What's new

How to identify Avon Island Lime?

Hi Guys,

I got 1 Avon Island Lime from Ebay that is fantastic. So fantastic, I bought what I thought were 2 more. They however, were different, more like Brut.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

It could be Brut. The Avon Lime was new 50 years ago. Could be that someone refilled the containers with something else once they were empty, you never know with this stuff.

Like you, I love the Island Lime. The Avon Leather, Bay Rum, & Wild Country are also really good. And can be found dirt cheap sometimes. The Leather is a really good complement to Tabac soap to my nose.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yup. Labels fall off and are (sometimes!) reglued, bottles put back in wrong boxes etc.

Smells like Brut? :a39: Could be Deep Woods or older vintage Wild Country. On the plus side, those smell great too!

The Island Lime can be hard to find, but yes- it's really good! Much more natural than Pinaud Lime Sec, for example.

I've played "sniff and guess which Avon" many times with unmarked bottles at junk stores.

AA

I've played "sniff and guess which Avon" many times with unmarked bottles at junk stores.

AA

^^^This!

Once you've trained your nose on the Avon scents you'll have a much better success rate at finding the ones you like.

Last time I found a car bottle of Island Lime I took it to the front counter and asked the young lady to open it for me so I could check it. She seemed a little confused at first, but I told her it was probably 50+ years old and I wanted to check if it was still good. I gave her a chance to smell it - she liked it.
She then put it on hold under the counter while I did more shopping. Later when I bought it she had put a note on it saying "Give the nice gentleman a 10% discount". I had no problem with that! lol

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yup. Labels fall off and are (sometimes!) reglued, bottles put back in wrong boxes etc.

Smells like Brut? :a39: Could be Deep Woods or older vintage Wild Country. On the plus side, those smell great too!

The Island Lime can be hard to find, but yes- it's really good! Much more natural than Pinaud Lime Sec, for example.

AA

I had been collecting aftershaves and Avon aftershaves for 10 years, from garage sales, antique and thrift stores, before running into my first bottles of Island Lime. Last year I was in a thrift store about 10 minutes before their closing time. Found a bunch of new old stock Avon, all in their different flavors, still in their boxes and full of their heavenly juice.

They had four full bottles of Island Lime. I grabbed all four. It's a great scent. Not my favorite Avon and not my favorite lime aftershave, but still good enough I will use them. :)

Top Bottom