What's new

How to handle Soap Acquisition Disorder?

+1
Shave more.

or shave more things :wink2:

proxy.php

Mix it up by type of soap, manufacturer, and scent. One of each. Focus on what you like, and let that guide you to other purchases, but don't let that stop you from trying new things, and even a second or third brand of something that you didn't like.

I got lucky with the timing and inherited Evbo's [thread=90390]Shave Snob Mystery Box![/thread]. That gave me a great sample of some top notch soaps and creams, among other things, and some not so great things. For example, I really hate French soaps. But I'm still using about half that stuff. Between that box and what else I'd picked up, I had a pretty good basis for comparing and choosing other products, most of which turned out well, though not all. For example, both TOBS & Trumpers creams burned my face.

Ok, so I am still a newbie handling soaps. Tried Tabac which I love, Crabtree's Nomad which is ok, glycerin based soaps - not a big fan (sorry Mama & Col Conk). So I am planning on going through some soaps systematically (if possible). Should I stick with one brand and get all flavors, or just try one of each of the most popular from each brand? Which, I am still not convinced on Avocado, but hey, people seem to like, it will just have to go to the bottom of my list. I am not trying to go for broke, just yet, but 3-5 soaps will do.

How did you decided or get started sampling soaps?

yes...try them all

I managed to get over my RAD for the last 6 months. But as of last week I bought 3 shave sticks for no other reason than to try em out. And now after reading some threads about Mama Bear and AoS, I want to acquire some of those as well.

You know what they say, starve a fevor, feed an addiction. :001_tongu

Ok, so I am still a newbie handling soaps. Tried Tabac which I love, Crabtree's Nomad which is ok, glycerin based soaps - not a big fan (sorry Mama & Col Conk). So I am planning on going through some soaps systematically (if possible). Should I stick with one brand and get all flavors, or just try one of each of the most popular from each brand? Which, I am still not convinced on Avocado, but hey, people seem to like, it will just have to go to the bottom of my list. I am not trying to go for broke, just yet, but 3-5 soaps will do.

How did you decided or get started sampling soaps?

if by Avocado you're referring to Taylor's, it doesn't come in a soap. I think TOBS soaps are only in sandalwood and lavender, but I could be wrong.

Here's my list of 3-5 to try for sure:

AOS (any flavor will do but Sandalwood gets my vote): I haven't even tried the soap but the cream is fantastic.

P160.. just get it and thank me later.

Cade by L'Occitane. I sniff this everyday and enjoy it.

P160... b/c you should and no longer being produced.

Just give in to your SAD.

Acquisition Disorders exist for a huge variety of products - from shoes to Italian motor scooters, Omega watches to Leica cameras, Golf clubs to fishing rods. Star Wars memorabilia AD is relatively recent arrival and a close friend who once worked in a music (instrument) store regularly saw Gear AD among certain customers (electric guitars being the most common) which helped boost his sales figures (and thus his bonus) a great deal.

The thing about a SAD is (apart from the unfortunate acronym) that compared to many other AD's it is actually relatively inexpensive. A woman with Shoe AD (an extremely common AD which occasionally crosses over to a genuine and serious psychological condition) could easily spend the same on a single pair of shoes as what would buy several dozen top-end soaps.

I think it is the relatively low cost of SAD over many other ADs that makes tracking down soaps such good fun. The thrill of the chase and the excitement that comes when a package arrives on your doorstep doesn't cost that much in the overall scheme of things. Chances are that it will burn itself out but unlike many ADs, you are unlikely to be genuinely poor at the end of it.

I think it is the relatively low cost of SAD over many other ADs that makes tracking down soaps such good fun. The thrill of the chase and the excitement that comes when a package arrives on your doorstep doesn't cost that much in the overall scheme of things. Chances are that it will burn itself out but unlike many ADs, you are unlikely to be genuinely poor at the end of it.

Sir, you speak nothing but the truth.

Over the last 20+ years I've suffered from GAD......that's guitar acquisition disorder. My last acquisition, a Clapton Strat :drool: finally cured my GAD. SAD and RAD doesn't seem so bad to me these days. It's much easier on the wallet. :thumbup:

Top Bottom