What's new

How to increase your B&B participation (and post count)

A simple observation, and why I love B&B. For every shave, if you have the time and are so inclined to post to the following threads, you will surely increase your post count in record time:

1) What pre shave did you use today?
2) What’s your soap today? (Or… What Was Your Cream Today?)
3) What’s Your Brush Today?
4) What razor/blade did you use today? (There’s a similar thread for SEs and straights.)
5) What Aftershave did you use today?
6) Fragrance / Scent of the day
7) What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

And for those participating, there’s also the option of posting to weekly or monthly threads, such as MDC Monday, Tallow Tabac Tuesday, and Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME), as well as Clubs and Brotherhood specific groups and personal journals.

That’s a good 9-10 posts a day, only to document your shave. Have I missed any?

Great list!

Some of the other more conversational threads include:
  • What TV series are you watching? (And the corresponding, Last Movie You Watched)
  • What are you listening to?
  • What are you reading?
And then there are the consumables:
  • Beer of the Day
  • Whats for dinner in your house?
  • What is your breakfast?
And probably several other that escape me at the moment... :p

# Edit: Oops, I just realised this was in General Shaving Discussion. My bad.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
What about the 365 shaves in threads, bound to increase your post count by 365 per year (366 in a leap year) or one of @Grundi participation threads which comes with the added benefit of free blades.
The thing that has increased my post count is being the lone voice of sanity in a world that that for some reason loves Arko, well that and @FarmerTan who derails a thread at the drop of an Arko stick

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
What about the 365 shaves in threads, bound to increase your post count by 365 per year (366 in a leap year) or one of @Grundi participation threads which comes with the added benefit of free blades.
The thing that has increased my post count is being the lone voice of sanity in a world that that for some reason loves Arko, well that and @FarmerTan who derails a thread at the drop of an Arko stick
Some people call it a derailment, I like to think of it as a de-tale-ment....

A simple observation, and why I love B&B. For every shave, if you have the time and are so inclined to post to the following threads, you will surely increase your post count in record time:

1) What pre shave did you use today?
2) What’s your soap today? (Or… What Was Your Cream Today?)
3) What’s Your Brush Today?
4) What razor/blade did you use today? (There’s a similar thread for SEs and straights.)
5) What Aftershave did you use today?
6) Fragrance / Scent of the day
7) What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

And for those participating, there’s also the option of posting to weekly or monthly threads, such as MDC Monday, Tallow Tabac Tuesday, and Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME), as well as Clubs and Brotherhood specific groups and personal journals.

That’s a good 9-10 posts a day, only to document your shave. Have I missed any?
Also click a few likes as you post to those threads.

If you allow me:

Before retirement, I used to work as an airline pilot.✈️
Early in my career, there was this Pan Am 747 (then a new airplane, considered huge) with 350 or more passengers on board following on approach this British BAC 1-11 (even then considered small and anaemic) with just about 90 passengers.
The controller asked the 747 pilot whether he had the BAC 1-11 in sight (so he could reduce the distance between the two), to which the rather self-important 747 pilot replied: “We have the small twin in sight”.
To which the British BAC 1-11 pilot in his British accent just commented: “It is quality and not size that matters.”

Same here, I don’t think we should actively encourage posts of little value (or gratuitous still lives with razor, shaving brush, shaving soap/cream and aftershave) that add little value to our discussions.
To me, the value of a forum, or of my contributions for that matter, is measured by the rate of meaningful and worthwhile discussions and not the number of posts where someone reports that he shaved with a Parker 96R, an Astra SP blade, Omega boar brush, Proraso shaving cream and Proraso aftershave this morning.

I couldn’t care less what my post count is, what matters to me is that I add, and find, something worthwhile to take note of.
But then again, I have been shaving for donkey years and nowadays mine forums for tidbits of new information and not the stuff that I have seen zillion times before.
In other words: I am an old fart…:pipe:

B.

Last edited:
If you allow me:

Early in my career, there was this Pan Am 747 (then a new airplane, considered huge) with 350 or more passengers on board following on approach this British BAC 1-11 (even then considered small and anaemic) with just about 90 passengers.
The controller asked the 747 pilot whether he had the BAC 1-11 in sight (so he could reduce the distance between the two), to which the rather self-important 747 pilot replied: “We have the small twin in sight”.
To which the British BAC 1-11 pilot in his British accent just commented: “It is quality and not size that matters.”

Same here, I don’t think we should actively encourage posts of little value (or gratuitous still lives with razor, shaving brush, shaving soap/cream and aftershave) that add little value to our discussions.
To me, the value of a forum, or of my contributions for that matter, is measured by the rate of meaningful and worthwhile discussions and not the number of posts where someone reports that he shaved with a Parker 96R, an Astra SP blade, Omega boar brush, Proraso shaving cream and Proraso aftershave this morning.

I couldn’t care less what my post count is, what matters to me is that I add, and find, something worthwhile to take note of.
But then again, I have been shaving for donkey years and nowadays mine forums for tidbits of new information and not the stuff that I have seen zillion times before.

B.
I like the sotd. I like to see what people are using. Somtimes I go off searching for the stuff I see. Then there might be a weird SOTD like someone using a Techmatic.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you allow me:

B.
Good point.

I doubt that I have posted ANYTHING on Badger and Blade that has ANY redeeming qualities as to shaving wisdom.

It is my personal "playground" if you will; it has saved me a TON on therapy.

The fact that the Moderators let me run mostly free I can only attribute to their longsuffering mercy towards another old fart: ME!

That, or they secretly have a place where they take the new members and show them my posts as an example of poor behavior?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
There are enough different types of content on B&B to interest a very wide variety of perspectives.

If I see stuff that doesn't interest me, or that I don't care for, I just move to the next topic.

Personally, I like to see what gear other folks use and also enjoy understanding what attributes they consider important.

Most importantly, I find B&B to be a fun place to hang out and interact with some fine folks. :)

Top Bottom