What's new

How to Identify Ivory Scales

The two things I noticed when I bought this, were that the scales were extremely thin, and that they had a noticeable grain to them.
I wasn't sure when I bought it what the differences between Bakelite and my more commonly acquired celluloid scales were, so I assumed at the time it was Bakelite.

HOWEVER, I have recently done some research online and am finding that bakelite was never made particularly thin, or at least, is about as thin as celluloid in most cases, and as well, does not take on this "grain" I am seeing..

could these be ivory or some other horn? The blade is an I. Pearce wedge, and from what I have seen online may date around the mid-1800s. However, I. Pearce was a Sheffield company, and although there is another word rubbed out below "I. Pearce" it is not "Sheffield" as it start with "15 A....".

Does anyone know whether sheffield blade makers used ivory around this time or when "sheffield" became a trademark and was put on razors?

Apparently you can put a hot pin against it and it will melt if it's not real, i may try that....(I tried to photograph the grain as well as possible, it is compared to the thickness of my celluloided dublduck below)

Edit: I tried the pin test twice, it did not melt at all, nor was there any sort of smell produced

Last edited:
Ivory is the tusk of some animal. You have bone.

Ivory is a form of bone. But normal bone has veins in it. I can see them clearly.

I agree also its bone. Once you handle real Ivory there is nothing else like it. Also Ivory is quite different than bone. its like calling a chunk of Graphite a Diamond. same material but structure is totally different.

I agree also its bone. Once you handle real Ivory there is nothing else like it. Also Ivory is quite different than bone. its like calling a chunk of Graphite a Diamond. same material but structure is totally different.

I agree, its bone and once you handle ivory you will know clearly.

thanks for the info, it seems quite conclusive, I suppose if i'd chosen piano instead of guitar i'd be more aware of the textures (then again, i've got mother of pearl inlays on one neck...)

Top Bottom