What's new

How to lather: Mitchells Wool Fat or Kent Soap

First, your English is better than my Spanish, and I lived in Barcelona for a year. Second, this is a wonderfully written and highly informative article on how to deal with a product that, for many, is a problem. Once your get it to lather right, it is one of the best soaps on the planet, however.

IMO, If a soap needs a tutorial to lather it, then it is not a good soap. I currently own over 12 soaps and MWF is the worst one I own. In fact, I think it is pure junk. Most people hate olive oil based soaps because olive oil is supposed to be a lather killer, but they try the impossible to fall in love with MWF. The lather is slick, but dissapears in my scuttle. This tutorial is done with a regular bowl, but I dare anybody to make a "video" tutorial of how to lather MWF in a scuttle and have the lather remain in the bowl for more than 5 minutes. I don't understand why wetshavers try so hard to love this soap when there are so many better soaps that are cheaper, smell better, and perform better than MWF. IMHO, it is total crap.

Excellent write up!

IMO, If a soap needs a tutorial to lather it, then it is not a good soap. I currently own over 12 soaps and MWF is the worst one I own. In fact, I think it is pure junk. Most people hate olive oil based soaps because olive oil is supposed to be a lather killer, but they try the impossible to fall in love with MWF. The lather is slick, but dissapears in my scuttle. This tutorial is done with a regular bowl, but I dare anybody to make a "video" tutorial of how to lather MWF in a scuttle and have the lather remain in the bowl for more than 5 minutes. I don't understand why wetshavers try so hard to love this soap when there are so many better soaps that are cheaper, smell better, and perform better than MWF. IMHO, it is total crap.

Anything can benefit from a tutorial when being attempted by an inexperienced person. I've probably owned somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 soaps and while I do agree with you that there are better soaps out there I can and often do get great lather from MWF and it doesn't disappear.

I say kudos to the op for putting this tutorial together and don't worry about your English, you did a fine job.

Last edited:
Excellent write up!

Anything can benefit from a tutorial when being attempted by an inexperienced person. I've probably owned somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 soaps and while I do agree with you that there are better soaps out there I can and often do get great lather from MWF and it doesn't disappear.

I say kudos to the op for putting this tutorial together and don't worry about your English, you did a fine job.

I agree that anything can benefit from a tutorial. But have you ever seen a tutorial on 'how to build a lather with Penhaligon's English Fern" or "how to build a lather with old spice"? A general tutorial on "how to build a lather with a shaving soap" would be rather informative, but when the tutorial is based on specific soap, then that would suggest that people in general are having problems with that specific product. And IMO, would indicate a problem with that product. If I made a home made shaving soap which was olive oil based and made a tutorial on how to lather it with success, would it make my soap a legendary soap? MWF is junk IMO (YMMV, of course), and I can't see the following it attracts. There are much better soaps which smell better and perform much better. I would love to see a video demonstration of your MWF lather in a hot scuttle where the lather doesn't dissapear.

Tony, I see your point. MWF is fickle for some and probably why it gets specific pointers/tutorials around here. That said, legends aren't made in the shave world off of hearsay and tutorials. Somewhere along the way long before either you or I (or anyone on here) were shaving MWF was proven. I do agree with you that there are better soaps out there. Penhaligon's (as you mentioned) being one of them. That said, there are also countless other soaps out there that don't perform nearly as well as MWF.

Tony, I see your point. MWF is fickle for some and probably why it gets specific pointers/tutorials around here. That said, legends aren't made in the shave world off of hearsay and tutorials. Somewhere along the way long before either you or I (or anyone on here) were shaving MWF was proven. I do agree with you that there are better soaps out there. Penhaligon's (as you mentioned) being one of them. That said, there are also countless other soaps out there that don't perform nearly as well as MWF.

Well said. I still think MWF is junk though :lol::lol::lol:

If you don't like MWF and you prefer other soaps you are right. My tutorial is not needed for experts wetshavers, as you. I only try to give help to those that have trouble with the lather of MWF. I have experienced the same disappointment as you with the MWF lather in the past, but, with the help of some experienced wetshavers, I have been able to make great lather with this soap, and once I have tried this lather I can leave it, it's the most comfortable lather for me. YMMV of course

The most important feature of MWF is the lanolin, the oil extracted from the wool with pressure and heat, but the lanolin melts at 41º C, in this way you have to be careful with the hot water . That happens with some emulsions, the temperature is critical to keep the fat solid or creamy.

It's up to you, you can use other soaps that give lather whitout care. The MWF is great for sensitive skin, I use often to prevent irritation . I prefer the benefits of the lanolin in my shave than the hot lather, give it a try with lukewarm water.

Last edited:
It's up to you, you can use other soaps that give lather whitout care. The MWF is great for sensitive skin, I use often to prevent irritation . I prefer the benefits of the lanolin in my shave than the hot lather, give it a try with lukewarm water.

I also prefer the lanolin over hot lather. I set my water temp to 39 degrees C and MWF gives me the best shaves and skincare ever!

Although I have narrowed my soaps to 6 of my favourites, I use MWF 5 out of 7 shaves!

If you don't like MWF and you prefer other soaps you are right. My tutorial is not needed for experts wetshavers, as you. I only try to give help to those that have trouble with the lather of MWF. I have experienced the same disappointment as you with the MWF lather in the past, but, with the help of some experienced wetshavers, I have been able to make great lather with this soap, and once I have tried this lather I can leave it, it's the most comfortable lather for me. YMMV of course

The most important feature of MWF is the lanolin, the oil extracted from the wool with pressure and heat, but the lanolin melts at 41º C, in this way you have to be careful with the hot water . That happens with some emulsions, the temperature is critical to keep the fat solid or creamy.

Very well said! :thumbup1:

I would love to see a video demonstration of your MWF lather in a hot scuttle where the lather doesn't dissapear.

It probably won't happen. I used MWF last night w/ just tap water in my scuttle. It worked out ok, but I've used boiling water in it before and it disappeared. I've had the same problem w/ Tabac and Speick in a hot scuttle. When I use those soaps I just keep the scuttle warm enough to keep the lather warmer than body temperature. It kind of sucks using a scuttle that way, but it's better than room temperature, but not nearly as nice as warm lather. However, it all beats goo in a can.

It probably won't happen. I used MWF last night w/ just tap water in my scuttle. It worked out ok, but I've used boiling water in it before and it disappeared. I've had the same problem w/ Tabac and Speick in a hot scuttle. When I use those soaps I just keep the scuttle warm enough to keep the lather warmer than body temperature. It kind of sucks using a scuttle that way, but it's better than room temperature, but not nearly as nice as warm lather. However, it all beats goo in a can.

Hmm, MWF holds up fine in my scuttle and I have it sitting on a little cup warmer. Not sure what temperature it really is in the scuttle. Mine isn't particualry deep (2.5" or so) so maybe I'm loosing just enough heat.

I think I'll give MWF a try with lukewarm water though. Sounds interesting. I wasn't aware of a potential issue with hot water and the lanolin.

Thank you, Jose! That may be the best tutorial I've ever seen. Bravo!

I especially appreciate your guidance on water temperature for soaking and lathering. It never occured to me that my love of hot lather and scalding water may be compromising the shave.

Top Bottom