What's new

How to Lather Pre de Provence No. 63

I lather both PdP soaps the same way I lather others - load a damp brush and lather in a lather bowl, adding small amounts of water along the way as or if needed.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I was surprised at how easy it was to build some first-class lather, never having used a hard-milled soap before.

I just gently loaded up for 20-30 seconds with a damp synth brush, then built a nice mound of lather in my bowl, adding a little water here and there as I went. That's it. No sweat at all. Just plenty of aromatic lather for a tip-top shave.

*Update*

Thank you to everyone who offered some advice. I incorporated some of the principles from the advice and have found the optimal way for me to build a lather with the PdP No. 63.

As usual, I begin by soaking my brush in some warm water while I shower.

I also bloom the PdP. But since the puck is much smaller than the tin in which it is packaged, I grabbed an aluminum foil individual sized pie tin and filled the bottom with some warm water. Next, I place the puck upside down in the water, while I shower.

After showering, I squeeze my brush to render it merely damp, instead of wet. I then pick up the soap and load the wet side onto the brush for a good 30 seconds.

Setting the soap and brush down briefly, I'll apply some of the bloom water to my face as a preshave.

I'll then begin building a proto-lather in my bowl, adding some of the soapy bloom water, as needed.

Next, I rub some more bloom water on my face before applying the brush to my face to build a lather, again, I add bloom water as needed.

*Update*

Thank you to everyone who offered some advice. I incorporated some of the principles from the advice and have found the optimal way for me to build a lather with the PdP No. 63.

As usual, I begin by soaking my brush in some warm water while I shower.

I also bloom the PdP. But since the puck is much smaller than the tin in which it is packaged, I grabbed an aluminum foil individual sized pie tin and filled the bottom with some warm water. Next, I place the puck upside down in the water, while I shower.

After showering, I squeeze my brush to render it merely damp, instead of wet. I then pick up the soap and load the wet side onto the brush for a good 30 seconds.

Setting the soap and brush down briefly, I'll apply some of the bloom water to my face as a preshave.

I'll then begin building a proto-lather in my bowl, adding some of the soapy bloom water, as needed.

Next, I rub some more bloom water on my face before applying the brush to my face to build a lather, again, I add bloom water as needed.
So now that you have used PDP what is your impression of it?

I used PDP 63 yesterday, soap balm and EDT. I was snuggling with my wife afterwards and she said "This smells so good, why do you even use the other stuff?" I didn't have a answer for her. Perhaps I should dump all my other software?
Tell her it's like with [insert the name of her favorite meal]. If she has it all the time, she won't like it anymore. So to keep her happy, you'll wear the PdP 63 on special occasions, or, at a minimum, in a rotation. 😁

I know that this is an old threat, but I thought that I would add that I have found Pdp No 63 to be super easy to lather. Here's what I do.
  • Soak brush in shaving bowl while I shower.
  • After shower, take brush out of the shaving bowl and stand on its handle for a minute or two while I get my gear in order. (But I don't shake any water out.)
  • I then hold the tin with the soap over my shaving bowl with it tilted north-south and I load the brush for about 30 seconds. Yes, this means that some lather will fall into the bowl.
  • I then go to the bowl and within a minute I'll have a lovely shave ready lather.
Despite being a hard soap, it lathers very easy!

Thanks to the recent Amazon sale, I bought my first puck of Pre de Provence No. 63. I haven't tried it yet because I'm not sure how to lather it. Since it's quad milled, I assumed blooming it would be helpful (if not necessary). But since the soap puck is smaller than the tin, I suspect watering the soap will only make it float and possibly bloom the bottom (and sides) of the soap.

Should I make a lather by picking up the soap and attacking the bottom of the puck with my brush?

Should I take the puck out of the tin and put it in a smaller container that can keep the water on top of the puck?

How exactly do the more experiences users build a lather with this soap?

Thanks in advance!

Their shaving soap is triple milled, it’s their bath soap that comes in a 200g square block that’s quad milled.

Top Bottom