What's new

How to ID a Gillette NEW

I know how sometimes can be hard to distinguish between these, and I think there isn't a thread gathering all of the different models, if there is ... well, I apologize in advance! :tongue_sm

Without going too deep, and ignoring all the different handles, etc ... This is meant only to ID the head, which in most cases is what really matters.

American NEWs

NEW LC and NEW SC:

These are fairly easy to tell apart. Aside from the obvious difference in the comb's length, the biggest difference is where the logo is placed. The LC models usually have Gillette's logo on the left side, while on the SC it is stamped on the center of the base plate. These were made in USA, Canada and England (only the LC version).

Long Comb on the left, Short Comb on the right.

Profile view

NEW DeLuxe:

These are also very easy to distinguish, NO studs (unlike the New Improved - which are not the same family of razors) and the totally flat bottom plate. There's two versions of this head, the 17mm and the 15 mm as the second link shows.Again, the Deluxe was made in the USA, Canada and England.

NEW DeLuxe Red & Black set

17 and 15mm base plate

English NEWs

Flat Bottom NEWs:

These come with several different configurations of alignment pins, but basically the heads are all the same and they shave the same, too. I will link here three different examples, you can see its profile view in the first link, all Flat Bottoms are like that.

The most common, Twin Pin Flat Bottom NEW

This one that Chris calls the "winged round pins" , notice the little wings. This is the regular Round Pins NEW without the wings.No matter how different the pins are, there's many different types, Biased Pins, Capital I pins, T pins, etc ... as long as the head profile is as seen on Achim's picture (first link) it's a Flat Bottom. AFAIK, produced in England only.

Raised Flat Bottom NEWs (RFB)These came in 2 and 3 piece versions and the name says it all, instead of a totally flat bottom as seen above, on these the center of the base plate is raised.

2 piece example, a Gillette NEW #77

And a 3 piece example, the #44 set

The Goodwill

These are very easy to ID, made from regular LC NEW parts, but back then were adapted to receive only the New Gillette Blade. Fairly easy to ID.

English Goodwill

American Goodwill -
Only difference between these are the round vs square indentations.

Profile View of an American Goodwill showing its very distinctive shape.

There's other versions, such as the Canadian Goodwill, some even have a really nice Art Deco style cap, but their basic design is the same and should be very easy to ID. Also, Goodwill razors were produced in South America too ( Brazil and Argentina) including a SC version, our friend Jeff has one of those.

I hope this post will be of some use, at least to some of you. At least I had fun creating it, as the NEW are my absolute favorite razor, and any excuse to talk about them is a good excuse. :tongue_smThere's some obscure and somewhat rare versions not mentioned here, but this should give you a very good idea about the different types of the Gillette NEW razors.

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far ... Now, let's hope I didn't forget any major type of NEW ... :lol:

Now, the post has nothing but links (the pics were too many - had to be like this) but I'll post here my two favorite NEWs.

My Big Boy DeLuxe:

$CAM01373.jpg

The #77:

$CAM01160.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone!

Chris, thank you for that link ... the #81 is sooo cool! :001_wub::001_tt1: I would love to get my hands on one ... They seem to be so rare that I don't even bother looking for one though ... Maybe someday.

Btw, the thread is by no means an attempt to replace Achim's site. His site is the biggest source of knowledge we have (apart from our own Shave Wiki) and we owe him a lot. Thank you Achim!

I just thought it wouldn't be bad to have the BASICS in one thread. Probably not the best I could have done, but I hope it will help some.

Where do i get an 81?!

Excellent question! :laugh:

I know Doc has one, Porter has a couple of them too. Not sure about others ...

FWIW I have never seen one for sale on eBay, or anywhere else, in the last several months (almost a year) at least.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Chris, thank you for that link ... the #81 is sooo cool! :001_wub::001_tt1: I would love to get my hands on one ... They seem to be so rare that I don't even bother looking for one though ... Maybe someday.

Btw, the thread is by no means an attempt to replace Achim's site. His site is the biggest source of knowledge we have (apart from our own Shave Wiki) and we owe him a lot. Thank you Achim!

I just thought it wouldn't be bad to have the BASICS in one thread. Probably not the best I could have done, but I hope it will help some.

Excellent question! :laugh:

I know Doc has one, Porter has a couple of them too. Not sure about others ...

FWIW I have never seen one for sale on eBay, or anywhere else, in the last several months (almost a year) at least.

:001_rolle

proxy.php

Well, I knew you have a #81 too, Achim! You have them all anyway ... :lol::thumbup:

Thank you Mike! Chris' photos are truly amazing and a great help.

Last edited:
Thanks Edgar! This will be the helpful to alllllll of us new people, and I for 1 appreciate it a bunch. I also appreciate that you are so available to help the new guy! You da man Edgar!

:a47: That #77 is Amazing!

Thanks Edgar! This will be the helpful to alllllll of us new people, and I for 1 appreciate it a bunch. I also appreciate that you are so available to help the new guy! You da man Edgar!

:a47: That #77 is Amazing!

David, thanks for the kind words as always! It's also my pleasure to help whenever I can.

The #77 is a great razor, but I prefer the Big Boy Deluxe, hope you're enjoying yours! But yeah ... you need a #77 too. :lol::tongue_sm

Here are some nice pics from this thread.

For reference here is a more recent comparison image of British Long Comb New heads.
There are a few missing Winged Pin, T-Pin, and Fanged Tab. I'll do another comparison shot soon.

From left: Raised Flat Bottom small pin, Raised Flat Bottom long pin, Flat Bottom i pin (no corner tabs), Flat Bottom biased i pin, Flat Bottom capital I pin (no corner tabs), Round pin, Zinc round pin.
proxy.php

Top Bottom