gents like Ron, Scotto, Rik, HLSheppard, etc. They have fine noses for great smelling products.

I second this - have ordered samples from Scotto, have some coming from Rik and have gotten free samples from various manufacturers.

If you're not sure what scents you like (I realize that you are also concerned about skin irritation), you might want to go to a natural products store that sells a variety of essential oils - usually they have sample/tester vials for you to smell and this will give you what types of smells you like. Obviously, different products smell differently on different people so you will have to take the plunge at some point and try something on.

Basenotes is a great resource for figuring out what products you might like - once you have a sese of what scents you like.

Have you had problems with reactions to colognes before, and if so, do you know what caused it? As you may be allergic to something in most commercial colognes.

Just order a Czech & Speake 88 decant....

All of your cologne discovery endeavors will come to a blissful end... in paradise, nonetheless.

Aside from ordering or requesting samples, is in-store sampling if you are fortunate to be close enough to a store that stocks the upper-end colognes.

I would recommend the following method.

Find out if you like floral, herbal or spicy scents and then focus on sampling those that fit your preference.

Sample essential oils from a nearby health food store. Once you know your essential oils likes, you can read cologne composition descriptions to better help you make decisions or at least, educated guesses.

After doing all of the above, order a full bottle of Czech & Speake 88 and give all of your obtained samples away.

-joedy

ps. Did I happen to mention that I am enamored with the Czech & Speake 88 fragrance? :tongue_sm

crispy said:
Jim and Scotto are right. I ordered a Penhaligon's sampler a while back and found that the things I smelled were completely different from what a lot of other people smelled. Best to try stuff on your skin to see how you react. =)

Can you choose what you want in it, or do they just give you their pre-defined set for $40 or whatever? 3/4 in their sampler were things I didn't want, and they haven't responded to my request for samples.

Wow,

I'm impressed at how fast you guys reply and the great insight you've given. I think I'm going to try to find some stores that I can visit. Does anyone in the NorthEast (Near Boston) know of any good stores?

russellnyc said:
...3/4 in their sampler were things I didn't want, and they haven't responded to my request for samples.

Call their toll free number and request your specific samples. You should get them in the mail within three days then.

-joedy

Joedy said:
Find out if you like floral, herbal or spicy scents and then focus on sampling those that fit your preference.

Hmm.... Sounds like a good plan. Although, based on samples from Scotto, my favorites so far are Musgo Real #2 Oak Moss, L'Occitane Vetyver, Trumper Wild Fern, D&G. More or less, but not necessarily in that order. At the moment.

What of the above categories would you put those in?

PS - Still trying to come to terms with QED B&B. Wow..... Powerful stuff. A little sweeter than I might prefer, but sort of amazing too.

Top Bottom