What's new

How to give a straight razor shave

It is easy to disinfect a conventional straight razor. BTW, combs, clippers, shears, and brushes also have to be disinfected between clients.

You have to disinfect the razor after stropping as the leather strop is porous and can't be disinfected.

It is easy to disinfect a conventional straight razor. BTW, combs, clippers, shears, and brushes also have to be disinfected between clients.

You have to disinfect the razor after stropping as the leather strop is porous and can't be disinfected.

I suspect the stropping issue is the reason many states prohibit the use of straight razors by barbers.

I suspect the stropping issue is the reason many states prohibit the use of straight razors by barbers.

One just has to disinfect the razor after stropping. It's not difficult. I know that many barbers in Washington State tell clients that straight razors are illegal, but it just ain't so. Those barbers just don't want to do shaves.

One just has to disinfect the razor after stropping. It's not difficult. I know that many barbers in Washington State tell clients that straight razors are illegal, but it just ain't so. Those barbers just don't want to do shaves.

I do not know about Washington, but in some states, straight razors are prohibited.

I asked my barber why he does not give shaves. He indicated that there is too much liability of getting sued if a client is nicked with the razor. Thus, liability insurance is prohibitively expensive in many areas like Chicago where juries tend to award outrageous sums to claimants.

Top Bottom