What's new

How to keep SC's fresh?

So I have been on a buying spree and I have accumulated a variety of shaving creams because I like them better than soaps.

Then it dawned on me, do shaving creams sour or other wise spoil or breakdown?

If so how should they be stored to preserve them?

Should I use a utensil or some other object besides my finger to scoop it out?

Do I need to take the age of the SC into consideration when buying from an individual?

I know you shave jedi's out there know the answers to these questions for this newbie.

Thanks,

I'm afraid that I don't have any solid answers for you except this -- some creams will dry out a bit over time. "Time" in this case being measured in years, depending on the airtight capabilities of the original container. Many folks, myself included, have had success with rehydrating a dried out cream. Frankly though, it's not something I worry about.

As for scooping, I tend to use my brush. Others will use their finger, while still others will use a spoon or popsicle stick. There's some concern among a few folks that introducing foreign matter to your cream (e.g. brush or finger) may contaminate cream with bacteria, etc. I suppose that this is possible, but absent a significant case of acne, it's not something I'd personally worry about.

The bottom line: buy at will, and enjoy!

I am happy to see that someone posted that question. I too have been wondering how long my creams will last especially the hard to find discontinued creams such as C&E Sweet Almond Oil (my personal favourite). The other discontinued creams such as C&E Sienna and Sandlewood I can live without but Sweet Almond Oil......I don't know.

Regards,

Opus X

I have a tub of TOBS Almond cream that I bought early on in my transition to wetshaving, which was a little over 2 years ago. I am still working on it and it is as good as the day I bought it. My personal preference is to scoop the cream out with something other than my finger. I use a tube key that came with a Crabtree and Evelyn shave cream.

My personal preference is to scoop the cream out with something other than my finger. I use a tube key that came with a Crabtree and Evelyn shave cream.

That's pretty cool. I was thinking of one of those hourdurve spreader thingies, looks like a miniature butter knife. I might give the tube key some consideration.

I'm afraid that I don't have any solid answers for you except this -- some creams will dry out a bit over time. "Time" in this case being measured in years, depending on the airtight capabilities of the original container. Many folks, myself included, have had success with rehydrating a dried out cream. Frankly though, it's not something I worry about.

The bottom line: buy at will, and enjoy!

Thanks Gruder

A lot of creams will have a little stamp on them somewhere that are like the expiration date. It will look like a little jar and have something such as "24M" inside it. That means the product is good for 24 months. My C&E Sandlewood tub has this.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The only thing that can happen is a cream might dry out. If this happens just add a bit of water and give it a good stir. Most tubs have a 12m or 24m stamp on it like a previous member mentioned. Thats the company hoping people will throw their creams out and buy new ones. :wink:
I've yet to hear of a cream going bad from just sitting and nothing a quick stir couldn't fix.

I've only been using better shaving creams since October, so I don't have anything old enough to go bad. I have noticed that some creams tend to separate a bit though. Not a problem if it's in a tub, just give it a stir & you're good to go as Handy pointed out.
Creams in a tube can be a bit more trouble and I've noticed a bit of a separation issue with Tom's of Maine products and Musgo Real cream. If you have this happen, submerge the closed tube in a bowl of hot (but not too hot) water for a few minutes and then gently knead the tube with your fingers. I say gently because I had a tube of Tom's of Maine Calendula cream that split and leaked due kneading too vigorously on the metal tube. This was not good because I really like this cream and it's being discontinued.

Al

The good creams cost a ton and I use a small rubber spatula to measure out just what I need. A portion about the size of a dime works great. Spatula insures a high yield from your tub. Get one at Bed, Bath & Beyond for a couple bucks.

Really good to know. As you accumulate this stuff and try different items every day, you start to wonder if any of it will go bad.

Great thread!

Really good to know. As you accumulate this stuff and try different items every day, you start to wonder if any of it will go bad.

Great thread!

Actually I never really worried about it. Maybe I should given my preference for some of the higher end creams.

Top Bottom